Work in Progress

25mm Joachim - Napoleon

Posted by FredG on 30 Nov 2018, 11:10

I aquired this as 25mm with the thinking that it'll not be much difference with many 1.72 figures as they tend to be around that size. WRONG! :stressed: However I needed a short break from painting chevrons ( see my Prussian1806 threads) so I started throwing a little paint at this figure. It'll do when it's at the top of one of the display cabinets and doesn't get too much close. scrutiny. Now I have to paint the tiger skin :shock:
Not sure how much more washing etc I'll be able to do without killing the colours, I'll still tidy it up though

FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 30 Nov 2018, 11:57

Made the same mistake when I bought the moulds for Prince August's Prussians. The difference was quite (eh) visible!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Graeme on 01 Dec 2018, 07:15

Looking good Fred, this guy is always a real treat for the eyes. But yes, do preserve the bright colours, he likes to be noticed. :-)

I was very wary when it came to painting Murat's tiger skin, I really didn't think I could pull it off; but actually I was pleasently surprised by how much fun it was to do.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Kekso on 01 Dec 2018, 07:48

I think I will give up on wash advice since many people don't like it.
This is promising start Fred. I'm curious how tiger skin will turn out.
Good luck with that.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by FredG on 01 Dec 2018, 12:16

Kekso wrote:I think I will give up on wash advice since many people don't like it.

A 'conversation' I've been having in another place :P

You carry on with the advice and I'll continue using washes :yeah:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by FredG on 02 Dec 2018, 21:46

Well, painting the Tiget skin was fun. It looks like it's going to be really difficult but it's really fairly simple once you know how it goes. This one isn't perfect and I suppose I could repaint it and do a better job but as he's going onto a higher shelf I'll leave him for now.
I still need to finish the base. I'll do that tomorrow when the PVA has set.

I added washes to his face, his tunic and his gloves. The horse has a couple of different washes .

The base colour on the skin is citrus orange. It's amazing how much that tones down when the black stripes are added.

NB. His face isn't as good as it should be. If Joachim saw ithis figure he wouldn't have had to tell the firing squad to reload :shock:
FredG  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Dec 2018, 01:16

Lovely painting style FredG. :thumbup: BB

:sst: i`m sure glad that ain`t the real bouncy tigger, for he`s the only one.

Dalibor, every washday full of helpful advice is much better than none.
:mrgreen: Just use lots of colourful bubbles on your columns and keep us posted. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Graeme on 04 Dec 2018, 13:50

The tiger skin looks great and really completes a very nice looking figure.

Kekso wrote:I think I will give up on wash advice since many people don't like it.

Nothing wrong with advice. I didn't like washes because they didn't look good when I tried to use them (not the washes fault); but when you guys were giving Rich W advice on his painting I decided to give washes another go and had some success with localised washes on figures faces and hair and folds in clothing where dry brushing didn't work the way I wanted. A dark wash has also been useful on some very hairy cows I have here.

If I'm given advice I don't want to use I don't have to, that's my choice. But often I'll give it a try at a later date.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Peter on 02 Jan 2019, 17:11

Lovely painted figure Fred! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by FredG on 02 Jan 2019, 19:44

Better if the face was better sculpted Peter, Murat was proud of it :-D

“Soldats! Faites votre devoir! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu!.”
FredG  United Kingdom

Return to Work in Progress