Tutorials

Making Stuff from Packaging

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Dec 2017, 11:43

30-35mm Figure scale would suit my Water Mill. Well that is my aim.

Two layers of paper card stuck together on each side would provide a good sound strong wheel.
The size could remain but have 8 spokes and 16 paddles instead of 12.
However that would involve technical drawing but i will make one.

Showing 20mm scale toy figures.

To gauge any wheel with figures i use the halfway point to assess it because this i figure is the ground level point. Mrs b,as me " Why make the Mill Wheel first?" I replied, "Because that is the most important point of interest for many. A building is just a box a wheel slips onto, And most can make a box."

:-D i hope to see you guys later. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Dec 2017, 08:27

O My! That Poor Little Teddy. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Dec 2017, 03:10

Boxing Day,saw me making that which follows.

Plan C is the last Mill Wheel construction, and will be made entirely out of paper card.
For 1/72 or 28mm figures. Or Whatever?

I`ve added the Compass to the tool list on this one.

Make a Square.

To Round,,, to Mid Section Cross...then Corner to Corner. See ? It is very easy.

Mark out where the Spindles will be.

Cutting and popping the pieces out is great fun.

See what i mean? Anything that makes a mess is fun.

This is a Template and as such dimensions have been measured and cut out smaller as allowance has been made for the thickness of the pencil point as it Races,Traces around the entire wheel.
This means only this has to be measured out.

As the lines crossed over one another the Centre is fixed.

From now on all that is required is Tracing,Cutting Out and sticking all the pieces down.

I set into place a three layer laminated structure for each wheel.
The centre hole i`ll cut out later.
They will be tremendously strong when finished.
Scribing,then painting,then dry brushing and construction of all four wheels can finally take place next
There are two Plan C Mill Wheels.
All will be fixed onto a dowel which acts as a Spindle so it will turn on two pivot points.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Dec 2017, 13:35

The paper is scribed out both sides.

Dressing up the Spokes.

On both sides.

They are shorter on the inner side because they will act as a guide for the drum role that has to be fitted next.
This is made of a strip of paper card which has been scribed out on both sides with my best tool.
The empty pen! ;-)
Where the boards have been marked out in pencil it is cut half way through the card with a sharp pointed craft knife. This allows for the paper to form the required circle when sticking it into place.

Stuck into place without any problems.

It is well worth while scribing on paper card,because the deep impressions really show up later after painting.

I fitted the other side of the wheel as a dry run. Meaning it is not glued into place.

It went together well on the wooden drive shaft.
It is very important that the spokes on both sides line up with one another as the paddles are finally fitted into place between them.

Added thought`s to give a reason for the water driven Mill being there upon your layout or diorama.

;-) " Yes Flour Mills most certainly."

https://youtu.be/bBPl1PcckGY

:sst: " or even lumber mills cutting great timber logs into boards."
:cowboy: " That`s right little button" , agreed the cowboy who always sleeps in his boots.
:coffee: " Like the one seen on the Link above." BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 31 Dec 2017, 15:34

Very nice scratch built mill watermills. And I like the price. As we say in the states sometimes: Free.99
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Jan 2018, 03:16

The simple paper shaped paddles were each cut to size with three reinforcement strips added to one side. All were scribed out on both sides with my empty pen.

This is how the paddles will be fitted. Sloped back at the angle forms a good trough for the water from overhead to fill up rapidly thus driving the wheel continuously down and around. Only when the sluice gate is shut will the wheel remain still.
:mrgreen: "A nice spot for fishing i bet." :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 03 Jan 2018, 17:05

Great work so far paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Jan 2018, 02:51

Feeling much better today.
So i painted this wheel then glued it together on the drive shaft,and before typing through the early to late hours of this morning i thought to quickly pop the pictures of it here.

The paddles are painted too. They will be fixed later today.

The Drive Shaft Support, the Overhead Sluice and the facade of the actual Mill is all that needs doing.
Oh Yes,and a Puddle to sit it in. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Jan 2018, 18:40

Fed up seeing the pieces laying around and constantly moving them out of my way i determined myself to finish the other earlier Waterwheels today. Slight modification was needed in order to get the drum-roll on though. There were obstructions on the inside of each wheel that i needed to remove with the craft knife. ( Mistakes are made for fixing. ) The recycled paper card used came in the mail and was easy to scribe out with my trusty empty pen and then stick into place.
___So Mrs B,has a new phone,and yes i received the packaging. ;-) i`m happy with that.
" What about making some paddle steamers", Mrs B suggested. "
____ " i`m far to busy for that",,,, i replied. :-D

:coffee: Now the games afoot for fixing up the other one laying on the deck in the picture above,
but only after me tea. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jan 2018, 00:29

So much glue globed out by me ain`t an easy thing to juggle around with,with my shaky mitts. ;-)

i needed a third hand to help me out. So I emptied out our ice-creams into the freezer and commandeered the box. It was a special ops moment in Mrs B`s Kitchen,as i really am not allowed to fudge and fix things up in her space.

