Modelling

Painting cavalry figures

Posted by Rich W on 11 Aug 2019, 19:44

Hoping you could all give me some advice on the following...

How do you hold/support cavalry figures whilst painting them? I use bottle caps with blue tac for infantry with bases to hold them but with cavalry stick one leg into the blue tac and then paint that leg once the rest of the figure is done. This isn't a very steady way of doing it so has anyone got any other suggestions? I'm aware some people would drill a hole through the figures backside and put a stick up it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 11 Aug 2019, 20:04

I use hot pins like this:

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Paul on 11 Aug 2019, 20:30

Half a wine cork combined with Pins/needles or toothpicks
For soft plastic - Use either a needle/ pin with the pointed end stuck upwards through the cork and stick the rider onto it or
for hard plastic - half a winecork, a toothpick ,the pointed end stuck upwards through the cork drill a hole in the rider and attach

The toothpick versions are also double up for attaching wheels for painting.
Paul  China

Posted by Peter on 11 Aug 2019, 20:35

Paul, stop chewing on that cork! You can't say it isn't true. There is a piece missing on the second one! :mrgreen:

I'm waiting on the advice of the impaler of this forum, Mr FredG! ;-) :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 11 Aug 2019, 21:33

Paul wrote:Half a wine cork combined with Pins/needles or toothpicks
For soft plastic - Use either a needle/ pin with the pointed end stuck upwards through the cork and stick the rider onto it or
for hard plastic - half a winecork, a toothpick ,the pointed end stuck upwards through the cork drill a hole in the rider and attach

That is what I do, but I use needles rather than toothpics. This works very well
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Dad's Army on 11 Aug 2019, 22:05

I use iron from a paperclip, and put them in a cork with plastic so it won't fall easy:

(no this is not a calvary figure, but the cork part I like to show) :mrgreen:

These are the type of cork:
and for drilling, a 0,5mm drill (a knife holder will work as well):
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 12 Aug 2019, 05:19

Roland_Kupski  Germany

Posted by Susofrick on 12 Aug 2019, 08:27

Paul wrote:Half a wine cork combined with Pins/needles or toothpicks

MABO wrote:
That is what I do, but I use needles rather than toothpics. This works very well

I also do like this. Just have to make more corks/needles, at the moment I just have five. :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Rich W on 12 Aug 2019, 18:59

Thanks for all your suggestions-pin up the bum it is then! Only issue is that we don't drink wine so no corks! I'm sure I'll find something else in the house that will work just as well!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 12 Aug 2019, 19:09

Rich W wrote:Thanks for all your suggestions-pin up the bum it is then! Only issue is that we don't drink wine so no corks! I'm sure I'll find something else in the house that will work just as well!

Good to hear that you don't drink, because all of those who suggested the cork are alcoholics. Some of them are using beercaps also! :mrgreen:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by FredG on 12 Aug 2019, 20:17

Coctail sticks are not just for impaling cavalry either Peter
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 12 Aug 2019, 20:19

FredG wrote:Coctail sticks are not just for impaling cavalry either Peter

Cheese? Salami? :eh:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by FredG on 12 Aug 2019, 20:24

Spam and pineapple ;-)
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 12 Aug 2019, 20:29

FredG wrote:Spam and pineapple ;-)

Oh fruit! :xd:

Yes that is more healthy as impaling! :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Aug 2019, 04:34

.......................................................... :winky: JUST A FEW TIPS

:sst: `mr winky,helps out again by pushing it into the middle.'
:mrgreen: `As did BB, below the plastic waist band and in more bright hot ways than one.'
:eh:`I`m confused already.' said Wingnut.

:cowboy: In the olden days of the 1960`s and half a crown a week pocket money, i used my ever increasing sticky mitts to hold the figures while trying hard , very ard ta paint e`m. As did many a growing boy did then. So it was therefore not unusual to see boys turning up at Dowson School, with fresh colorful painted nails. Which was by the way , way ahead of its time when we can now consider what is being taught our youngsters nowadays at school.

Much later in 2014 i used white hot pins shoved in deeply for all my gay colorful cavalrymen who quite seemed not to mind it at all. ;-) `i`mmm. :oops: Steady on BB.'

It even got much better for them too, because i pinned e`m butt end to their ever trusty steeds. Which meant that they all stayed in their saddles upon hasty clearing them away days of exceedingly good fun. :-D

:cowboy: My favourit song,`Up in the saddle again.'... :coffee: Bye, Bye,Every one. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 13 Aug 2019, 09:38

Peter wrote:Good to hear that you don't drink, because all of those who suggested the cork are alcoholics. Some of them are using beercaps also! :mrgreen:

Hey! It's hard job drinking all those beers just get the caps for painting the figures!!! It's a wonder how much you can do for the hobby!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :beer:

More serious! I bought a bag of lose corks, I think there were twenty in the bag and I cut them in half so they will last quite a while.
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Modelling