Miniatures Talk

Dark Alliance LOTR, the fellowship?

Posted by blacksmith on 23 Aug 2021, 00:23

Red Box has released so far all races from MIddle Earth except Gondor but maybe it is on the way.
What I need and wonder if they will ever release is a box with the Fellowship of the Ring, and maybe some more characters in it like Beorn or Elrond.

Caesar fantasy characters has some figures that can be proxied but alas I don't have that box and I need 20mm figures of Gandalf and the Hobbits for a project I have in mind.

Do you think or know something about a possible release of a box like that, or in its defect, another brand or even STL files for 3D printing to represent Gandalf the Grey and the Hobbits?

Any heads up would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by denitz on 23 Aug 2021, 10:55

War of the Ring game.

Contains 1/72 unpainted figures
denitz  Russia

Posted by blacksmith on 23 Aug 2021, 11:45

That's a very good idea but are they really 1/72 scale¿ Can anyone post a pic with them next to some Dark Alliance figures?

*Edited: I checked FFG and Ebay and the game is OOP and prices are 100+ so it is not such a good idea after all. Besides, I'm also interested in Gandalf and the Hobbits.

Can anyone help out with this?

TIA
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by PaulRPetri on 23 Aug 2021, 14:40

I am in the same boat you are Blacksmith. Would love a set of the Fellowship but none seem to be had. The War of the ring game is not an option for me the cost is much to high. I hold out hope that one of our enterprising forum members in possession of a resin 3d printer may create a "Not the Fellowship of the Ring" set of figures for private sale. One can dream.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Neilad on 23 Aug 2021, 14:46

This is a site with comparison against some Caesar figures.
https://cheapfantasyminis.blogspot.com/ ... s-sam.html
The foot figures are 1/72, the horse figures aren't really as like many game pieces are shrunk down a bit. Apart from the Character figures the bulk of the miniatures are a static pose. For me I've been looking at Hobbits and I was going to go with Essex 15mm figures as these can be a little bulky looking and about the right height, unless of course someone else created some specifically for 1/72. There is still hope Dark Alliance may do them but time to market is always an issue.
Neilad  

Posted by blacksmith on 23 Aug 2021, 16:46

Great link Neilad, thank you! I wish I could have those Gandalf, Saruman and Hobbits from the war of the ring
blacksmith  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by blacksmith on 23 Aug 2021, 16:48

There is a shop near home that prints 3D. I'm trying to find Gandalf and Hobbits STL files but I failed.
It would be great if anybody in this forum could help us telling where to find files for 3D prints of those characters.
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by Minuteman on 23 Aug 2021, 20:39

Hobbits in 1/72 - or lack of - is the one missing key part (excusing the pun) in being able to re-create The Hobbit/ the Wars of the Ring and the adventures of Bilbo and Frodo et al in this scale. Would be very good if Alliance were to make a set of hobbits; this might involve a sprue or two of armed folk, and a sprue of hobbits 'on quest', to make up a suitable set of figures.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by CraigD6 on 24 Aug 2021, 07:40

Hobbits are definitely the missing link in fantasy 20mm/1/72 at present. Essex 15mm's could be a good substitute, especially with a little converting. I have recently bought some of the PSC Gothic Army foot figures, intending them to become my Dwarf army. I wonder if some of these could also become Hobbits? They might be 'close enough for government work' until someone releases a proper set.
CraigD6  United Kingdom

Posted by blacksmith on 24 Aug 2021, 19:22

I tried to write to the red box to ask about the possibility of a release of a fellowship but the email provided in contact us is not working :(
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by dykio on 24 Aug 2021, 19:35

Concerning Hobbits.....

I think there is no need to worry ....yet.
I just looked at there website and there alliance sets were released :
New set Alliance /13-07-2020/ and the latest batch : New set Alliance /29-03-2021/

So there is 6 months between them which could mean that the next ones are coming out in.... september..

Yeah i know its just wishfull thinking but i hope the hobbits, men of gondor, knights of doll amroth and who knows even southern cavalry will be released in the near future. (although im not in a hurry because it will probebly take another year to finish my shire project :-D :-D :-D )

laterrrrrrrr
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Xantippos on 29 Aug 2021, 14:00

I bought the fantasy set of Caesar, but I didn't get Gandalf. A bit annoying, as you are given two of various heroes, but none of others.

I do have Hobbits in 1/72, even without looking for them. They came with the Lord of the Rings boardgame, I received as a christmas present many years ago;

They look a bit big, but are perfect as medieval young peasants :P .

Apparently, they have now upgraded the game, with more modern looking hobbits;

Maybe some 10-15mm metal figurines would do the job? I have a few vintage ones, which I use as kids for 1/72, sort of children crusades, as they are short and with childish proportions :-) .
Xantippos  

Posted by blacksmith on 31 Aug 2021, 11:37

Yes, somebody else in this forum did that already and it looked great. I'd probably do the same when the time comes. cheers,
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by carlosfaro on 11 Sep 2021, 08:52

I came late here..
as someone pinted, your BEST choices for Gandalf , hobbits and whatever innant scale, is 3d printing.

Detail is mostly crispy and you will find almost no limits in models, ideas, sizes...

Let me show some of my printings..
Let me invite yo to have a look at my blog..
http://sceavusall172.blogspot.com/?m=0
In adiotion to that, the 15mm metal figures are also a good source for 1:72 hobbits and dwarves... I also show some of that somehwere in my blog

They are files from several designers..Just pm if you want further details or references.
carlosfaro  

Posted by blacksmith on 11 Sep 2021, 10:33

I've become follower of your blog and I'm also very interested in those models. PM sent and thank you!
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by Xantippos on 12 Sep 2021, 14:58

Impressive result, carlosfaro! so, just out of curiosity, this is a resin print right? the quality is superb, looks like a high quality top end figurine to me! was it very expensive the printer?
Xantippos  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by carlosfaro on 13 Sep 2021, 17:57

Hola Xantippos, Congratulations for Your own models and releases, that is quite courage in such small sector as 1/72 figires

Yes, figures are resin printed. The machines belongs to a friend of mine. It is already one step more-than average Quality model...It costes around 400eur, but the market has cheaper models from 180 to 300 which also deliver a good Quality (I Will go for One)
Problsbly then I Will miss the Quality level of my friends'
carlosfaro  

Return to Miniatures Talk