Work in Progress

French Cuirassiers Horses

Posted by gbvarese on 28 Jan 2018, 13:53

Dear All,

I've recently finished Bordesoulle's cavalry brigade, which participated in the 1813's campaing. It comprised: 2 French cuirassiers Rgts, 1 French dragoon Rgt and one Saxon cuirassiers Rgt. The horses of the last one, dwarf those of the other three Rgts (Italeri, Airfix, Esci). I'm thinking of replacing the horses of at least the 2 cuirassiers Rgts with those of Italeri's carabiniers. However I have to modify the pormateau, which is round for carabiniers and rectangular for the cuirassiers; I can do it by making a mould in rubber a and then cast them in resin.

What do you think of it? May be I should post a few pictures of the brigade.

Thanks Giovanni.
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by C M Dodson on 28 Jan 2018, 14:26

I would suggest you use the Zvevda Cuirassiers, or at least the horses as in my opinion they are super. They look the part of a heavy cavalry horse unlike the Italieri chaps.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 28 Jan 2018, 16:17

Or you can make it with Green stuff?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by sansovino on 28 Jan 2018, 21:07

Yes please post a few photos. It´s always better ...
sansovino  Germany

Posted by gbvarese on 28 Jan 2018, 21:10

Dear Dodson, Kekso and Sansovino,

Zvezda's horses are all in trotting poses, neither gallopping nor charging. Definitly the set is superb but the described poses are a limitation. I'll post a few photos.

Thanks Giovanni.
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by gbvarese on 02 Feb 2018, 00:55

Dear All,

Since some of you have asked me to post some pictures of my 1813's Bordesoulle division, here they are. You can see together three generations of figurines: Airfix cuirassires, Esci cuirassiers, Italeri Dragoons/Zvezda Saxon Cuirassiers. The question already asked is: are they compatible to each other? As I said, they have been acquired and painted over a period of various decades, and during such a time many modelling features changed drastically. Perhaps Airfix cuirassiers are inadequate to gallop along with the Zvezda Saxsons, both in terms of size and precison of details.

What's your impression?

Thanks Giovanni.
gbvarese  Italy

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Feb 2018, 02:19

The reusable Oyumaru makes simple molds too, and yes green stuff make good plastic castings. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by gbvarese on 02 Feb 2018, 09:22

Dear Beano Boy,
I've recently bought the blu stuff, by Oyumaru, and tried to cast in resin, but it was a failure. I prefer for the time being, to use the classical silicon rubber mould.
Have you seen the photos that I posted? What do you think of them?
Giovanni.
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by gbvarese on 02 Feb 2018, 15:43

I've just added another picture of the Saxons which gives you the impression of their size compared to that of the other three units.
Giovanni.

gbvarese  Italy

Posted by FredG on 03 Feb 2018, 11:29

I can make no assessment as to size comparison. All I see there is massed cavalry charging.

Perhaps I should say, very nice massed cavalry charging :yeah:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Paul on 03 Feb 2018, 11:48

Paul  China

Posted by FredG on 03 Feb 2018, 11:57

Very good comparison Paul. Could you please do the same for the horses?
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Paul on 03 Feb 2018, 12:20

The above pic is from
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Sho ... aspx?id=22
Unfortunately I don´t have the Zvezda Dragoons
Paul  China

Posted by gbvarese on 03 Feb 2018, 13:20

Dear FredG and Peter,

Thanks for your comments. This is what I wanted to know: In the masse, the four Rgts are compatible, as, seen from distance, the difference of the horse sizes do not disturb significantly the general impression.

So far I haven't been able to paint the command group comprising General Bordesoulle and his ADC. Waterloo 1815 AP102M set , in white metal, seems to be the most suitable, as it includes a cuirassier general and two ADC's. In any case, I haven't found yet any evidence that General Bordesoulle wore the cuirass.

Have you got any information in this sense?

Thanks Giovanni.
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Feb 2018, 13:54

Giovanni, they all look on mass rather super cool ,and most certainly that's the way i like to see Napoleonic figures displayed. It certainly requires lots of effort time and dedication that is for certain in painting so many. So i thank you for presenting them all here.

Placing smaller sizes further to the back always worked for certain on my photo shoots of massed formations. I never displayed my AIRFIX cavalry because i hated them.

Upon your Title: French Cuirassiers Horses,i actually used the Zvezda Saxons as French Cuirassiers by converting them. Shoulder tassels easy to place ,and one paints the guys back as being that of metal. The head is off an Italeri or Revell French Dragoon. There were no French Cuirassiers on the market place at that time so conversions were drastically needed.BB
Last edited by Paul on 03 Feb 2018, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic link fixed
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by gbvarese on 03 Feb 2018, 14:52

Dear Breno Boy,

Great conversion; congratulation.

Do you have any information on Gen. Bordesoulle's uniform? The only image that I've found of him, is in full dress.

My Airfix cuirassires, as you can see from the first posted image, still fight onorably on my wargames table, being the most senior unit, as they were painted almost 40 years ago. It's a metter of affection. Probably I'll turn them into Polish cuirassiers.

Last question: have you got any suggestion as how to make fringed epaulettes? I normally make them with Milliput, but the result dosen't satisfy me.

Thanks a lot Giovanni.
gbvarese  Italy

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by FredG on 03 Feb 2018, 16:10

It would appear that Etiene wasn't one for taking a lot of selfies. The picture you show is the only full body one (well to the knees) I have too.
He does look like he'd need a very large horse though :P
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Michael Robert on 03 Feb 2018, 16:45

Hi Giovanni

I have these different générations of Cuirassiers, too (plus the Zvezda, plus hte Streletz). Also painted at large intervals - except some of the Streletz which are more difficult to combine because fot he differnent style, see Paul's comparison. To my mind you can use them together when making displays, putting the old Airfix into the background. BB told the same - creates a perspective effect.
Concerning the Maréshal, I use one from Schmaehling (ART Miniaturen) Nansouty - with Bicorn and cuirass, but there is also a Berthier in Bicorn and cuirass and a Caulaincourt in Bicorn without cuirass. Lots of choice. We live in the Golden Age of miniatures now.
Have fun, and great your figures
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by gbvarese on 03 Feb 2018, 17:04

Cher Michael,

Je vous remercie.

Giovanni.
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by FredG on 03 Feb 2018, 17:13

He looks familiar.

I wonder if Deano was a relative.

FredG  United Kingdom

Next page

Return to Work in Progress