Gallery

My Blenheim Project - War of Spanish Succession

Posted by sansovino on 07 Apr 2021, 16:08

Here the first appetizers to my battle of Blenheim Project. I will present from now all further units in this new post. And it will been certainly a very long way to the battle ....

It´s the french regiment de Beauce with eventually a little bit too dark uniforms. After some research, it seems very probably that most french regiments wore light grey or greyish white uniforms till the end of this war.
I have used and converted here the new wonderful Strelets miniatures. Really wonderful sculpted figures but with some hard challenges: theirs plastic doesn´t like it to be cleaned easy from certain flashs. And the 3 french infantry sets are very mixed with different long rifles and vertical or horizontal coat-pockets which needs much selection and conversions. So I substitute some too short rifles with new ones and created mostly identical pockets.
And a last word: Most of my high rank officers wear private coats which seems to be regular in the french army till the end of the war and in strong contrast to theirs english adversaries which wore already mostly standard uniforms.
And like others had already here mentioned, it´s quite difficult to get serious informations on the uniforms of this war. So I am very interested to receive still more informations from the forum-members. We all learn step by step, trial and error .....

The wounded soldiers are conversions and I have reproduced greater flags and more drummers - only 1 drummer figure per box aren´t enough for this time....

There will been soon more solders, firing and dead in the french 4-5 ranks formation.....
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Chariobaude on 07 Apr 2021, 18:27

Wonderfull job ! !
Yes, the coats could be maybe a bit lighter, but i guess after a couple of month campaigning... ;-)
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Fire at Will on 07 Apr 2021, 20:30

Great work, I'm just starting on my French Saintonge and Royal Italien are now being based.

I'm mainly relying on the old Mark Allen articles from Wargames illustrated and the new WSS website by Kronoskaf which unfortunately is work in progress
http://kronoskaf.com/wss/index.php?title=Main_Page

Officer were supposed to wear the regimental uniform, but the number of repeated regulations insisting it should be worn indicates that observance was poor
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by sansovino on 08 Apr 2021, 13:20

the regiment....

2 squares of a company in 4-rank formation

The english were far more efficient with their platoon-formation and firing intervals....
sansovino  Germany

Posted by sansovino on 08 Apr 2021, 15:32

sansovino  Germany

Posted by Peter on 08 Apr 2021, 21:43

Real nice painted army! I like them! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 09 Apr 2021, 05:04

This is all looking very good and interesting Sansovino! Is the plan to create a diorama based on the famous battle in 1704?

The conversions you have created are very good, and I like the multiple casualty conversions as well. The views of the deep French firing line with the obvious effect of that unit having already received at least one enemy volley is effective and looks realistic for a French unit of the period.

I agree that the coats could probably be made a bit lighter, although quite how grey or white French uniforms were is a matter for debate. The colour I am using at present is a Vallejo Model Colour Silver Grey (I'm afraid I don't have the colour number right now) and this, with some slightly lighter highlights of this colour with a little white added, seems to work well for French grey/white coats. It is effectively a very light grey.

I am hoping to post some pictures of my French WoSS soon...it is a Work in Progress and that work is only proceeding slowly.

I will follow your Blenheim project with interest!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Apr 2021, 20:20

sansovino wrote:...I have used and converted here the new wonderful Strelets miniatures. Really wonderful sculpted figures but with some hard challenges: theirs plastic doesn´t like it to be cleaned easy from certain flashs...

I agree with both ideas, sansovino. Strelets is making amazing War of Spanish Succession figures, but their plastic is very hard to work with. Unfortunely, this is the reason of why I have had to discard them for any future project. A real pity. :(

By the way, you have made fantastic conversions and a great paintwork on them. Congratulations. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by wilberforcefrog on 09 Apr 2021, 21:54

There are some truly neat conversions you have done here!
wilberforcefrog  United States of America

Posted by Rich W on 13 Apr 2021, 22:25

Lovely work! Great to see those firing lines getting formed and nice ideas with the casualties. Please keep posting updates as I will be keeping a close eye out for them!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Return to Gallery