Gallery

War of Spanish Succession

Posted by PaulRPetri on 11 May 2022, 13:43

Excellent work as always Rich. Is that one big base the figures are mounted on? And is that a base sold by To The Strongest rules fellow? Just curious.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Minuteman on 11 May 2022, 14:12

PaulRPetri wrote:Excellent work as always Rich. Is that one big base the figures are mounted on? And is that a base sold by To The Strongest rules fellow? Just curious.

I think Rich did advise on the provider of the bases a while back, although a reminder would be helpful.

I guess that my question is whether these very fine units will be 'slotted together' in a much larger diorama (Blenheim village I believe). I'm wondering, if this is so, how the well-ordered ranks here will fit into the mayhem and disorder of one of the hardest-fought actions of the C18th?
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 12 May 2022, 00:03

Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement everyone, it is appreciated.

Paul-I use Sarissa Precision Terrain Tiles. I only use these because they are practical MDF bases in 3 sizes and I'm too lazy to go and buy MDF sheets to cut myself! I get them from Arcane Scenery (in case anyone is looking to try them).

Mark-it's been far too long since you showed us your updated armies, get your hurry on! There are no real plans to put them together as one big diorama, I just want to have several different units from the battle represented. If my general modelling skills were up to it (a la Chris D), then I'd love to build a huge Blenheim village diorama. Alas...
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 12 May 2022, 15:04

Thanks for the base info Rich. They look great!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Patrick71 on 12 May 2022, 19:27

I seem to be a little bit behind in my likes and comments in this thread (and in others too :oops: ).... So for the record: what a nice colour schemes, detailed painting and fine bases! Although i 'm not that familiar with this era and war, it is very pleasing to see your mini's.
Thank you for sharing!
Patrick71  Belgium

Posted by Santi Pérez on 26 May 2022, 19:17

Wow, Will, your latest unit is outstanding (as are all the previous ones). You look like a painting machine, where do you find the time to build so many units so fast and so well? I envy you a lot. :mrgreen:

My best congratulations. :yeah:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 07 Jul 2022, 23:00

Here is the Regiment de la Baume, one of the French cavalry regiments stationed just to the left of the village of Blenheim. I didn't get around to sorting out the missing flag...whoops!

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 07 Jul 2022, 23:17

Very impressive Rich! Precise painting and nice shading and detail.

These are the mass of French cavalry of the armies of Louis XIV, and have suitably plain uniforms compared with the glitter and bling of the Maison du Roi. The Zvezda GNW Swedes work well for just about any nation's cavalry of the period; disregarding the turnbacks - which as you have done here are simply painted over and which look perfectly fine.

Until such time as Strelets are able to release their Dutch Cuirassier set, all my Dutch cavalry, and a fair few of my French too, will be based on this Dragoons of Charles XII set.

Posted by Fire at Will on 08 Jul 2022, 08:54

I'll be interested to see what standard you used as I made one up as my sources didn't show one.

for example

Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 08 Jul 2022, 09:09

The 'Sun face' with scroll and embroidery on one side of the flag, with a design - fleurs de lils, a coat of arms or A N Other motif - on the other looks to be the standard design for French line cavalry regiments of this period. Given that actual information on the flags carried is often lacking, making an educated 'guess' of what the flag was is perfectly reasonable I think.

French line cavalry often had grey coats with red facings as some sort of 'standard' uniform, but the saddle cloth allowed regimental colonels a bit more leeway in colour choice. Linking the background colour of the flag to the saddlecloth colour seems an historically viable thing to do. A white field for the flag is also a safe bet.

So far as artistic licence is concerned: I'm planning to create a couple of battalions of the Gardes de Cologne, but have no idea what the flag for this famous German unit was....it may be that they will appear on the 'battlefield' with conveniently furled flags??

Posted by Fire at Will on 08 Jul 2022, 14:27

Minuteman wrote:The 'Sun face' with scroll and embroidery on one side of the flag, with a design - fleurs de lils, a coat of arms or A N Other motif - on the other looks to be the standard design for French line cavalry regiments of this period. Given that actual information on the flags carried is often lacking, making an educated 'guess' of what the flag was is perfectly reasonable I think.

French line cavalry often had grey coats with red facings as some sort of 'standard' uniform, but the saddle cloth allowed regimental colonels a bit more leeway in colour choice. Linking the background colour of the flag to the saddlecloth colour seems an historically viable thing to do. A white field for the flag is also a safe bet.

Just what I made up but on a red field.

So far as artistic licence is concerned: I'm planning to create a couple of battalions of the Gardes de Cologne, but have no idea what the flag for this famous German unit was....it may be that they will appear on the 'battlefield' with conveniently furled flags??

You could try backdating the details for the SYW units from Cologne on Kronoskaf.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 09 Jul 2022, 14:15

That is a really nicely painted addition to your armies. Your style is excellent, as always!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Rich W on 10 Jul 2022, 23:47

Thanks for your compliments! I think the lack of knowledge on what their flag was, as well as the fact that I've never had to make a flag, put me off doing it!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 13 Jul 2022, 22:03

Wonderfull painted cavalry! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Rich W on 06 Aug 2022, 18:30

Right then, next up...Hesse-Kassel Liebregiment. This regiment was part of Wilke's brigade involved in the attack on the village of Blindheim.

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 06 Aug 2022, 19:01

That is some fine looking infantry! Like that blue uniform! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 07 Aug 2022, 16:55

I agree with Peter... and I like the groundwork as well.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Konrad on 07 Aug 2022, 20:58

Very nice work again.
Impressive!
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Minuteman on 07 Aug 2022, 23:49

These look very good Rich. A fine addition to the Allied units for your Blenheim 1704 project!

The obvious question now is...are you eventually planning to model all the regiments present at the battle?

Whatever the case, keep up the good work :yeah:

Posted by Rich W on 09 Aug 2022, 23:22

Thank you all again for your kind comments.

Mark-no chance I'll be painting every regiment at Blenheim! I'm trying to just paint a variety of the units, picking regiments that have different uniforms from each other (I'll get bored if I have to paint too many red or white coats). And by selecting the units around the village it helps keep me more focussed. Although I'm currently painting Garde du Corps and next up are the Royal Horse Grenadiers-of course neither of which were even at Blenheim...I would like to take a break from the WSS and go back to my Zulu War, Boer War and Lord of the Rings (Dark Alliance)...but those WSS figures are too damn good!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery