Work in Progress

Converting a building into a transparent "dollhouse"

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 11 Oct 2021, 20:34

Actually the drilling machine in pic 4 up is a Dremel 3000. Not sure actually what type of drill that is that I used(was in the package). It looks a bit odd, maybe something designed for drilling tiles? But it worked on plastic without causing it to melt.
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 14 Oct 2021, 15:47

I was planning to use some wall paper och the interior walls, that I had bought from unicorn models:
But then I realized you don't put wallpaper och stone walls. So I will have to sculpt interior stone walls with epoxy. Why can't anything be easy?
I will have to glue on the exterior windows boards before I start so that the attachment holes don't get filled up with epoxy. I would actually have prefered painting them before gluing them, but that's not practical now.
Meanwhile I glue floor back together.
Let the wall sculpting begin. I'm not gonna push it, just one side and one floor at the time:
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Peter on 14 Oct 2021, 18:14

Don't they use plaster on the inside walls in Italy and Spain? In my eyes you can use that wallpaper. And it's good wallpaper, it's from Belgium! ;-)

Good restauration of that floor. :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 14 Oct 2021, 19:16

Well, maybe I'll reconsider using it on the upper floor? I'm not sure how normal plastic glue vill interact with the wallpaper? Should perhaps something else be use like white glue?
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Peter on 14 Oct 2021, 19:44

White glue should do the trick. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by sberry on 16 Oct 2021, 09:11

Peter wrote:Don't they use plaster on the inside walls in Italy and Spain? In my eyes you can use that wallpaper. And it's good wallpaper, it's from Belgium! ;-)

But does it taste as good as Belgian chocolate?
sberry  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 17 Oct 2021, 15:16

Third bottom floor side sculpted:
Assembling a wooden laser cut chimney trying to decide where to put it, thought it has to suit were the roof chimney will be.
Sanding down Evergreen to make it right size for window stones:
Sanding down some matches:
Gluing the internal window stones on, will hopefully look better then sculpting them in epoxy.
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Peter on 17 Oct 2021, 17:28

Nice looking inside walls! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 25 Oct 2021, 15:42

I added the two triangles that support the roof, but realized they were inside out:
I was under the impression that it would look more credible this was with the A frames visible, but it seems like they are mean to come in contact with the outer walls to make them more stable.
The Roof:
The gap between the A-frames and the wall more visible:
The A-frames are to attachtec to remove now, so I start removing the interior plastic of the A-frames in order to make them more realistic.
First i drill hole with a Dremel then I sand and cut with the sculpel, takes lots of time and effort:
I cut a bit to much from the A-frames and have to do some repairing with Miliput. I use a long match to add a central beam. at the moment I am considering making a hole in roof from artillery shells, adding some floor planks for the attic floor, and maybe having some German observers at the attic:
Imagegratis bild
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Peter on 28 Oct 2021, 21:28

You're doing a lot of work indeed, so you make me very curious for the end result! ;-)

Model on, please! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 31 Oct 2021, 21:05

I have added the ridge of the roof. It's not as centered as it should be, but it's hard to do anything about it. I was planning to make a hole through the roof tiles so that you can look inside the attic, but I it will be to much work to make it look good and credible with loose tiles and visual roof battens. I'm not even really sure what kind of tiles those are supposed to be, C-shaped curved ridge tiles? But the transparency problem can be solved by making a shell hole on the upper short side of the wall instead. Though I find it hard to believe an antitank gun or and infantry gun would be able to punch a hole through the wall of the attic while not at the same time knocking off some of the roof tiles, well sometimes you will have to compromise, I'm still a beginner at this.
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Susofrick on 01 Nov 2021, 10:15

Follow this with very great interest! Have the house, but haven't done anything with it (have built the other one though).
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 01 Nov 2021, 21:25

Susofrick wrote:Follow this with very great interest! Have the house, but haven't done anything with it (have built the other one though).

Which other model is that? This one? https://www.italeri.com/en/product/885
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Susofrick on 02 Nov 2021, 09:17

Yup, that one! I went nuts with all those windows and stuff!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 02 Nov 2021, 21:14

Susofrick wrote:Yup, that one! I went nuts with all those windows and stuff!

Yes, looks a bit hard and I guess painting the walls behind the pillars is a bit problematic? We'll see if that building will end up in my inventory in the future.

Meanwhile I have been investigating methods to create curved ridge tiles. The current method I'm trying to roll Miliput mixed with Green stuff around a brass rod, then cut it on both sides along the rod and then cut it again to separate the tiles.
A bit hard to get the camera to focus:
Trying to find some use for the surplus epoxy that couldn't fit around the rod. I guess I will have to buy more rods if I'm gonna use this method.
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Peter on 02 Nov 2021, 21:30

Why didn't you use the real stuff.......clay?

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 02 Nov 2021, 21:59

Peter wrote:Why didn't you use the real stuff.......clay?

My previous experience with Das has been as ground material and as a filler, and I'm not sure how the shrinkage would work, but maybe it could be worth a try? Have you used it for making building material?
Hobbyinovator  

Posted by Peter on 02 Nov 2021, 22:28

I used it to rebuilt a ear of a clay rabbit. As far as I know it didn't shrink. I would give it a go.

Have you seen what Huib did with clay for his Russian tank?

Page 9 of this topic he made a cobble road with it: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24362&start=160
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 13 Nov 2021, 19:30

Everything looks very promissing. I returned after a longer break and like Peter, I am curious to see the final building. :thumbup:
MABO  Europe

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 03 Apr 2022, 10:23

Peeling of some rof tiles:
Hard to prevent the tiles from getting deformed.
Another attempt, I think this contained a higher admixture of green stuff:
Hobbyinovator  

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress