Tutorials

scratch - building with BB

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jun 2021, 21:54

Thank you Peter, :thumbup: that book was well worth taking time out from other things in order to find it and many others besides.

On Imgur,i was asked if they were ant sized books? :coffee: i replied no,
but my Bumble Bees in our Bird Box could certainly flip over a few pages with their buzzing wings.

The Book written by BB
Continued.

Many years passed by and the boy now a man in rather odd army fatigues returned home from a tour of duty in Oman in the Persian Gulf,it was 1973 and that year was one that saw him open up the secret place in the bedroom of his youth. Everything that was kind of special to him back in the days that i wrote about before, was there. The broken cap firing gun, the plastic cowboy and Indian toy figures the bag of well played with glass marbles and of course that thick heavy book. Dusting it off he thought out aloud, ''Poor Robinson.''
:eh: So what happened next? :mrgreen: Well i like this part. :eh: What part? :mrgreen: The moral of this story book tale. :eh: You mean its ending? :sst: it was a very strange thing to do. :eh: What was?
:coffee: i'll leave it here until the next time. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 29 Jun 2021, 09:26

There is so much to love here on this topic! No, I don't like it, I totally LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this! And I sincerely hope your veteran finger is okay and no more injuries. As a bookmaniac (sorted books as I learned to walk (not too popular :-D ) and danced to odd Swedish jazz at the same time) I follow this topic as good as I can even if I not always put a comment. I am very fond of my metal-books from Thomarillion, but yours are a bit more natural looking.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jun 2021, 04:55

Thank you Gunnar, :thumbup: for your comment. i really appreciate it.
As for my veteran finger of so many cuts in my life time.it is healing fast! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Jul 2021, 18:46

Production of the Dutch books started today with printing, cutting out and sticking!
Strips of paper card were also cut to size.

Art Nouveau dating around 1910 or 1911. i have found some of them very interesting which adds to my hobby pleasure of scratch building.

There are hundreds to keep me busy for quite a while. Many will be ready to cut off the paper card strip tomorrow, or the day after.

Take care BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jul 2021, 16:10

Whittling down a square is a relaxing thing to do, and it saves on wastage!
:mrgreen: No way is that ever taken for granted. Mostly i cut strips, but i like a change now and then, that lead to the same results. :eh: Triangle madness!

In the meantime

Today i cut free dropping into loose order, thicker sized books!
Many more are upon the make do list. Although many others have been plonked into my empty now full yogurt pots!

:coffee: As the masses in England bite at the bit, as relative restored freedoms come into grubby view again. Take care out there, and stay safe. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Michael Robert on 07 Jul 2021, 19:31

Hello Paul,
don't know what you will do with all these books. Start your personal ideal library? In any case, I support your efforts. Will you make new cupboards to hoard them?
Great work and great fun
In this period when we open borders again - very slowly and cautiously - I wish you happy modelling
... and the bug doesn't travel via cables
Many Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jul 2021, 05:13

Lots of time in self isolation means that i must use it wisely, shrewdly and not just sit idly by doing nothing. The truth be known i'm not fit enough to do stuff around our home so my writing and toy making are my constant flow of hobby activity about this place. My Mrs B, understands me well.

Usually Michael, i make rubber moulds at this time of the year, and so it happens that i'm working upon an Egyptian theme set solid as in ancient concrete, within one of my stories which i plan to publish next year on my blog. As for my library there is no limit to book making as far as i'm concerned, and that too is to be set in another story line of topsy turvy sci fi fun in way of illustrating my library with my cameras then set the photographs and film within that book i wrote several years ago. It is normal for my unconventional self to make my own props for such film and photo shoots, because after all i have always been BB the scratch builder. So lots of cupboards with shelving is needed for over 6,000 books.
Presently i'm printing then making 100 + toy town type books every day.

mock-up jig above.

Thank you Michael for your kind comment and question.
Thanks :thumbup: for all who have dropped by for a look-see of what is going on. :coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jul 2021, 15:52

:coffee: So what is making 60 shelving units to a Beano Boy like me? :mrgreen: Nothing at all! :coffee: And now for the children's section; a few classic books. :sst: good,but not scary books bb? :mrgreen: i guess he will try to weed those out amongst the wood pile? :eh: My old Aunty of sixty six and 6 months made repetitive caustic mention that she saw ''Something nasty in the wood shed.'' That being when she was a child of three years, and three months, and three days old. :sst: so from one good to read book,the three's now becomes free of 6,6,6.
:cowboy: That sure is one heck of a riddle for heads to reason upon Pards.

:coffee: Getting back to the book high above,the pages being right to size will always fit snug into the open book no matter what printed sized book one decides to read. May you all have a fine good safe day. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 10 Jul 2021, 08:59

Will you also make a CD and DVD section in your library Paul! And if it isn't to much trouble, a lot of old movies on DVD! :-D

It is really a fun project and it great that you don't forget the children. ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Jul 2021, 04:52

Thank you Peter, there is a game my Great Grandchildren could play with stacking their own book shelf. That is of course entirely up to them. The object of playing the game is trying to remove the little books from the shelves that open up revealing a prize!
It seems straight forwards until one realises that there are thousands of books, and one has to pay a plastic penny for each try, that goes into the kitty, and the prize of cash goes to the one that has the most open book covers.
Of course there are loose books that must replace those that have been removed that open up. The books that do not open are pushed back into their place.
:eh: share madness
OK, a frustration clause is that if the books spring out while one is being taken out ,then they lose all of their books which are shared out to the other players, and then another game can begin. As to the prizes that are revealed inside the book covers that open, i am undecided upon at this present time. One thing for certain it would not be real cash. Bags of plastic money can be bought for counting out to the children. * A Time of Play must be Decided Upon* Each player could start with 200 Pennies each, and after the game ends, the winner is the one that has the most open cover books. If two or more players have the same total of prized books, they each get an equal share of the plastic stash!

The object of the game is one of having fun upon dark wet rainy days, and not one of winning real cash. Although there could be a real, but tiny prize revealed upon opening the book covers which the player can keep, but they could lose their books and therefore the game.

:coffee: It really is a dream, my dream that is that is unlikely to take place.
After all children eagerly finger plastic devices now instead of old fashioned play.
i fear it to be a great loss.

In answer to your question Peter, :thumbup:
Which i thank you for, no cd's but tiny books is my aim upon my journey. However i hope to make a musical film and present it on my You Tube Chanel in my unusual way , linked to my Blog and Pinterest.
Another two or three days should see the books all finished and polished off. Then the design of the Library can get truly underway with hopefully a few surprises along the way. :mrgreen: Sounds like a plan.

:coffee: So until, :mrgreen: the next one, :sst: we hope :cowboy: to see you visit again.
:read: It could be fun? :eh: Or not? :coffee: Well the aim is pleasing Mrs B, really because she helps a lot by picking up the paper snips from off the stone floor,but longs for the days when there will be none.

:coffee: Stay safe guys. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Jul 2021, 00:57

From a library design circa 1890, a small matter of making up three frames, steps and top landing.

fiddley dee dee to make, but a doable thing for high rising stacked into place library books.

Far below the last batch of tiny books have been cut off.

Here the thicker sized books await the chopping off block which will then finish the entire 6,000 plus.

It has been a long haul guys getting up to scratch that which was put into operation a few months ago. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Jul 2021, 17:37

Saw Dust and Sticky Spittoons,
A Puzzlement for Books or Bottles ?

Sizing up cupboards with Sir Percy will be in this case most helpful, and for all you cowboy buffs my picture print of plans could be in any saloon bar that has whiskey enough to cauterize any desert dried throat to instant rough roar! :cowboy: Yippy! That sounds like my kind of place. :mrgreen: Better put that puff a billy out before a swigging on a bottle that stuff! :sst: and don't spill any on your best duds?
:coffee: That's an ironic oxymoron where Cowboy is concerned.
:eh: It is? :read: Yes chimed in the highly educated book worm.

:coffee: Anyway guys that's just a thought to raise interest in blue prints like this.
:eh: BB,has way to much imagination.

:coffee: And so it is after 16 weeks,that the real construction can now begin.
Take care,it's a hostile will do,shall do world out there. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jul 2021, 01:29

:coffee: A new stage, :sst: begins. :cowboy: With more scratch building, Pards.
:mrgreen: And hopefully more fun is to come in the BEANO style of play.
:eh: Simple stuff please BB,for me little head is a throbbing due to over thinking. :read: Entry in this journal, Another Update Begins.

Showing one of the backing boards to the new shelving units. It was drawn to my own blue print scale,then cut out,scribed with pencil and painted. Here a corner was left unpainted showing this simple method. Also to be seen are the guidance lines, where both shelving and cupboard top is to be fixed into place.

:coffee: As well as my Forum Members,i am very pleased too, with all you visitors popping in for a look see.

Things are getting better all the time,
but do be careful out there and help others if you can. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jul 2021, 01:43

Often is the case history captured in an instant of time, can inspire others long after the snapping event of war has passed along .

Here the boy reads to himself after an air raid. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 26 Jul 2021, 07:45

Impressive picture, Paul. And your library as well, of course. I think I would not be patient enough.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Jul 2021, 03:06

Thank you for commenting Jan,and thank you guys for clicking the Like Button!
i'm very patient indeed because it took way over 72 years to get me here a typing for this long drawn out swinging in the wind topic of cutting fine paper.

Continued
The Book written by Paul Howes
This is the old library book above from 1955,which was taken out on loan.

The November of 1994 arrived with rain that poured fit enough for anyone to imagine a fishing boat passing by their bedroom window. For it rained for 10 days solid and upon a Friday three days into such a storm, heaps of mail arrived and so did an elderly gentleman, a Norwich City Bailiff , about the long overdo book. 39 Years to put a finer spotlight to it. :drool: :shock: O Dear me! :eh: Yes the little boy was BB. :mrgreen: It looks like jailtime to me. :sst: all is not as it seems. Said the little button. :cowboy: A bit late really, but i could've busted him out if'an i knew of such a muddled up thing.

It had been another hot July blistering day and it saw BB,going into the new Norwich City Library set into fixed space near the city hall and the thriving market place. I put the question to the young lady who was quite perplexed upon the matter, but finally she decided the answer was way above her pay grade. Is this a windup? Not at all,i just need to know if this brand new library would accept the book back? i related the story again to her supervisor, who said, I'll see to it ', as she sailed away past the bent over guys with dark ringed eye-balls studying upon the white line of PC's. Upon her return she said, 'Sorry the matter will be raised at the next committee meeting.'

:mrgreen: i wonder if anyone could guess what happened next concerning that book?

:coffee: OK! Until the next one,stay safe stay well and help others if you can. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 29 Jul 2021, 10:57

I guess there is still something higher as the committee, so the story goes on! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Jul 2021, 09:30

The Book written by Paul Howes

Story Continues

Well as to this story it certainly did drag on Peter,
due to such a thing as higher authority and all those attending to it waddle about like old ducks quacking the gobbledygook juggling mystification lingo of state . However the oddest thing was about to stand such rhetoric upon its head. It was the ability of applying Reason. As the Bailiff explained it, the legality of the case being connected entirely to the age of a small boy, and not that of a full grown man. Why the book was never returned was due entirely to the blaze that consumed the old Victorian Library. So it had been decided upon after such mutterings as already described, 'That the said book in question had not been stolen by the boy.' :eh: So what happened?
:mrgreen: It does seem an odd affair of circumstance BB. :sst: and a fact that the 66 year-old book taken out of that library by the small child ,still existed then in 1994. :read: As the Bailiff stood in the lobby at the bottom of the stairs he added that the fines of 39 years since that time was not to be levied at the former 6 year old boy,

With the downpour of rain heavy to the ear, the Bailiff asked a question.

:coffee: i will leave the story here.
:eh: What! Cried out Wingnut :mrgreen: The next Part better be good. :cowboy: Sure it will bound to be Pards. Chipped in the Cowboy who always sleeps in his boots. :winky: A fact we are all entirely grateful for.

The resize of the entire sheets of 12 X 6 was one of 400 and another at 450 on my PC.
Having trouble getting the yellow to print caused a little concern. However in the end another two sheets were printed out for the Cause. In doing so my Mrs B, can now use the Printer instead of little old aged P me.' :thumbup: Here,here!

:coffee: Many thanks for your support. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Aug 2021, 02:08

:coffee: my true story based upon a once rather shy and timid little boy.

The Book
Written by BB
Continues on with a subtle twist in its end.

The Norwich City Bailiff ,put the question directly to me. 'Would you like to keep the book ,but replace it by the cost of another?'
Sure why not, i replied . And so it was he took some cash that i agreed to pay, although it indirectly went into the Library Book Fund. The story was one of the strangest things he had ever read of, and now off the cuff had found very funny as he heard of it all from me.
The rain was still bucketing down as he ran up the pathway and through our garden gateway. He turned and laughed and after entry into his time saving machine standing upon its four rubber heeled wheels he was soon gone. So it was for the very first time in over forty five years that i legally owned that very large book. A book i have reviewed many times over within the world of adult education to finely see the eye of the Free Masons work deeply within it.

The Book of poor Robinson the ruthless black slaver, marooned for over 28 years, on an island within the mouth of the Amazon River, printed in 1898 is worth quite a few bob, but that being my first look see and learn book of reading is indeed the real value for me. My Mom read it daily to me way back in the dark days of our post war poverty.

:coffee: Please take care out there in the world, and help others if you can? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Aug 2021, 02:24

Image 'he he'

Dear Alice , has been busy helping out with many a page for children to look at and paste out into their very own 1/12th book during the summer holiday.

Above a few extra books. i reach a point when i believe that i have finished printing out tiny books, when Pinterest notifies me of more fresh possibilities.

From 1954 and 1955 Buffalo Bill Annuals which were hard to focus my camera lens upon they being very small.

These few books from some very odd snipping moments will stack up rather well.

:coffee: How i scratch build new book shelves will be shown next. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials