General Wargaming

General D'armee #1

Posted by Ochoin on 14 Nov 2017, 06:17

Napoleonics was my first, & for a long time only, period. We used a variant of the olf WRG rules but I found them increasingly unsatisfactory. Hence, the look for something new. And I think we've found it!

'General D'armee' seems to tick all our boxes: unit & army size, Napoleonic tactics, relatively quick & decisive games &, not least, a load of fun.

Our trial game was the scenario from the rule book but with Confederation of the Rhine forces opposing the Russian army.

The battlefield:

We managed to run about 9 turns (out of a possible 16) in under 4 hours. I was the only one who'd read the rules & there was much leisurely explaining & discussing. With a little experience (next game!) I think the whole battle in 3 hours is realistic.

The game relies on your ability to plan & lead your small soldiers. Things don't always work out as you'd want them:

Just before a potentially game-winning charge, my C-o-tR cavalry brigade became hesitant & refused to move forwards.

Turn flanks, screen your advance, seize strong points & terrain features - it's a challenge.

Whilst the Russian cavalry seized the centre of the battlefield:

Certainly just as exciting as the actual shooting & melee was manoeuvre: both sides jockied for position.

Although units exist as battalions etc, the key element is the brigade: with all its components. Here is a Bavarian-Wurtemberger brigade with line infantry in columns, skirmishers to the fore & the brigade commander & ADCs controlling everything.

And a Westphalian-Polish brigade as well.

Difficulty in in the variety. Units are graded according to size & training. Large but poorly trained Russian Opolchenie must be handled appropriately in order to function constructively:

Although the game wasn't finished, The Russian artillery held the high ground & looked formidable:

I felt the rule book is lucid, the supporting You Tuibe videos useful but even after one game, I think the intuitive nature of the rules means you are gaming confidently.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by C M Dodson on 14 Nov 2017, 08:46

Nice looking figures and different units on display.

Very good.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Fire at Will on 14 Nov 2017, 09:25

I've bought the rules, but I've not read them fully yet. Must get around to trying them.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 14 Nov 2017, 09:46

Fire at Will wrote:I've bought the rules, but I've not read them fully yet. Must get around to trying them.

Clearly, I recommend them.
The scenario in the book ( a part of the Battle of Bautzen), is well worth a go as a learning experience. You can substitute any army you like, but hopefully keeping to the size/quality stipulations.

It was good to give the Wurttembergers a "run":

and my Russians, who have loads of cavalry & artillery but not enough infantry (c'mon HaT!) could easily provide a force for this sized battle:

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Peter on 14 Nov 2017, 17:12

Looks like it was a nice game with loads of nice painted figures! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 14 Nov 2017, 21:09

Peter wrote:Looks like it was a nice game with loads of nice painted figures! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Thanks, Peter.

So one more for you:

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 27 Apr 2018, 20:48

As PostImage changed their site, resulting in the photos disappearing, for anyone interested, I refer you to the same photos on this site:

http://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forum ... al-darmee/
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to General Wargaming