General Wargaming

Begin a game (for newbie)

Posted by Paul on 21 Aug 2010, 17:38

Fabien G wrote:I just read this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5456
and, see, that's just what I wrote earlier, a complain about the fact that the soldiers are not supposed to go with the tanks (not the same period of time) and trenches not realistic. With all my mixed period soldiers and sizes and tanks from all over the battle grounds, I feel so... amateur!

Don´t feel amatuer, the important thing is to have fun. I mean look at all the LOTR / fantasy / futurewars players...they certainly aren´t historically accurate and they have fun.
There´s always going to be something historically innacurate about little plastic/metal bods, wether the cut of the uniform or the length of a guns barrel.
I´m thinking of putting T.Omkins up against the romans.... :-)
Paul  China

Posted by Tantallon2 on 21 Aug 2010, 18:21

One of my most fun games was a war between two imaginary kingdoms where one was stuck in the middle ages and the other was Napoleonic. As I remember the medieval ones won (which isn't perhaps too far fetched - longbowmen had a higher rate of fire, similar or better range and much better accuracy than muskets). I seem to remember I even mixed 25mm figures in with 20mm but I had a great time (this was a long time ago).

As Paul says, it is all about having fun - don't get too hung up on completely accuracy.
Tantallon2  Scotland

Posted by Fabien G on 16 Sep 2010, 23:43

Well it's just a personal choice, I would never have made such an imaginary war, but it's good you had some fun.

Anther question for you. In the sets, there are always some pose where the soldier just stand, or bend, carry something, or even surrenders. Do you use these figures? They don't really fight, so do you them in wargames?
Fabien G  France

Posted by musketier on 17 Sep 2010, 05:04

one can use them as markers to represent units that have surrendered or are disordered or you can use them as spare parts for conversion to a 'fighting' pose. Also some rules allow for logistic support to come into play. The only poses I rarely use are prone ones but thats just a preference I have.
musketier  United States of America

Previous page

Return to General Wargaming