Game Reports

SYW with Shako rules

Posted by PaulRPetri on 17 Dec 2021, 22:08

I was very fortunate to get a quick test game in with my buddy Brian. I have long admired Arty Conliffe's games, Tactica, Crossfire and Shako (his large battle toss in rules at the end of Shako). So I decided to adapt his first version of Shako to a SYW game. I also added in his deployment rules from his first version of Tactica for good measure. So here goes.
A cardboard wall is erected in the center of the table to conceal set up of opposing armies.
I was the Austrians and I was able to deploy my army in its defensive positions. My grenadiers formed a mobil reserve... Which I completly forgot about!!

Brian's Prussian host had to come on in march columns and move in for the attack. He of course had no idea how I was set up. The Prussian's have two turns to move and deploy onto the board in line formations. They are able to place their guns 30" in from the rear table edge so they can bombard the enemy prior to attack, if they so choose. I also restricted the infantry as it had to start at least 18" from eithe end of the board, the cavalry could set up in that spot or behind the Prussian infantry.

I moved my cavalry wings out to threaten the Prussian's flank.

The second deployment turn has taken place and the Prussian's shake out into line. Large cavalry actions follow. Not a good outcome for the Austrian's

The Prussian host advances like a wall of blazing fire!!

The Austrian right wing cavalry advance!

The bloody aftermath of my left wing cavalry attack. The hussars and cuirassiers on left have given way and lost their close combats. Sigh..

The Austrian center is under some pressure!!!

The cavalry action on the right is less decisive however my hussars have been broken, not in picture and one of my dragoon regiments has been hit. Prussian hussars in back of picture have pulled back.
If a cavalry unit wins a close combat it has three options. One it can perform a 12" breakthrough move that must result in another combat. Two fall back 18" to regroup or regroup in place. After a combat the cavalry is considered "Blown" and must stand idle for one turn to get its fighting power back.

The Austrian cavalry on the left is behaving poorly!!! My flank is about to be turned.

Impressive manuevers are being performed on the right!!

The high tide for the Austrian infantry as they have eliminated a Prussian unit or two.

The big push!! Close Combat is the deciding factor in this game. It represents not so much the hand to hand fighting as that last 10 yards of close in volley's and the will to fight giving way.

The Austrian left flank cavalry has in fact been flanked...... The humanity!

A close inspection of this image will show my hussars are facing in the wrong direction.

The cuirassiers will not let those hussars pass!

Frederick watches on with grim satisfaction.

Frederick's view.

The Austrian line showing some holes.

We halted the game at this point but plan to pick it up after Christmas. It was four hours agreat fun and discussions the reason I am in the hobby..

and as always hanks for having a look.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Minuteman on 18 Dec 2021, 00:03

Impressive stuff, and something more like a game in the 'grand manner' than 'a quick test game' I'd say!

I very much like the large cardboard wall masking initial deployments, and the way the rules seem to demonstrate the (real) problems caused when unweildy linear formations were caught in flanking attacks.

Great photos, thanks. Happy Holidays to you too!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Dec 2021, 00:11

Paul, we need to talk.

After 3-4 years honing my home-grown rules till they're perfect, I want to reject them!

They're too "perfect" & the original motivation of an efficient, fast-play set has vanished, They work but take too long.

I've been looking at SHAKO (I have a rule book) & TRICORNE ( a Welsh derivation of SHAKO).

So what have you done to SHAKO to make it more SYW-friendly? What are your opinions?
Any resources you can share?

I have a game-time for early January & would love to trial SHAKO/TRICORNE.

Do we do this in the forum or PMs

donald

Great looking game BTW
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Chariobaude on 18 Dec 2021, 10:12

thank you for sharing this huge battle, wich seems to me more than a simple test !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by PaulRPetri on 18 Dec 2021, 14:47

Minuteman and Chariobaude thanks for the kind comments.

Donald if you know how to work the PM send me one I have just scanned my QRS and I can send that to you if you like. This is the copy of Shako I am working off of.

Posted by PaulRPetri on 18 Dec 2021, 14:53

I should mention they are still a work in progress as I actually decided after the game to switch to an 8 sided dice instead of the 6 sider. I wanted the close combats to be more deciding, ie eliminate the unit. There are gamer versions of Shako that use a 10 sided die, which I used when I did the large scale rules in the original Shako pictured above.
The deployment rules and the Roll up maneuver I am still working on but I can send what I ahve along in a PDF if you want.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Dec 2021, 16:46

Very nice indeed and the cardboard trick is inspirational.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Michael Robert on 18 Dec 2021, 21:15

Hello Peter and Paul
Fantastic line-up for a game.
Sometimes I think it would be nice to try a game myself. Never really did. And no opponents in my area
The SYW rows like the Napoleonics are the start I guess
Good show
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by MABO on 19 Dec 2021, 09:11

Clash of beautiful armies. I really like the pictures.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 19 Dec 2021, 15:13

Thanks MABO! I started this collection around 1986. My first wargaming passion.

Posted by Rich W on 22 Dec 2021, 00:56

Looks like a really good game. Nice work again Paul and thanks for sharing.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 22 Dec 2021, 15:20

Thank you Rich. A bigger test is coming on January 7 as I hope six of us will gather for a game. I hope to post pictures from that game.

Return to Game Reports