Work in Progress

Converting a building into a transparent "dollhouse"

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 03 Apr 2022, 10:34

Instead of rolling epoxy on rods and splitting them I decided to try another method, I bought this mithre cutter tool and decided to use it to cut 3 mm wide C-shaped plastic strips:
Imageupload picture
First I cut them of and painted each little tile separetely:
But later I decided that it could be worth a try to paint the strip first, dip it in quick shade in order to prevent the paint to come off to easily and then cut it. Image
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 03 Apr 2022, 14:48

Now I tried using the chisel and hammer again to make a hole through the brick tile roof. It didn't crack in the expected pattern going through the valleys, but actually though the ridges. The pressent look is not particulary realistic looking.
I'll try to sand on the lower side and saw, grind off individual tiles.
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 03 Apr 2022, 14:58

I'll try to sand the inner side of the roof with in the drill stand with a sanding disk:
It doesn't sand fast:
I'll try hack saw, files and sawing blade for the sculpel to even out the tiles:
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Peter on 05 Apr 2022, 16:01

I like every step of this topic! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 11 Apr 2022, 21:13

Testing out how some of the loose tiles would look on the roof:
Using normal sandpaper to be able to reach into the corners:
Test attaching some coffe stirrers in order get some apreciation how loose tiles would look.
Two works better then one:
Imageladda ner musik gratis till mobilen
The actual roofing will not be as wide as these ones, it's just to get a quick estimation:
I will see if I can use some of the previus attempts at creating tiles and break them up to make some tile rubble:
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by MABO on 15 Apr 2022, 07:16

You are from Sweden? ;-)

Great idea to create the damaged roof. :yeah:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 20 Apr 2022, 20:09

Yes, I'm from Sweden.
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Susofrick on 21 Apr 2022, 07:54

Follow this with great interest, but I didn't knew that Jan know Swedish! :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 25 Sep 2022, 10:05

I did't have any really suitable plastic strips to use for the thinner roofing, so i cut some carboard strips instead. For the wider boards I use evergreen strips.
See how it fits.
It's really hard to decide where to go from here. I think, I'll have to decide how to place the walls of the rooms at the bottom floor first. I also belive that the best way is to attach them to the second level floor, so that the can be lifted with it. For wall material I'll try furniture felt pads. The idea is that maybe I'll drill holes in the floor above so that screws or pins can the used to attach the walls under. But since the felt isn't rigid enough, I'll try to harden it with some plasticator.
I bought two bottles of plasticator from ammo, thin and thick. This is meant for being used on non plastic material like e.g wood to give it a plastic surface, so that it can be painted with normal modelling paints. I will test it out on materials like this felt and on cardboard a paper. I try the thin plasticator first.
Using som weight to keep it aligned.
Then I'll try Plasticator thick och the other one in order to see if it makes any difference?
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Peter on 02 Oct 2022, 11:44

Looks good! Go on please. ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 03 Oct 2022, 07:28

Yes, please. I am following this with great interest.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Susofrick on 03 Oct 2022, 11:14

Agree with Peter and Jan! Great to see how this goes on!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 07 Oct 2022, 19:34

Now this project starts to take another turn. It will be very hard to try to sculpt stone walls, fit wall paper or paint walls after the walls for the rooms have been fit in and glued to place especially if the ceiling/floors have been glued in place, so it's time to figure out ways around this problem. Having something like lego brick walls would have been a good way to have finished walls, try out the placement, making a decision and then having them painted, fitted with wall paper or whatever and just putting them in place, would have been the ideal solution. Lego is way to thick for this scale, so it's time to look for some alternatives. My attention first goes to this material, that is somewhat similar to Lego, ++ Plusplus:
It has floors in which you could fit the different bricks and possibly replace the ceiling/upper floor in order to make a wall attach.
Can this be used in order to make a wall with a door opening, then use epoxy, styrene sheet amd or putty in order to have someting that fits well while being easily attached and deattached?
Pieces attach easily, though it can be hard fit them in to an outcome you really want. You can easily cut out the protruding parts with an sharp sidecutter.
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 08 Oct 2022, 10:46

I paint the inside walls ong the lover floor:
I try cuting out a doorway out of the hardened furniture felt an make it fit in.
I've given it some basecolor
Meanwhile I've orered some ship decking, I'll try it out for the attic floor.
Fitting it in:
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Peter on 13 Oct 2022, 17:59

Nice floor! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress