General

What is the last book you read?

Posted by Gowan on 28 Nov 2013, 20:35

many books... but I need to read more
Gowan  

Posted by armpcm on 11 Dec 2013, 10:28

Here is my latest update,

For my ACH-47 project I have started to read Squadron / Signal Aircraft No 91 CH-47 CHINOOK in action, and in the guide line I have Boeing Helicopters CH-47 Chinook - Aerofax Minigraph 27 and some TM´s on the bird. :-)
armpcm  Portugal

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by KGV on 13 Dec 2013, 21:17

Crisis on the Danube, by James R. Arnold.
It's about Napoleons Austrian campaign in 1809.
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 14 Dec 2013, 10:13

The Jack West Jr books from Matthew Reilly! :cowboy:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 15 Jan 2014, 10:42

Well into A Dance With Dragons, the latest part of A Song Of Ice And Fire (Game of Thrones) by George R.R. Martin and feel I need to take a break. He hasn't finished the next part, it can take years before it is published and that is not even the last book in the series. I'll continue with a series that is finished (well, almost. The last book isn't published in paperback yet) and that is Magician by Raymond E. Feist. I've read them all, some good, some bad and now it is over (well, soon at least). And then I should buy and read Osprey's book about the Northfield Raid. :-D
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ben Bob on 15 Jan 2014, 15:38

The Outpost by Jake Tapper. It's a really great book describing the story of COP/PRT Keating in Nuristan, Afghanistan. The book is divided into three sections for the three major units deployed there. The final one is (I think) a company, of the 4th Infantry Division who saw the base overrun by several hundred Taliban. Much like Rorke's Drift, they rallied in a small part of the compound, and systematically took back the major sections.
As far as I know, the author didn't make any mistakes with weaponry nomenclature (a miracle considering it is a non-military writer of a popular book): that was a big plus for me :-D
Overall a good (long) book that stayed interesting throughout.
Ben Bob  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Jan 2014, 16:42

One of my own,I was not impressed!
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Feb 2014, 01:18

I was reading a Book about the first and last Bycycle with Square Wheel`s,but after reading part of the first page I realised this story was going nowhere fast and so I turned my attention into reading the Dandy instead,but reading Dandy`s are a very short read indeed,so I pondered upon a thought but then dismissed it as being unobtainable,it being on the subject of trying to gain a little bit of what teachers refure to as Speed Reading! I have since resigned myself to the fact that I could never ever really read that Bike Book that fast.However this Book is a very Rare One and a Very Special Piece of work indeed,it being about that first and last Prototype Bike my Uncle Neddy Eddie Longbottom Beano invented and scribbled about in this the one and only copy of his Book. This book to give him full credit where it is due, really is the one and only Hand Written Manuscript ,by his very own hand,but poor Uncle Neddy Eddie Longbottom Beano was eliterate and although he knew what on earth he was writting about,I never could.But the pictures are very good,he being a stoat fellow who beleaved intently upon the importence of them. Often was the case he would always ask if he saw anyone reading a book,"Is it good and are there any Pictures?"So his Book contains between scribbles and scraped off smudges of dipped in scratched ink, some very fine Pictures of his one and only Prototype Bike with Square Wheels.Of course he could neither sell his Bike or indeed his Book. However Uncle Neddy Eddie Longbottom Beano invented a new way to Crome Metal Fast,and made a complete and utter fortune from it.Uncle Neddy Eddie Longbottom to his friend`s and family is sadly no longer with us,but he left me his Tiny Terraced House and his very fine scrible of a Manuscript Book,and a most Shinny Gleaming Cromed Square Wheeled Bike that has been bolted to the wall over his Mantlepiece in the front room.It`s not nice of you to laugh at my misfortunes. No! He`s not Dead. He`s on his privately owned Greek lsland lazzing in the sun ,while I sit here in this front room wearing sunglasses to stop the glare!
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Feb 2014, 12:52

