Gallery

Captain of the Top - Royal Navy 1815

Posted by Phersu on 08 Jun 2018, 19:47

One of the latest figures I made on request, inspired to another 54 mm figure, apparently unavailable in 1/72 scale.
A subject that I particulary liked... so much that I wanted it for myself too. :winky:
So I asked the costumer if was ok for him have a resin copy, instead than buy the original master sculpted, and the permission to produce it, for anyone who may like it too! ;-)

Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Wiking on 09 Jun 2018, 05:56

" Iceberg ahead ! "
Wiking  Germany

Posted by MABO on 09 Jun 2018, 06:19

Very cool figure. And there is a need for more Sailors of the 19th century.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by sansovino on 09 Jun 2018, 19:39

I like your figure much - really well done!
Will you continue the production with still more figures to this theme?
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Phersu on 11 Jun 2018, 16:59

Thank you my friends!

MABO wrote:Very cool figure. And there is a need for more Sailors of the 19th century.

sansovino wrote:I like your figure much - really well done!
Will you continue the production with still more figures to this theme?

Except some ancient mariners, and an old rough experiment 11 years ago, I never done XIX century sailors before... but I like the subjects and especially these dynamic poses.

Indeed some more sailors could be useful to increase the range, in fact I'm thinking to make and produce a miniset of at least 6 or 8 figures. :thumbup:

A miniset was supposed to be in the original plan of the costumer who asked this first figure... I said "supposed" because then (incredibly, because we both talk italian!!!) despite we clearly agreed all the work details in advance includng the size, the costumer told me he misunderstand and that he expected a 54 mm figure... only when this first figure was done. :eh: :mad:

Never mind, fortunately is still a nice figure that I like to have, and worth to produce too... :winky:
And after all the costumer got 3 resin copies, that I offered instead of the master I sculpted... and perhaps I will have to do this figure again and some others in 54 mm too, another new experiment for me.

So it will take a while to sculpt and release a new 1/72 saliors set.
First because it was a work on request "cancelled", which turned into another of my projects to bring ahead by my own means... and probably also into a more complicate work if I will have to make the same set in 54 mm too.

Then I still have to plan it, I already have in mind some figures but I'm not expert, so I still have to decide how to arrange the set composition and poses... if you have hints and suggestions are very welcome! ;-)

Finally, I can bring ahead one or two other figures in the pauses... while I wait to harden the putty meanwhile I sculpt other sets, but of course I can't delay further more other the previous requests already waiting and the works already on schedule. ;-)
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Graeme on 12 Jun 2018, 02:20

Absolutely fabulous figure Leo, I love it and I will be watching out for any further figures.

If you do sculpt it again the only suggestions I can make are to have his left hand gripping a shroud (vertical rope) instead of a ratline (horizontal rope). And keep the shrouds straight, they're holding up the mast so they're tightened as stiff as iron bars.

But those are real 'button counter' crticisms, most people won't see them and, as I said this is a fabulous looking figure just the way it is.
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Phersu on 12 Jun 2018, 17:02

Graeme wrote:Absolutely fabulous figure Leo, I love it and I will be watching out for any further figures.

If you do sculpt it again the only suggestions I can make are to have his left hand gripping a shroud (vertical rope) instead of a ratline (horizontal rope). And keep the shrouds straight, they're holding up the mast so they're tightened as stiff as iron bars.

But those are real 'button counter' crticisms, most people won't see them and, as I said this is a fabulous looking figure just the way it is.

Thank you Graeme! :yeah:
It is always good to know and useful to do better the next time! :thumbup:

Sure not many will notice such mistakes, but such ilittle imprecisions are evident to the eyes of the experts and everone who know it... and quite easy to avoid if knew it! ;-)

I should have known thinking about, it's logical, and also remember all the images and scenes I've seen... the costumer sent me some images of 54 mm figures as reference, and that one I based upon was correctly grabbed to a shround, that was tight in fact... :oops: while only the ratlines appeared a bit losen :eh:

I should have paid more attention, but fortunately at least I can quickly correct the hand position and straighten a bit the loosen shrounds. ;-)

Massimo also made me notice another mistake.
The colour of the jacket was too light... the blue in the image I based as reference appaired too light because the particular highilghting painting on the 54 mm figure was a bit fajed by the photo.
Another mistake that fortunately can be quickly corrected with a bit of shading. ;-)
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by DickerThomas on 13 Jun 2018, 10:09

Hello Leonardo, :-D

great figure .. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by Hellboy on 16 Jun 2018, 19:36

An unusual and fantastic figure !!! :yeah: Just great ... !!!! :-D
Hellboy  Germany

Return to Gallery