Tutorials

needful things i need elsewhere

Posted by MABO on 25 Aug 2019, 22:45

It was once more a joy to watch the progress.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Aug 2019, 01:13

Many Thanks Jan. :thumbup: :thumbup:
And thank you guys for pressing the Like Button. :thumbup:
Then there are the silent visitors who pop along here and on my other topics too.
So a Big Thank You 2. :thumbup: It warms my heart that others are following.

:coffee: There is much more to come: The overhead rail-track with a gentle flow of river way down below it.
:cowboy: Yes sirry, Can you hear the whistle blowing.......

:coffee: i need this elsewhere but intend to make a simple base for this presentation.
The base will therefore be expendable.
However it will be a learning curb that others might benefit from.
:mrgreen: It will be very deep :sst: and very very cheap.
:cowboy: i can cut me a fishing pole and hope to get a nibble of a large Pike or even two.

:coffee: Well most certainly the river is very deep there with long trailing trains of plant life driven by the current wavy but straight. It is there within that deep stuff that Pike await their feeding time as the river in full flow to the old Victorian mill-yard a mile and a half downstream brings hundreds of tiny fish with it.
:mrgreen: Goody! i`ll cut two poles down and catch double the amount more Pike then Cowboy.
:eh: What about hook line and sinkers?
:coffee: As the river continues ever on wards in its snake-like flow through the City of Norwich,
i` the widows son will leave that answer for another time. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Aug 2019, 02:52

Image The Old Hornby Sign BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 26 Aug 2019, 09:28

Agree totally with Jan!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Graeme on 26 Aug 2019, 18:07

Yes, interesting progress. Good tips for eyelets on the chimney pots and rolling the conical roof section. And watching the bridge come together was riveting. :mrgreen:
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Aug 2019, 06:58

The little PUG most certainly the work-horse of the Victorian railway system and way beyond it.

.............................................. :winky: Getting back to the scratch - build.

The holes where poked through both sides of each bottom section and then it was stuck into place, which means the two sides of the bridge is :mrgreen: drum roll please,,,,,,, standing up without support.

:read: :cowboy: :wave: :winky: Good on ya BB. :sst: i never speak in capitals,but well done too.
:coffee: Well thank you fellows i am quite touched. :eh: EH! Whats happened ?
:mrgreen: Wingnut, has just woken up._____ :read: Yes BB, is certainly touched.

So gradually it sort of is coming together and looks the mental picture i had in my mind before i started this little bridge and rail-track run on the little Honey Well line.

With the bottom edge plate stuck into place there is another 76 little rivets to do.
Designed to be noticed when viewed from 10 ft and across a seven foot table layout.

i have also been working on raising the stone work,

and the top section holding the ho oo railway track has been cut out. There will be supporting girders fixed underneath to add strength a plenty just like on real bridges out in the real true blue world of overhead passing sky`s

Image Hi Guys!

Bank Holiday Monday saw Mrs B, out in the garden cutting back tree branches above our raised deck, i helped a little but tired out pretty darn quick so took a rest in the shady part of another little garden. Yes the Fiddle Wood Gnome was in shot of Mrs B`s camera. He being quite elusive these days makes this a very rare picture indeed.

Many Thank`s to Graeme, Gunnar and Jan for commenting.
It certainly helps oil the cogs of my imagination! BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 27 Aug 2019, 07:52

Think you are one of our best craftsmen in paperwork! And since you also are an author you know paperwork pretty well! :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Aug 2019, 11:39

i love working with paper and passing tips on.
So Tutorials has become a pattern work of dreams for me.
i do my best,but it is not without flaws. i call those adding character.

i must rebuild the clock tower if i have time, as it did once stand proud of its ticking and chimes and donged out the hours as if it had bells of shiny gunmetal. It stood near the Honey Well railway station for many years before it had to be demolished.

:coffee: i must tell you Gunnar, i think that i am perhaps the Biggest writer author here on this Forum.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :drool: :drool: Shocked!
:coffee: Well guys can you see the metal chair that i`m overlapping in our garden? :mrgreen: he he.

In my every day world of twilight retirement i write both here upon this Forum,and upon my blog.
A place shut down, but still very useful to me as i have several short books on the go there typed upon pages. A neat place fully protected in case this fantastic P C blows up, like three before it did.

All in all writing keeps my mind sharp enough, even though nothing else is gained. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Aug 2019, 09:20

Well guys the painting has begun upon my paper bridge. i used a base coat of Humbrol 21 Gloss Black Enamel, because it soaks in nicely and dries hard. It took an hour to give it a good coat and only one metal ball was dislodged which will be stuck back into place later. i painted the side of each girder first then the sides and bottom and top plates.

i left that tiny top section unpainted because i might want add a girder or two to it later. However i must make allowance for the railway cranes to pass underneath any added structure, or crash bang wallop! :mrgreen: Disaster!

:coffee: All in all ,It was a bit like painting garden trellis, unexciting. :eh: You mean boring?
:coffee: Yes a bit Wingnut, but Mrs B, said the uniformity of it works well. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Aug 2019, 11:07

Well the second only took 30 minutes to do, so that`s that sticky job is done. On my table the sun was about to swing its heated light upon these two home made, hand made little somethings. I want to put these out into the garden so they dry quick. To aid that i stand the parts onto a reflective heat sauce. This will dry the stickiness out quickly, avoiding fly`s from sticking to them when i put them into the sunlit part of the garden as they are seen above. :coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Aug 2019, 04:11

....................................................:winky: BB`s Handle

Not a pretty sight but this is just a template to be traced around, and i needed three off this one to get on with the job.

Along with my set square, i used plastic lids to trace around while working out the design and so it was another picture that had been in my minds eye came into public view.

This is why i left a gap at the top so this would fit snug and trouble free.

This will also serve as a handle and is in keeping with railroading stuff. At this point i needed to make up two support brackets in order to fix it top side.

Another little job to do was make up girders to support the bridge.

There are six three part girders.

Here the brackets are seen in place and they too were made by combining three parts.

i will run up an iron strip where the three flat edges can be seen and by doing so it will greatly improve them. That will run up the center.

The top plate needed cutting out next.

It was soon stuck over into rounded place.

The rivet holes await the metal shot.

I left an overhang sticking out proud which i`ll trim off to size later.

So lots of parts are gradually coming together now. :coffee: Many thanks for stopping by. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Sep 2019, 04:24

GOOD OLD WINKY, AND

................................................ :winky: IRONWORK VIEWS

:coffee: All i have to do next is paint all those bricks,
:sst: stick the rail base onto the piers ,
:cowboy: add the girders underneath it,
:mrgreen: then paint it all Black.

:eh: BB, why is it that i have nothing to say? :shock: :shock: :shock: You mean like us? :eh: Yes.

:cowboy: The track laying will be the last thing to do on this little hobby style scratch build.
:read: Entry into the journal,` Work has begun on making the large base.'
:coffee: Righty O`,it is 04.24 and i`m now off to bedroom daydreams now. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by C M Dodson on 02 Sep 2019, 08:27

Excellent work as always Mr B.

The bridge is fantastic.

You are a cornucopia of imaginative ideas which I hope you do not mind me feasting upon.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 02 Sep 2019, 12:02

I hear the train a-coming
It's coming down the track
I'm leaving this town
And I'm ain't coming back ... or something like that?

The train just keeps rollin'
It's coming to the bridge
And I leave my old life
Right behind that ridge ... :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Graeme on 02 Sep 2019, 17:00

you are an alchemist! you can turn paper into stone and steel.

The bridge looks awesome, Dorman Long would be proud of that.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Sep 2019, 15:29

Image Get ready guys the cold is a coming

:sst: bbbbbbrrrrrrr ! bb that`s a freeeeeeeeeeeeezing picture to present.
:coffee: That is OK little button, i`ve got something here to warm everyone up.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: We can hear that train a coming.
Thank you Gunnar for that sing along song. :thumbup:

Thank you Chris, :thumbup: and Graeme. :thumbup: This will be a working bridge that`s for sure.
:coffee: All my little tips are for free in these little books i publish here on this Forum.

................................................ :winky: BB`s BASE BOARD

The first two layers making up the base were made up and pressed by using heavy books. After it was fairly dried out i could take some of the books off, but left a few on to stop any bowing.

Today another layer was stuck into place on the other side after turning the base over. So i have a sheet of styrene between two layers of paper card. :mrgreen: That`s quite a sandwich BB .

:cowboy: It sure is Pard`s.

Three tier supporting sides glued into place around the edges of the base will avoid any bowing.
:eh: Ummm! :mrgreen: Wingnut, is still peed off at having nothing to say. :shock: :drool: :shock: :drool: Like us.

Instead of throwings these away i used them in a most eccentric way. :eh: Eh!

..................................................... :winky: BB`s HOT SEAT

:sst: bb, wore sunglasses to take this photograph.

The hot seat in question is where i dried out my painted pieces very quickly because of the reflective light qualities of this little set up. An idea that sprang from buying three dozen reflective survival blankets recently. Well it sure worked out fine on the black sticky gloss paint i used on this topic.

The girder supports have been stuck into place today, so i`ll paint the bottom black where they lay all lined up.

i can start painting emulsion paint ahead of time now and hope to show the results of that at the coming week end.

i stuffed newspaper flat inside each box filling it up to stop weird vibration noises as a train will pass over this bridge every 28 seconds. Empty boxes act like load speakers on model railway layouts.

:coffee: On second thoughts i`ll fill these with kiln dried sand which came my way for free. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 03 Sep 2019, 15:31

Bad news! The train won't start if there is any amount of snow on the tracks! It can get cold feet! At least here in Sweden.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Sep 2019, 16:44

Now this is a most welcome find. Free Paint is always good to a scratch-builder such as little o`ll me.
i will certainly be willing to mix up my pastel colors i need now ,but i will not say able due to my clumsy nature of splashing and spilling things about. So not able, but most certainly willing. :-D
Mrs B, fetched this home today just when i needed some. Now ain`t that cool ? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Sep 2019, 21:15

The shot gun pellets,the glue and paint i already had and were in used condition.
So i do not include them in the cost of this little scratch building adventure.
They were in my stash draw,and the plans cost nothing to obtain as they were safe in my head.
So the bridge with its stone supports cost me the price of a sheet of paper picture framing card.
Which was £3.45 UK Stirling.

You can buy off the peg laser cut m d f bridges on E Bay for £8.50, with free post.

Putting one together i`m sure would be great fun too. :thumbup:
:coffee: And there is no cutting out involved. BB

:sst: bb, is painting at present,
:mrgreen: but we wonder what will come next
:cowboy: from paper card?
:coffee: We will have to wait and see. BB :eh:
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Sep 2019, 06:24

Four strips of paper card 3 layers thick were glued upright into place around the top section,and reinforced by my simple cut up the middle paper brackets which i showed earlier.

It is very light, level, tough ,strong and well fit for my purpose.

There were two more struts to glue into place length wise just to reinforce the mid section.

:coffee: It`s just right for me to move about without needing help to lift it . toodaloo. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials