Modelling

Paint stripping

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Oct 2015, 20:37

Paul wrote:What ever method you use, Try it with only one first and it they are different colours (red or the cream colour) try out with one of each. I removed the paint on a Batch of Republican Romans..the silver ones (Italeri) were ok but the Cream coloured (Zvezda?) turned into jelly.
Also the guards may be starting the dreaded "plastic rot"* and any paintstripping may Speed this up.

*to test, put into a ziplock bag (or any sealed container)and after a couple of hours sniff..no smell they are ok but there´s an unmistakable (and indescribable )smell if they are starting to perish

The stuff of nightmares, Paul.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Oct 2015, 02:24

Accepting that all methods work,I wondered what the cheapest method would be.So I checked.
Mrs B,buys Large Bottles of Thick Bleach for 85pence.
Dettol is £2.88 or £3.50.
Simple Green is £2.57
Having used the thick bleach for way over 15 years i highly recommend it.

As for Figures with Plastic Fatique ,they usually fall to pieces easily even before you have a chance to wash them in soapy water. Having soaked 60 yearold plastic toy figures in bleach for up to two or three weeks or longer,never has bleach caused Plastic Fatique or melted the plastic. I`ve only had two cases in 15 years where I`d bought duff figures that fell to pieces. Plastic Fatique makes plastic turn into a soft china like state.

Rubber Rot is much more common when oil based paints are used. Enamal Paint being one of them.Another top reason why the Rot? Is down to the cheap mixing of Talc or Starch into the production process of mixing Rubber for making model or toy figures in China. I looked into it,because I lost so many Hat figures where muskets broke off.I would not recommend buying any old painted rubber figures. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Oct 2015, 08:05

Paul wrote:
*to test, put into a ziplock bag (or any sealed container)and after a couple of hours sniff..no smell they are ok but there´s an unmistakable (and indescribable )smell if they are starting to perish

Although I have a room in the house I paint in, I also have a shed where I can leave things that might stink up the house.

That Simple Green certainly does the business. Possibly the best tip I've ever gotten here at Bennos.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Dec 2017, 04:41

A few 46 year old W German figures for the collection,and 4 that will finish making one set up. The yellow Indian above is one of them. As some child had brushed some awful paint upon them i need to clean it off.

While i soaked my old period piece toy figures ,i remembered this topic. The thing is you can mix any plastic coloured figure together in bleach for many months in fact. I filled a jar up,then forgot about them. 3 months later i re-discovered the jar with the mixed cloudy colour paint. Upon opening the figures were fine,and without damage. Over the years i have stripped off paint on thousands of plastic figures in this way. I`ll check these out in couple of weeks. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Dec 2017, 05:42

Definitive advice on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SsWOYMialA
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Dec 2017, 05:48

Can't say I've used this but the Big Boys do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RErvhqZ7aKw

Cleans air brushes, too.
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Dec 2017, 01:19

Dettol is way to expensive! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 07 Dec 2017, 20:05

How dare you to forget such lovely figures! ;-) :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Dec 2017, 04:43

I forgot my rather nice expensive period piece W German figures since 3/12/2017 and they`re still in that sealed up tight jar. They still look OK! :-D i think they like it in there, as It brings out the colour of their eyes and they sparkle right through the glass.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 28 Dec 2017, 12:11

What they need is some new paint! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Arkoudaki on 11 Jan 2018, 00:13

An update on paint stripping! Well I finally bought myself one of these 'Ultrasonic Cleaners' (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06 ... UTF8&psc=1 ) and I have to tell you that I love it! I have used Mineral Spirits and put various figures in there and within 10 mins the paint is all gone! You have to be careful as the Mineral Spirits heats up over time but the whole process is just amazing. My next attempt will be using Dettol in the cleaner, to see how it performs.
Arkoudaki  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Jan 2018, 01:42

Mine are still in the jar. Kinda like very clean active Scuba Divers!
i have lots of paint Peter so i might attempt to paint one a month. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 11 Jan 2018, 17:37

Beano Boy wrote:Mine are still in the jar. Kinda like very clean active Scuba Divers!
i have lots of paint Peter so i might attempt to paint one a month. BB

Sounds like a Remco! One figure a month! :xd:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous page

Return to Modelling