Gallery

Kircholm, 1605 - rescue the king

Posted by FatFather on 21 Mar 2018, 19:07

The battle of Kircholm in the history of Poland is a proudly reminded card, but also reminds of the times when Polish neighbors ruthlessly exploited all the imperfections of a country in which the king did not rule only noble freedom. The battle was the result of a controversy between the Kingdom of Poland and Sweden over Dominium Maris Baltici, because Sweden aspired to make its internal lake from the Baltic Sea. For Poland and Lithuania it was a sea window to the world. It was an element of the struggle of the Polish King Zygmunt III Waza with Karl IX of the Sudermans for the Swedish throne.
In this battle, the Swedes became convinced of the strength of the Polish hussars and began to learn to fight with it. Hussars (Lithuanian regiments) charged splendidly and won the battle with the ratio of Swedish forces 3: 1. Various historians counted Swedish forces, from 10,000 to 14,120 (the third part is a cavalry), and Polish respectively from 3,600 to 4,350 (two of the three parts are cavalry). The success of the Lithuanian army was taken from the simple hussar tactics.
The thing that inspired me in this battle, saving Karl IX. The royal horse was killed. Henry Wrede, a reuter, saved the king by giving him his horse.

Whole project

Wounded reuters

King and the reuter

Thanks for watching
FatFather  Poland

Posted by Susofrick on 22 Mar 2018, 08:46

Great scene! The Poles wasn't too kind to Wrede.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by FatFather on 22 Mar 2018, 20:52

Yes!
I'm very glad, that Susofrick answered. I was looking for more about Wrede, and didn't found more. Polish historian wrote, that he died in defending the escaping King. I had hope, somebody from Sweden could tell me more?
And Susofrick, king wasn't too kind for Paul Krajewski, his prisoner, polish hussar. :xd: :eh:
FatFather  Poland

Posted by Traveller1865 on 22 Mar 2018, 21:08

Wrede died obviously, and Charles IX was so grateful for his act he gave land to his widow and family, a sword supposedly belonging to Wrede is preserved.
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by Escobar on 22 Mar 2018, 22:57

Nice diorama! I like the detail of the king and dead horse. Also the scene it seems dynamic by the horses. Great
Escobar  Spain

Posted by Graeme on 23 Mar 2018, 02:22

Great intense battle scene and it tells a good story.

The close up shot shows some very fine painting.
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Gallery