Miniatures News

Zvezda 2020 - 2023

Posted by Bluefalchion on 06 Aug 2020, 00:10

Oh that is funny. I actually have those sets. I guess I should probably look in my boxes of figures before asking basic questions.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by marc zijp on 06 Aug 2020, 03:31

(please don’t be to harsh at yourself Bluefalchion, a forum is there to ask questions without getting burned, and to help others as well! :-D )

I actually like this set, although I had no expectations, so I can buy a few for Berlin’45 and winter settings as well. Good in the action poses and two have the Soviet rain cape. As far as I know it’s called the plash-palatka (I had to look that up). You can even buy a real one on the internet: €29,-.

Two more sets to go: German Volkssturm and Soviet assault troops (still have hope for a more extensive set with about six poses).

Is the German 120mm mortar out yet?
marc zijp  

Posted by marc zijp on 06 Aug 2020, 03:42

About the rain cape or perhaps plash-palatka: some other sets have a cape in it too. But psr got issues with them and perhaps they’re right.
I always wonder if wearing such a cape is practical in battle.
I once wore a cape all night at a medieval party and it was terrible (and the only thing I actually had to do was raising glasses of beer).
marc zijp  

Posted by MicroWorld on 06 Aug 2020, 07:53

Paul wrote:Pretty definate about that eh? A simple no would have sufficed

Sorry! Promise: I will not to distress you with "excess" information in future.
MicroWorld  Russia

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 06 Aug 2020, 08:48

marc zijp wrote:About the rain cape or perhaps plash-palatka:

The fourth soviet figure from the excellent Italeri 6131 - WWII Anti Tank Teams (last in row, dramatically holding his DP light machine gun) is imho wearing an ordinary greatcoat.
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by marc zijp on 06 Aug 2020, 10:12

Thanks for that suggestion.
And indeed a fine set. Psr is sometimes bashing* sets when the title is somehow wrong, while the content might still be pretty good. Like this one, for I find good use for these rather original poses.

*Don’t know another more appropriate word for that in english. And I don’t want to bash PSR at all!
marc zijp  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by marc zijp on 20 Aug 2020, 16:18

Got the German mortar set (several actually).
I think it’s a pretty good set!
Downside (about the only one) is the strange full equipment on the figures.
The bipod is just slightly bigger than the Pegasus mortar. But groundplate and the tube itself are equal. Figures are about equal too (some a bit smaller, some a bit taller), compared to the Pegasus ones.
The ammunition box is not seperate but part of the big ground plate (which is another minus), but the mortar ground plate is separate.
So I’m gonna mix them with the Pegasus figures (with the ones who have equipment too). :-D :yeah:
marc zijp  

Posted by Bluefalchion on 20 Aug 2020, 18:17

I don't suppose it would work to trim off the equipment with a hobby knife?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Wiking on 20 Aug 2020, 18:51

marc zijp wrote:
I always wonder if wearing such a cape is practical in battle.

The original pic show, YES !

:mrgreen:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by marc zijp on 20 Aug 2020, 21:33

At Bluefalchion: the ‘packs’ are separate. So when your skills are okay I see possibillities.
marc zijp  

Posted by marc zijp on 20 Aug 2020, 21:36

At Wiking: I’m glad I got that set! Had a short running and hard to get now.

My Berlin dio is going to be a big....(I wanted to say party) one hell of eyecandy!
marc zijp  

Posted by marc zijp on 04 Sep 2020, 12:22

Been a rather quiet week and no news from Zvezda either except for this boxart I found.Image
marc zijp  

Posted by kinjack on 04 Sep 2020, 15:51

Slightly unrelated to *new* Zvezda sets, but does anyone know why Zvezda isn't more successful or prolific with their sets?

The quality of their sculpting and moulding is so far ahead of their competitors, with Hat and Strelets only really just starting to get close.

You'd think they would take advantage of this and release more sets, or at least keep their old sets in stock.

Does anyone know why they don't make more?
kinjack  United Kingdom

Posted by XbriX on 04 Sep 2020, 16:05

I'd say it mostly depends on where are you/ your retailer from. Here in Poland you can get zvezda stuff in every major toy store. Hat and Strelets sets are extremely rare to find.
XbriX  Poland

Posted by Brok_Santatusca on 04 Sep 2020, 19:11

kinjack wrote:Slightly unrelated to *new* Zvezda sets, but does anyone know why Zvezda isn't more successful or prolific with their sets?

The quality of their sculpting and moulding is so far ahead of their competitors, with Hat and Strelets only really just starting to get close.

You'd think they would take advantage of this and release more sets, or at least keep their old sets in stock.

Does anyone know why they don't make more?

I agree, but dont know why either. Maybe they just don't smell their chance :mrgreen:
Brok_Santatusca  Europe

Posted by marc zijp on 05 Sep 2020, 19:54

German panzergrenadiers in anorak.
marc zijp  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by zulu`s 1000`s of em on 07 Sep 2020, 21:19

Only from a personal view point, why are Zvezda not more successful, well first off ,I am a big admirer it is all pleasing to the eye, years ago I bought and painted the Roman/Greek sets, what a pleasure to paint. More recently the WW2 British mini sets , once again superb, I also have some of the Germans too. But those are the only sets that interest me. If I was still doing Napoleonic's I would have bought them for sure, but I am not. The subjects they do seem to be aimed at the domestic market rather than a broader audience , and nothing wrong with that other than you may be making decisions that are emotional rather than commercial.
zulu`s 1000`s of em  United Kingdom

Posted by marc zijp on 08 Sep 2020, 05:04

When airfix and the lot started a long time ago they did (more or less) mainly themes that were popular in or related to the uk; + Hollywood movies, VS and a bit Western Europe (but only if the uk was involved).
You can say those were emotional decisions too.
Airfix became immensely popular as we all can tell (of you’re old enough).
Other companies copied those themes. But around 2000 Hat broke with that tradition and had an open eye for other themes and participants.
Later companies like Strelets, Zvezda, Redbox and Orion appeared and they did a lot of sets and periods with a big focus on the history of Eastern Europe, Russia/the Soviet Union and Asia (but important note: not strictly!).

Well, personally I can only applaud the latter development. For, although I’m Dutch, most of my projects and dio’s are nót (directly) related to American or British history.
And my utmost projects are battles situated in Russia (i.e.: Kursk/Borodino).

In short: I think it’s healthy that not everything in this hobby is focused on mainly British (or American/Hollywood) history anymore. And as long as they’re selling well they should rightly continue to do so. For they make me a happy customer too!
marc zijp  

Posted by zulu`s 1000`s of em on 08 Sep 2020, 09:18

My comments are in no way a criticism of Zvezda, all our manufacturers have done the same, after all what is the fun in owning a toy soldier company if you can`t make the ones that interest you and you have always wanted, Strelets bonus figures being a great example,or Hat`s Napoleonic French. Sometimes the emotional stuff overlaps with commercial ,so it works and sometimes it does not.
zulu`s 1000`s of em  United Kingdom

Posted by kinjack on 09 Sep 2020, 04:52

Couldn't agree more Marc! Every time I go on Plastic Soldier Review I thank the Polypropylene Gods that I'm painting figures now and not 20 years ago when your choices were Airfix or Airfix.

I think my question really was why do so many of Zvezda's beautiful sets fall out of production, and why have they seemingly given up on big box sets for the Art of Tactic (which I've never heard of anyone playing?).

Just seems like a strange direction to take for a company that could have been the industry leader if they'd so chosen.
kinjack  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures News