Miniatures Talk

Crude, Spanish-made 1/72 soldiers from the 1970s/80s?

Posted by Sid Guttridge on 30 Jan 2019, 12:09

Hi Guys,

When I was on a language course in Valencia in 1985, I came across some quite crude 1/72 scale soldiers that I believe were made in Spain.

My impression was that they were modified knock-offs of some other (possibly Airfix?) figures, often with only their head gear changed.

One series I do recall was an Arab Legion set, in which Arab head dresses replaced helmets.

Unfortunately I did not buy any at the time.

Does anyone have any further information on them?

Many thanks,

A nostalgic Sid
Sid Guttridge  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 30 Jan 2019, 12:20

Hmm, somewhere in my mind I think I remember that Mars used to make some quite crude copies of other brands' figures. Maybe some of our Spanish friends here knows more.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 30 Jan 2019, 12:47

Perhaps you'd find handy here: http://bum-german.blogspot.com/ :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by carlosfaro on 30 Jan 2019, 14:13

Sid Guttridge wrote:Hi Guys,

When I was on a language course in Valencia in 1985, I came across some quite crude 1/72 scale soldiers that I believe were made in Spain.

My impression was that they were modified knock-offs of some other (possibly Airfix?) figures, often with only their head gear changed.

One series I do recall was an Arab Legion set, in which Arab head dresses replaced helmets.

Unfortunately I did not buy any at the time.

Does anyone have any further information on them?

Many thanks,

A nostalgic Sid

I know that figures, They and other sets were manfucatured by company EKO in Spain, along with plastic vehicles, during the 50.s and 60,s
My father had many of them. Several figures were indeed oroginal designs, even that Arab legion!! I played much with those figures 25 y. ago or even more recently :)

Here you have the whole range:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Sho ... .aspx?id=1
carlosfaro  

Posted by Félix on 13 Mar 2019, 14:36

I think the brand you're referring to is MONTAPLEX. For many years they were my only figures. The vast majority were copy of airfix figures.
Today still sell loose figures, sprues and envelopes still unopened on ebay
Félix  Spain

Posted by Santi Pérez on 16 Mar 2019, 20:19

Hello, Sid.

Due to the adjective "crude" that you apply to those figures I agree with Félix: you must refer to MONTAPLEX brand.

They were the first model figures that I could obtain in my childhood. They date back to the sixties and, despite their poor manufacturing, they were very popular among children 50 and 40 years ago because of their low cost. I still have a good amount of them in my collection. ;-)

All of you interested on the subject can find a very comprehensive information about those figures in this webiste (sorry, only in Spanish :( ):

http://www.sobresmontaplex.es/

I hope I could satisfy your curiosity. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Miniatures Talk