Gallery

Roman Garden Party

Posted by Santi Pérez on 14 Sep 2022, 19:04

I am speechless seeing the final result of your project, sberry. The scene is full of amazing details everywhere. Everything is wonderful, but I especially love the scenery with so much diversity of plants and all imaginable variants of the green colour. :love: :notworthy: :love: :notworthy: :love: :notworthy:

The excellent quality of the pictures enhances the greatness of the diorama. It was totally worth spending so much time and effort on photography work. ;-)

My very best congratulations. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by OwenChpw on 16 Sep 2022, 03:29

Just very impressive work, I love the individual little figures, the layout of the gardens, the composition, it all works so well. You've clearly put a lot of time into this and it shows!
OwenChpw  Australia

Posted by MABO on 18 Sep 2022, 08:13

I also like the second pictures more. A really complex arrangement and a lot of work, of course. My question is: Why are the guests are not facing each other while eating?
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by sberry on 18 Sep 2022, 17:12

Gentlemen, once again thank you for your kind remarks!

As always, I am not totally satisfied with my painting skills, and this time it was especially bad: Most of the painting took place during some of the hottest days of the year, and the acrylic paint got tacky and viscous very quick, making the painting process a real chore.
So I hoped that the garden as a whole, rather than the individual figures, might be the star of the show – I’m glad that it seems to work that way.

MABO wrote:My question is: Why are the guests are not facing each other while eating?

Yes, that is a legit question. I used the symposium figures by the late Phersu:

As you can see, they are intended for the classical Greek/Etruscan way of dining, where all guests (or couples) are reclining on individual sofas. Similar poses are found in the old Atlantic set “Greek Life”, and again in the set by Jörg Schmäling/Art Miniaturen, of which I used one figure, too:

Actually, I know of absolutely NO figures that would enable the correct poses for a genuine Roman-style dinner, where people cuddle together in a U-shaped arrangement, all heads oriented towards the center. So my options were
1. trash the whole idea,
2. do some extensive conversions,
3. use the existing figures in a somewhat awkward way.
I opted for no. 3…
sberry  Germany

Posted by MABO on 18 Sep 2022, 18:04

:yeah:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by sberry on 19 Sep 2022, 17:28

The banquet usually begins in the afternoon and can last until nightfall. But every party ends eventually, so here's the sunset photo series last:

Background: © Giorgio Galeotti, CC BY 4.0

(There is also yet another series of images, but of course the subjects eventually become similar - there are only a limited number of angles that are really interesting. But if you still haven't had enough and aren't put off by a website with the archaic charm of 2006, you can view all 120 photos (!) here.)
sberry  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 22 Sep 2022, 20:37

Fantastic party! I like the second background the most! :-D :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous page

Return to Gallery