There might be those out there who might well ask,Why am I trying so hard to read this Manuscript Book?Now that is a fine upstanding question ,so I `d like to thank you all for this outstanding indirect question. Well it appears my dear old eliterate Uncle Neddy Eddie Longbottom Beano,being an outstanding Sane Fellow,but rather absent minded too,cannot remember what he indeed did write about in the first place when he knew what on earth he was writing about,and as for me I never could read it in the fist place,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and he wants me to be able to read and translate it in order to sell it,because he being the literal ingenios fellow that is,is so fond of his finest work`s.No not just the book but also his Wonderful now Highly Cromed Square Wheeled Bike.I struggle to undertake this daily task because of share highly motivated greed! Yes greed on my part,because poor old fantasticially rich Uncle Neddie Eddie Longbottom Beano,has a Big Fat Will in place,that states in legal terms ,that if I undertake to do this translation of his Manuscript full of highly polished meaningful word`s all with letters not looking like letter`s at all,that make word`s so highly shined and so well buffed up in his unque style,Well he`s left me everything.His fantastic privately owned Greek Island now renaimed BEANO,with a well defined Medieval Castle upon a cliff,and all his ton`s of money to Boot,but. Yes there is always a BUT! I must translate his finest work,and I must never remove that supper gleaming Square Wheeled Bike from the wall above the Fireplace Mantlepiece in this now my own front room. Now due to Uncle Neddie Eddie Longbottom Beano,I am caught well inbetween a rather large Rock and the steepest Highplace that one could well imagine.Cunningly while rubbing my sceamming hands with thier greedy fingers,I have thought perhaps I could just lie,and write a something quite wonderfully inspirring and which could,and would indeed so for it, take the world of lierature by storm,but! Yes yet another But again. What if my Uncle Neddie Eddie Longbottom Beano remembers what he did on earth write in the first place.True,Thats very true he could never ever read it,and could never ever learn to read now,because his head being so full up with future wonderful inventions just a ticking over inside it .Like the famous now Square Wheeled Bike. So much so that he cannot cram anymore of what he terms as Topsy Turvyness into it,him being the remarkible ingenious fellow that he is.Of course I could do the greedy thing and rewrite his splendid book,but upon remembering upon the subject matter inside dear old Uncle Neddie Eddie Longbottom Beano,being the stout fellow with great over coming idea`s could in fact ask someone to read it to him...........................I would lose EVERYTHING! If you get my Drift....This has been brought to you by Beano Boy Productions.....Copyright Feb 2014. I used to be quite normal but it drove me mad..... See Ya...............BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by KGV on 04 Feb 2014, 22:00

The Kaiser's Battle, by Martin Middlebrook. About the first day of the German spring offensive 1918.
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Mar 2018, 12:33

Some of the lads from B Squadron 22 Regiment SAS and their part in a hidden secret war in Oman.... Persian Gulf.

Providing medical care and delivering baby`s won the hearts and minds of the down trodden people and the enemy alike..... For they were one in the same.

I bought the Kindle adition on AMAZON. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 02 Mar 2018, 13:54

Assuming this book refers to the “Battle of Mirbat“ in 1972, it’s title is deliberately misleading.
The 9 SAS guys had a “little“ help from 60 omani soldiers & militiamen.
The number of attacking guerillas is slightly exaggerated as well.
Earlier & less sensationalistic portrayals of this incident quote a number of 200-300 attackers.

Not wanting to be the pedantic killjoy here, but being increasingly tired of the ever growing british triumphalism in relevant media (be it books, movies, tv documentaries or the notorious yellow press).

Apart from that, the original story really is a great read! :yeah: ;-)
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Mar 2018, 14:01

"Soldiers: German POWs on Fighting, Killing, and Dying".

Fascinating book. The British authorities bugged WW2 German prisoners talking about the war. They reveal a fairly brutal attitude & record towards the war. These guys weren't SS or anything, just normal German soldiers, sailors, airmen. Apart from the Hitler aspect, I think it reveals the truly ugly thing that war is & how it dehumanises.
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Mar 2018, 04:35

Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by FredG on 03 Mar 2018, 08:54

Erich von Manstein wrote:Not wanting to be the pedantic killjoy here, but being increasingly tired of the ever growing british triumphalism in relevant media (be it books, movies, tv documentaries or the notorious yellow press

I know what you mean. No other country would overemphasise their contribution in any conflict would they. :P
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Paul on 03 Mar 2018, 11:10

The last book I read? I don´t know..I haven´t got that far yet :-D
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Konrad on 04 Mar 2018, 12:10

Read that.
Listen Pavarotti.

Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Ochoin on 04 Mar 2018, 22:32

Anyone recommend a good book On Fred The Great that debunks him? I've always thought his reputation overblown & would love to read a correction to the hagiographies I've read.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 04 Mar 2018, 23:05

Ochoin wrote:Anyone recommend a good book On Fred The Great that debunks him?

There are quite a few objective and well-balanced publications available since long.
The more worthwhile among them are published in german language though.
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Mar 2018, 00:33

I read English & Italian (& can speak a fair Gaelic) but no German, though. Coma leat!
Certainly, I've read books that give Fred a pass mark for his various peccadilloes (eg running away) but he never seems to get the scrutiny & balanced judgements Napoleon, say, gets.

The role of luck & the ability of several of his generals seems to me to be generally discounted.

slainte, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Previous pageNext page

Return to General