Work in Progress

Epic Battles from Lord of the Rings

Posted by carlosfaro on 29 May 2018, 22:38

After I finished with He-Man, i want to focus mainly in The Lord of The rings ideas in order to produce enough figures to represent the bigger battles from the books and films (like for example Battle of Helms Deep, Isengard and Pellenor Fields but probably also including elves and dwarves for Battle of The Five Armies..)

i have not a clear plan (I know i want rohirrim, Gondor, main characters, mumakil and Harad troops s well as many orcs and uruk hai) and I will go slow, but i will try not to stop...

First main characters from The Fellowship of the ring and from the Evil Side

Here my first bunch of un-finisdhed Rohan warriors (foot and horse), more to come ....

I used many common figures from several sets which are medieval-dark age-fantasy-bearded-barbarian-or-viking-with long capes-round shields- but also many which are unknown, you know where are they from?

colour scheme metal-green-brown works quite good and it is simple and allows to miz fine all these figs from different origins

By the way, some of them are also bad moulded copies by myself at home to increase the horse archer numbers :)

Im afraid i will be dispersed again with other projects in the middle (like Game of Thrones which is allways appealing me, you can relaize it in the immediate previous post!)

Then,here you have also a preview of the Witch King of angmar riding a Fellbeast!

And my Mumakil Candidates: (cheap or-not-very-expensive toy plastic elephants!)

I want to show you also th look of my Marching Ents at this point:

Long way also for me to march.. I must keep slow but constant on the way as an Ent :)
carlosfaro  

Posted by sberry on 30 May 2018, 07:22

In principle I am a fan of strictly historical dioramas with a focus on accuracy even in minor details. But from time to time everybody needs a break, and so I always enjoy a nice fantasy of SciFi work. Like yours! The figures look really good, in particular those conversions are great! Concerning the last two pics, “I am Groot“ was the first thing that came to my mind …
sberry  Germany

Posted by Susofrick on 30 May 2018, 08:01

Great to see these! I am horrible at drifting around among my projects and start new ones! I think I will finish some of them, but some will just continue to drift around. :-D
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MABO on 30 May 2018, 11:29

As acollector of the GW LotR-range I am always interested in this topic. I like your idea and your way to create the main actors and armies from different producers and collections. So let them come and show us pictures.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Kekso on 30 May 2018, 11:34

That is a WOW project :shock: ... I'm going to subscribe
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 May 2018, 04:10

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by carlosfaro on 04 Jun 2018, 22:09

I advanced a "little" step,
here my first converted 1/72 War Mumak of Harad!!!

I was also encouraged by Travellers excelent BAttle of Hydaspes project, where there are also a big group of big war real-life "oliphaunts"

Figure and structure still to finish, and actual crew not available yet (some moors will do the job), but I am pretty happy (even if maybe tusks ended a little exagerated)

More pictures at

http://sceavusall172.blogspot.com/

carlosfaro  

Posted by Susofrick on 05 Jun 2018, 08:17

Isn't there a risk that he tip forward with tusks like that? Other than that no concerns, just love and a lot of it!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by carlosfaro on 05 Jun 2018, 08:38

You aré quite Right, I have still some doubts about that..The point is, i love a lot the look from the front,quite threatening.. Components aré not fixed still, I Could modify and place new tusks (maybe less vaste) if desired, but my problem is that I am not 100% sure about that (at least material is cheap and only 1h of work)
carlosfaro  

Posted by carlosfaro on 12 Jun 2018, 14:15

Some progress with the first War Mumak (I plan to do around 4)

I like the result after "weathering" tusks and adding warpaints and painting all structures.. Crew will be rerady during weekend (some Hat andalusians...) So long tusks worry me no longer...Result ok for threatening poor human opponents

still more:

Here Eowyn fighting the Witch King of Angmar
You guess where Eowyn parts come from?

More pics at

carlosfaro  

Posted by Paul on 12 Jun 2018, 17:56

Eowyn..Body..El Cid Moorish Command, First bod on the left , top row http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1833
Head, Modern Amazons set 1 Bottom row, middle. http://theredbox.com.ua/set/134.htm
Paul  China

Posted by Ray.Caruana on 12 Jun 2018, 19:16

A big well done!!
Ray.Caruana  Malta

Posted by Paul on 12 Jun 2018, 19:27

Paul wrote:Eowyn..Body..El Cid Moorish Command, First bod on the left , top row http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1833
Head, Modern Amazons set 1 Bottom row, middle. http://theredbox.com.ua/set/134.htm

Correction...the running archer from the Alliance amazons set(?)
Paul  China

Posted by Bluefalchion on 12 Jun 2018, 23:15

Ooooh I love this game!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 14 Jun 2018, 08:17

Love it!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by darkgorgoth on 14 Jun 2018, 08:39

spectacular :shock: :shock: :shock:
darkgorgoth  Turkey

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 17 Jun 2018, 00:06

Amazing project and spectacular conversions, carlosfaro. I will follow with interest. ;-)

Congratulations. :yeah:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Graeme on 17 Jun 2018, 03:36

I love this project, great choice of figures. Your pachyderm and crew looks fabulous and so does the witch king.

Keep this coming.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by carlosfaro on 19 Jun 2018, 21:35

Now some Haradrim warrior to crew the mumak, inlcuding Mahud drivers..(now lets play again: where are figures coming from:) also some original shots from Peter Jackson movies as inspiration..

Painting work still not 100% completed but test shots look fine for me

More pictures at

A second (armoured) Mumak is also on the production line
I did not much on thi figure, that painting and beautiful armor is original from the Toy manufacturer Plastoy..the toy is now really difficult to find and not cheap actually.. even so, still 75% cheaper than Games Workshop)
I just made a first "archery nest" on the right side, I hope after painting it looks better; now it is not so nice next to the very good original decoration of the figure...

carlosfaro  

Posted by Graeme on 20 Jun 2018, 06:28

carlosfaro wrote:Now some Haradrim warrior to crew the mumak, inlcuding Mahud drivers..(now lets play again: where are figures coming from:)

I see a HaT Sumerian and is that a Caeser Egyptian beside him? I can guess which range of sets the Haradrim are from but I'd have to trawl through PSR to pick the individual sets.

Good choice of figures, they look great.
Graeme  Australia

Next page

Return to Work in Progress