I slipped a card flap under a glass cutting board,and sellotaped the other end down.
I pushed the dowel through the top and it was as good as a vice on which to work from.

See what i mean?

Fixing the drum in was straight forward even though it went in round. :eh: EH!

:sst:" that was a cool box idea!"

It is handy how packaging can help one out. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Dad's Army on 07 Jan 2018, 15:18

I love the ice-cram box :mrgreen:
Good choice Paul :yeah:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jan 2018, 18:12

The four part paddles are all fixed in place on one wheel. :mrgreen: He He! Three more to finish off.

Remco, :-D i`m a using that box again on my rather untidy but very active table.
Applying the very cheap acrylic paint before gluing up,because it would be a complete pain trying to paint the inside of this rather intricate 42 part Mill-Wheel if i did slap the glue upon it and push it all together. Every bit cut by me own mitts around a blunt chopper, and bashed together solid with a average size 30 Ib sledge hammer! :-D it is never a chore or even a bore keeping slap-dash busy. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 08 Jan 2018, 21:20

Dad's Army wrote:I love the ice-cram box :mrgreen:
Good choice Paul :yeah:

Concentrate on the wheels Remco! The wheels!

I'll come back to you when you're asleep! :mrgreen:

Great work Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jan 2018, 00:47

A rather relaxed but busy day today. The last supports were added to the second Plan C wheel,and they were stuck inside of the drum on this 70 piece wheel.

Those supports fitted perfectly; aligning up with the other side as it is pushed into place in a dry run like before. All the paddles were then made......

.......and everything was painted black to match exactly the first one already made.

Smilies Interlude

To keep Remco, focused :eh: " Eh?" i thought to show,the ice-cream box one last time before i cut it up for roofing materials. :sst: "shingles!" mentioned the little button.
:cowboy: "Good.i need some on my outhouse." :drool: :drool: :drool: "Eh?" :mrgreen: " The Lave!"
:sst: " hole in the ground, somewhere way out west near tucson arizona."
:coffee: " Well i guess i will have to consider that one? But someone must beat back the flies!"

:read: " Back to Topic."

The other wheels were painted brown before being pushed together. It took me four and a half hours to paint the wheels up today. Sticking together and Dry brushing comes later tomorrow.

Mrs B,asked.
" Why make four wheels?"___ " Well dear i find repetition makes at least one look good."
:mrgreen: " It is more like greed!"

:coffee: Sip! Sip! Yawn !Yawn! It`s been a busy worthwhile day. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Jan 2018, 08:55

Looking good! Will there be a mill and a little stream for it too? Ah, by the way, if you see something white and brown on your floor it can be that the icecream has melted. And in that case (don't tell Remco), it is dead!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jan 2018, 14:35

Well Gunnar my friend, thank you for your question. :thumbup:
In a word, Yes.__ A quirky type logging mill that does wash its footings in the tumble - down river at some forceful point, while the wheel turns steadily beneath the gleam of clean wash.
As always cheap water effects and nothing to deep for such reflections. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Jan 2018, 01:11

As my tea cooled a little i was cutting out the tiny strip of cardboard needed to make the round ring housings that go on the dowel. One wheel to have its paddles fixed on too. They are all made.

These ones are too large for this downsized spindle,but so easy to make by winding and sticking it around the dowel. Two identical wheels are nearing their completion,and the others too.

Showing the large bucket troughs that drive this wheel down and around.

Mounting these Mill Wheels is going to be fun i have looked at lots of photographs on line so lots of options are being considered. Although my wheels were designed by me,and therefore are not models of actual Mill Wheels. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Jan 2018, 14:17

Glue on my fingers.

won rof ti s`taht .......... BB stays the same as BB. :-D
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Jan 2018, 04:05

While dry brushing and fixing the two half`s together i broke the dowel.

Yes it snapped off.

It`s no great problem It just needed trimming off.

I re-bored the hole in a jiffy.

Globbed some glue into it.......

..... and re-plugged it with the dowel.
The white glue looks messy,but when dried clear It will be as tight knit as a bug in a rug.

When scratch building things happen like this, and it is well worth keeping cool about it and in this unplanned case it was all fixed very quickly indeed.
For the benefit of others i like to explain and show these little misshapes. ;-)

So the last three are nearing their finish. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 14 Jan 2018, 11:45

Didn't read whole text, what is the purpose of curry powder? Or it is just photobombing? :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials