Modelling

Pavises

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Nov 2022, 03:12

Evidently, my 12 individually based crossbowmen (for Lion Rampant) would benefit from having pavises.
These, I've discovered, are large, self standing shields. They look not unlike modern riot-squad shields to me.

Easy to make? Easier to buy?? The figs are 25mm- 1/72 scale Tumbling Dice figures. Not sure that an exact size would be a deal breaker but how high should they be? Also, it's very hard to work out how they stand - do they have a back like an artist's easel? There seems to be a lean on them.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Fire at Will on 18 Nov 2022, 08:10

I made mine out of cardboard with a bit of matchstick for support. I printed out the shield patterns and glued them on the cardboard before cutting out
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Nov 2022, 09:00

They're very flash, Will.

Something to try & emulate, I think.
Thanks, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 18 Nov 2022, 09:24

These look very good indeed Will. A simple but very effective way of making these pavises, which I will probably borrow!

Where did you find the shield patterns?
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Fire at Will on 18 Nov 2022, 15:16

Minuteman wrote:These look very good indeed Will. A simple but very effective way of making these pavises, which I will probably borrow!

Where did you find the shield patterns?

On the "Danskvorspeil" site with their Burgundian flags and banners, I still have copies if you need them
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Xantippos on 23 Nov 2022, 18:20

Depends on the style you wish. There were various, the most typical is this;

With the inline shape to help stand it with a stick or pole. But not all of them had this shape, there are many several shapes;

A good source of them are the Miniart sets, they even give you too many! by far the quickest and easiest. Although if you wish for them to be of the plain type without groove, then you could recreate them quite quickly. There were even some with blades so they would stick to the ground with ease! or maybe being useful for stabbing!

For me, speaking about this matter always brings me to mind the Pavise Crossbowmen from Medieval 2 Total War;

Which, in their version, they always attached the shield to their backs, and while recharging bent under them to be protected. It struck me as very different and effective :P .

Just remembering, the new set of RedBox is very good for crossbowmen with pavise shields;

http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2661
Xantippos  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Modelling