General

for Rafa; Klüx Brigade at Dresden / Kulm

Posted by Herbert on 02 Dec 2007, 18:43

Hi Rafa,

i saw your question at the napoleon series but i am not registered there, so here my answer, once after Plotho, once after Großer Generalstab (GSt)
Brigade Klüx 9. Brigade:

1st West Prussian Infantry Regiment
Plotho: Obrist-Lieutenant von Schmalensee
GSt: same
6th Reserve Infantry Regiment
Plotho: Major von Löbell
GSt. same
Silesian Schützen Battalion (only 1. and 2. Companies)
Plotho: Kapt. Graf von Hohenstädt
GSt: not given
Neumärk Dragoon Regiment
Plotho: Major von Bork
GSt: Major von Borcke (so obviously the same)
7th Silesian Landwehr Regiment
Plotho: Major von Kikebusch
GSt: Major von Falkenhausen, a Major Kuckbusch is mentioned as
commander 1. Bat.

The commander of the 1st Silesian Landwher Cavalry Regiment was after both sources Major von Reichenbach, but after Plotho the regiment belongs to the 12th Brigade, not the 9th, the GSt gives 2 squadrons of silesian Landwehr (without given a number) to each of this Brigades.

Plotho is from 11. August (16 days before the battle of Dresden), GSt is from 11. September, 16 days after the battle, the Landwehr units data is from "middle August))

regards
Herbert
Herbert  Germany

Posted by rpardo on 02 Dec 2007, 20:05

Herbert
Many, many thanks for your answer... I need that information for my next wargame :-)
Do you have the Plotho book about 1813?... I have the pdf version but I don't understand the german. I can't use translation software because the input must be in ASCII and my OCR don't acknowledge the gothic font...
Regards
rpardo  Spain

Posted by Herbert on 02 Dec 2007, 20:08

rafa

i have the plotho books as download from google, the GSt books i have as "real" books. The downloads are very bad in some parts, nearly not readable on some pages.
If you need more information like this one feel free to ask. i like reading in this books, so it will be no problem.

Herbert
Herbert  Germany

Posted by rpardo on 03 Dec 2007, 10:10

Thanks for your offering... I only understand english and french as foreign languages
rpardo  Spain

Posted by Herbert on 03 Dec 2007, 12:35

than you are one ahead :-D
i wish i would be able to read french. i know some words, and with the help of a dictionary small passages are ok, but books not :(

an additional information about the prussian brigades, here the 9th brigade:
i don´t know how deep you want to go into this for your purpose, but perhaps it is usefull.
the prussian brigade command structure was perhaps a bit strange.
there was a brigade chef who leads all the elements of a brigade, infantry, cavalry and artillery. in case of the 9th that was general major von Klüx.
additionally there was a brigade commander who leads the infantry elements of the brigade. this was allways the commander of the most senior regiment in the brigade, so allways the one of the line regiment in the 1st to 12th brigades in 1813-14. in the 9th brigade that was lieutenant-colonel von Schmalensee. so in fact, the regiment itself was lead in the battle by the most senior staffofficer, that can be one of the three battalion commanders or a supernumary or attached staffofficer.
bat. commanders of the 1st west prussians were (Plotho, 10 August):
1st Bat. Major von Henne
2nd Bat. Major Stach von Goltzheim
Fus.Bat. Major von Douglas
GSt gives the same names for 11. September without a battalionnumber, and mentioned first the Major Stach von Goltzheim. So i think he is the most senior staffofficer. There is no supernumary (= "überzählig") or attac hed(= "aggregiert") staffofficer mentioned.
if you need to be sure with this information i can try to figure it out. there is the regimental history of the 1st west prussian available on google.
Herbert
Herbert  Germany

Posted by rpardo on 03 Dec 2007, 19:46

Herbert
IMO there is not superfluous knowledge (sorry by my crude english!)
I have mixed interests in the hobby: painting figures, playing wargames and learning history... In this actual case I only needed the names for the shake of the "reality" of a wargame ;-) but your information is very interesting because I was not sure of it, for example the fact that an officer different from the commander (Klux in this case) commanded the infantry contigent of the brigade is new to me... so many thanks for the information
Have you think to register in the Napoleon series Forum? You could add the german point of view in a "sea" of english-speakers!
Regards
rpardo  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Herbert on 03 Dec 2007, 20:00

rafa,
von schmalensee commanded the infantry contingent but ofcourse Klüx was in overall command of the brigade.
With the napoleon series: i think i can´t add much that others don´t know much better (for example Oliver Schmidt). if i am in problems i ask in the napoleon online forum, a german forum of markus stein. usually Oliver or one of the others can help. btw, oliver answered in the series to your question and gave the commander of the whole schuetzen battalion.
i read the series just to learn, it´s like with you, my interests are reading and painting. i don´t know anybody around here to wargame with, so i can´t judge this. it sounds interesting anyway, but i think start solowargaming isn´t so handy.

Herbert
Herbert  Germany

Posted by rpardo on 04 Dec 2007, 08:12

The advantage of solo gaming is you have all the time of the world to run a battle! and you only can argue with yourself! :lol:
rpardo  Spain

Posted by Herbert on 04 Dec 2007, 11:01

that´s true, and perhaps, one day.....who knows :-D
Herbert  Germany

Return to General