Poll ended at 21 Jul 2009, 09:30

English Longbowman A
18%
English Longbowman B
82%

Total votes : 22

Posted by Adam on 14 Jul 2009, 09:30

"5 golden dueeeeelllss!"

yet another great entry, with some fairly simple terms: the same archer figure by Zvezda with some basing, no other limitations.

You have a week to choose your winner. Once again gentlemen take your places and may the best painter win.
Please leave comments until after the duel has finished

English Longbowman A

vs

English Longbowman B

Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Adam on 22 Jul 2009, 01:36

Ok guys, thank to Thomas and Cole for these fantastic entries, a worthy winner in Thomas, but a definate worthy challenger in Cole, getting better every day! Congrats to both :thumbup:
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by je_touche on 22 Jul 2009, 09:23

Both of them very nice entries. Thomas's style is easily recognisable by now (even if he hides his bases). The green-and-white archer is from Edward III's time, isn't he? I find Cole's entry quite underrated though with just four votes, it's worth more than that with his clean and clear painting and blacklining style. Stringing the bow in this scale is a matter of taste, I prefer a stringed bow but that's difficult to achieve because the bow is so thin and easily bends too much.

Maybe one little tip for the future, when taking pics of the model there is no need to show its weaknesses. In this case the face is a bit ugly due to the mouldline, difficult to hide that with paint.

IMO we should do something about better propagating the duels, they get much less votes than the competition pairings.
je_touche  

Posted by ColeF on 22 Jul 2009, 12:19

My fig was painted after a Osprey picture, was supposed to be a longbowman at Agincourt. I think I got beat by the little things: The bowstring, the alternating colors, the shiny helmet, and the overall all dark and dirty "feel". Good job Thomas, and thanks! :thumbup: :thumbup:
ColeF  United States of America

Posted by ColeF on 22 Jul 2009, 12:21

ummmm.... little problem...it won't let me edit/delete my own post???? :?
ColeF  United States of America

Posted by Maurice on 22 Jul 2009, 13:11

Congrats to both. No easy choice, in the end it were the little details that made the difference :thumbup:

And I agree with Je_Touché on the number of votes.
Maurice  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Francesco Giova on 22 Jul 2009, 13:46

There is nothing I could add to what has been already said, so compliments to both of you :thumbup:

I agree that the potential interest of the duels is not exploited to its full. There should be some sticky posts where people could find a partner and organize the duel, so that everybody could see how the challenge started and know which duels are expected next. I know there is a space in the topic, but you can find no information on what is going on. As it is now, I get the impression that everything is decided "in the back office", probably because most of the duels started in the chatroom. No criticism intended, just curious about some of the insight of a duel ;-)
Francesco Giova  Italy

Posted by Paul on 22 Jul 2009, 15:30

Thought I ecognised the Thomas style but that the other was cole :o
Both nice figures :thumbup: :thumbup:
Paul  China

Posted by Adam on 23 Jul 2009, 10:20

Agreed we could do with more votes, though I think these will always attract less votes than the main competitions.

Francesco Giova wrote:I agree that the potential interest of the duels is not exploited to its full. There should be some sticky posts where people could find a partner and organize the duel

there are see the main duel forum thread entitled finding a duelling partner.

Francesco Giova wrote: ... so that everybody could see how the challenge started and know which duels are expected next.

they are "supposed" to be annoymous, and indeed some have expressed such a preference to keep judging criteria based (even though I know many people have very recognisable styles) We can happily have a vote if people are keen to remove anonymity? Given some duels are started and finished in a few days and some take weeks, and months, an dsome get cancelled or abandoned it may be hard to track them properly anyway?

Nothing at all is done in the back room, the duels are just organised in private between willing individuals who send me the pics when done, we merely keep the mods (i.e. me :-D ) involvment to maintanence and consistent structuring.
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Paul on 23 Jul 2009, 17:00

Francesco Giova wrote:There is nothing I could add to what has been already said, so compliments to both of you :thumbup:

I agree that the potential interest of the duels is not exploited to its full. There should be some sticky posts where people could find a partner and organize the duel, so that everybody could see how the challenge started and know which duels are expected next. I know there is a space in the topic, but you can find no information on what is going on. As it is now, I get the impression that everything is decided "in the back office", probably because most of the duels started in the chatroom. No criticism intended, just curious about some of the insight of a duel ;-)

An insight into a duel, easy, someone picks somebody else out of whose on the forum, maybe cos that other person is into the same period (or maybe that other person isn´t into that period) and suggests something to paint, what sort of figure,what it´s doing etc and set a time limit to complete, say two weeks, send this info to Adam, then on the deadline they get posted to Adam with instructions about what should be voted on, eg; style and a time limit on how long before a final count is taken and that´s it basically. Of course cos it´s all fun then deadlines etc can be extented whatever.
Looks like you´re looking for a challenger ;-) (then you can see from `the inside`how it happens :-) :-)
Paul  China

Posted by Francesco Giova on 23 Jul 2009, 18:21

I am trying to make myself clear. I think The Duels is a wonderful idea, which does not encounter the same success of the Painting Competitions, if they get less votes.
So, my idea would be to copy some strong points of the Competitions: transparent advertisement in advance, fixed rules, direct evidence of the ongoing number of partecipants, in a word everything that makes us all "partecipate" at the events.
Yes, I knew there was a thread, but you find no evidence there of "what's going on".
I just think it would be nice to know what's going next, be it anonymous or not, it might be "two valiant challengers agreed to paint the same English Longbowman with some basing and no other limitations. They will be ready in x days or so, so be all there...".
Just my 2 cents, read it or discard it ;-)

@Paul: I am entering the arena when I am back from vacation 8)
Francesco Giova  Italy

Posted by Paul on 23 Jul 2009, 19:26

Francesco Giova wrote:

I´ll be waiting ;-) :-) :-)
Paul  China

Posted by Dad's Army on 23 Jul 2009, 19:39

Paul wrote:
Francesco Giova wrote:

I´ll be waiting ;-) :-) :-)

Good luck to the both off you :horse:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Benno on 23 Jul 2009, 21:49

Stay on topic guys. No need to comment to my post.
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Peter on 06 Aug 2009, 13:32

Nice contributions from both contestants. The bow string on Thomas bowman was a plus to me! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to The Duelling Field