General

Currently reading?

Posted by Susofrick on 28 Dec 2009, 09:18

Bought The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson. Read it in its original Swedish (Swedish title: Röde Orm) manymanymany times. Going to be fun reading it in another language. A very well recommended book about the Vikings. Well worth checking it out at the local library or at some store for used books. :thumbup:
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by poky on 29 Dec 2009, 20:51

Temeraire by Naomi Novik its about the Napoleon war with a dragon air-force easy and fun read.
Seven Pillars Of Wisdom by T E Lawrence
and Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett just started on the last 2
poky  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 29 Dec 2009, 21:19

poky wrote:Temeraire by Naomi Novik its about the Napoleon war with a dragon air-force easy and fun read.

Good choice Poky :thumbup: It's fun reading them, all five of them ;-) like I told before ;-)

Peter wrote:
Peter wrote:I'm currently reading some books about Nappies and ..............dragons :shock:

More info will follow........

Greetings Peter

No curiuos people here on this forum? Well I was reading a book from Naomi Novik, Nappie time with airforce of dragons, The book is called Temeraire (name of the dragon). I like the mix of history and fantasy! Trafallgar, Marengo with dragons :shock: Now I'm reading part two, and after this still three to go :shock:

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Paul on 19 Feb 2010, 15:55

After watching the film, I read the book, "Defiance" the true story of the Bielski brothers. I recommend reading the book and ignoring the film.

"Forgotten voices of the great war".
True stories told by the people, British, german and American who actually lived thorough this event. Not bad for describing small scale tactics, equipment use and large battles, eg; I never knew that the tanks of the time had anchors for tearing up the barbed wire.

"five people you meet in heaven". Again better than the film.
Paul  China

Posted by musketier on 19 Feb 2010, 18:10

Paul did you also know that the tank crews, after being in action for a day required a couple days at the aid station after wards. Due to the fact that they were subjected to the flash that occurred from bullets striking the exterior of the vehicles and the fact that the engines exhausted its fumes into the fighting compartment.
musketier  United States of America

Posted by Paul on 19 Feb 2010, 19:37

musketier wrote:Paul did you also know that the tank crews, after being in action for a day required a couple days at the aid station after wards. Due to the fact that they were subjected to the flash that occurred from bullets striking the exterior of the vehicles and the fact that the engines exhausted its fumes into the fighting compartment.

Those details are in the book. Worse than small arms strikes was apparently grenades and mortar size shells landing between the "horns" of the tank making it jump up on it´s rear end like a ship going into a big wave. :vomit:
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 21 Feb 2010, 13:25

I am currently reading some Classic book: Don Featherstones complete Wargaming.
I bought it via Ebay England as it is nearly totally unavailable here in Germany and I am a big fan of what is called Old Scool Wargaming and everything related to it.

Cheers Markus
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Feb 2010, 13:47

Fantastic book, packed full of useable wargaming tips.
Possibly old DF's best.
donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 21 Feb 2010, 17:11

yep it is. I always find something out of old Books for my games. Sometimes it is only Ideas but sometimes whole sections of rules.
And of course it is some kind of time machine for me traveling back in time to the years when I started wargaming.

:love: :love: :love:
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Posted by musketier on 21 Feb 2010, 18:34

Paul wrote:
musketier wrote:Paul did you also know that the tank crews, after being in action for a day required a couple days at the aid station after wards. Due to the fact that they were subjected to the flash that occurred from bullets striking the exterior of the vehicles and the fact that the engines exhausted its fumes into the fighting compartment.

Those details are in the book. Worse than small arms strikes was apparently grenades and mortar size shells landing between the "horns" of the tank making it jump up on it´s rear end like a ship going into a big wave. :vomit:

Ouch! and with No suspension on the vehicles no wonder they needed hospital stay after wards.

Posted by Susofrick on 22 Feb 2010, 09:30

Started with Poltava by Peter Englund yesterday. Have read his books about the 30-yearswar and found this when we went through the missus' sister's books. A little surprise to find it there, but she bought a lot of books.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by musketier on 22 Feb 2010, 16:15

Susofrick wrote:Started with Poltava by Peter Englund yesterday. Have read his books about the 30-yearswar and found this when we went through the missus' sister's books. A little surprise to find it there, but she bought a lot of books.

Excellent, a very interesting campaign to read about.

Posted by Martin on 22 Feb 2010, 16:15

Now I've got plenty time reading:
"The Waterloo Campaign" by William Siborne;
"Voor de troon wordt men niet ongestraft geboren" by 2 Dutch biographers. The book is about the first Dutch Kings, William I to William III: Their lives, intrigues at the court, bloodshed, struggle for power, change of political systems, madness etc. Typical 19th Century situations.
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by musketier on 27 Feb 2010, 06:40

I just finished 'Ancient and Medieval Warfare' by Oliver Lyman Spaulding and Hoffman Nickerson. A very interesting book, a little difficult to follow (old grammer) but I do recommend it.

Posted by Madknight on 28 Feb 2010, 12:35

Warwick the Kingmaker & the wars of the roses by Paul Murray Kendall and History of the middle ages by Alfred Baldamus. Just finished The Runes of Sorcery by Jane Welch.
Madknight  Germany

Posted by 0wlbear on 28 Feb 2010, 12:39

a book about special operations in Medieval times. I believe it is called special forces in the age of chivalry
It's really interesting because tells a lot about how famous sieges were won/lost by means of treason and how the Burgundian's almost lost their leader in the siege of Liege.
0wlbear  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Madknight on 28 Feb 2010, 13:00

Is it Special operations in the age of chivalry 1100-1500 by Yuval Noah Harari ? Couldn't bring myself to spend 80 Euros for this one until now, but now I'm seriously considering it. You should also read Medieval mercenaries, business of war by William Urban.
Madknight  Germany

Posted by 0wlbear on 28 Feb 2010, 13:16

yeah that's it.
I really liked it, but then again, I rented it. I don;t know if it's worth 80 euros....
0wlbear  Netherlands

Posted by Mark on 11 Apr 2010, 01:14

I'm reading Warrior of Rome part I Fire in the east by Harry Sidebottom
Mark  United Kingdom

Posted by poky on 11 Apr 2010, 21:59

Special operations in the age of chivalry is now only $21 at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Special-Operation ... 433&sr=1-1
poky  Netherlands

Previous pageNext page

Return to General