Work in Progress

The Asterix scratch building project.

Posted by dykio on 10 Oct 2017, 19:26

hi Paul,

just to let you know that i'm still following this tread with much interest and loving every picture of it. And i'm very curious about the way these round houses are coming along. So keep those pictures coming !!!
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Oct 2017, 19:50

What a Shock!
Short back and sides!

Ha! Ha! We have all sat in that Barbers chair.
My first haircut I remember well.
Such curls did fall upon that busy floor for harsh sweeping.
I sat upon a wooden board that stretched across the barbers chair from each arm.
It was hard and not nice,
and I sure hated it when he pushed my head down for such a low and high buzzing cutting at the back.

A treat for being brave, :sst: I thought,
were the smart new cloths and gosh! Shinny Black Shoes.
I could not wait to show them off.

Upon reflection of it,it was all part of a contrived social treatment.
Including that hair raid that took place without very little warning.

Even more great shocks came as the very next Monday loomed up upon my gentle horizon.
I was sent to school at four and a half years old.
Sure I received a splendid dinner fit for any high born Prince of the realm,
but upon my way home after such a twisted out of shape bad day,
I decided I`d not go again. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Dad's Army on 10 Oct 2017, 19:56

mmmm Liquorice and roofs for the houses of my favorite figures ....
I love this post Paul, can't stop watching your making of treat!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Oct 2017, 20:14

dykio, My dear fellow member,i will keep posting fluffed up pictures a plenty!
That upon them reaching an ending might even surprise little me.
Not that i imply they will be good,____but finished and stood a standing.
And fit enough to take up their highly polished little spaces. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 10 Oct 2017, 20:26

As always this will be a free illustrated booklet for Benno`s Figure Forum.
For any and all to finger and thumb their way through its many pages at will.

Remco,`The Ginger Bread House',comes to mind for all those wishing to eat their hobby. :mrgreen: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Oct 2017, 14:03

My sweet tin jig, gives a perfect working height for myself as the thatching work requires no bending down for me little o`ll back. ;-)

The repetition of each layered course is just a matter of dipping them in the glue,and plunking them sticky-like into place,and then moving onwards with the next piece. The first course laid took 62 pieces,and the last course 26. So there is a lot less work involved in constructing a roundhouse.

Two will be finished some time today. The third one will be of a quick thatching job over the weekend.

As each course covers the glued parts, often is the case I have been asked," How will you finish the roofs?" They are very good questions, because there is a need to neatly finish the job.

So this now covers that simple ending to these two Asterix roundhouses.

Each of the last pieces are tied in the middle with hemp.

Then each will be stuck into place as shown above. This is just a demo,and the real ones will be cut to correct size.

To finish off the work: a length of hemp will be wound around and around to completely cover where the ties and any glue will be. I will therefore show that end result later.

For now a little peep at how far the thatching work has developed this week. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 13 Oct 2017, 15:02

The last picture is horrible! The robots have taken over the village! :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: Or is it Romans in costume??? Where are our heroes???
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Graeme on 13 Oct 2017, 18:21

Susofrick wrote:Where are our heroes???

Don't worry. They've probably just gone looking for ingredients for magic potion.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 13 Oct 2017, 19:37

Well Gunnar the Sentinels are just curious in an egger animated concrete way .They are finding their feet so to speak after traveling from a parallel universe. Fred is on his way. :-D

One and all should always remember this is quite a magic table where the strangest things have happened before,and will yet again.

THIS IS BEANO BOY NEWS

The Gaul`s are out having a tip top adventure that I hope to show soon. Meanwhile the Romans are massing and are plainly up to no good. From a clifftop view Roman Galleys have been sighted heading for Britannia. Speculation is they want to cut off the supply of Norfolk Reed, and also seize the fabled magical Cabbage Patch. The iceni tribe are preparing defences along the East Anglian coast. Yes without even one fag butt or long puffing cigar between them they aim to fight them on the beaches. They cannot fight them in the streets because the Romans haven`t landed yet to lay any. :mrgreen:

It is pay back time: retaliation for Britannia importing the Great Norfolk Water Spider on page one of this topic.
The vast Roman fleet plan an awesome pre-emptied strick : To infest Britannia with long eared Bunny`s and Guinea Pigs, which have been especially trained to fit onto their ships catapults. Kitted out with parachutes they will drift inland for miles before landing and gnashing anything that has a leaf and a root to it. :eh: `Rodent Warfare ', :drool: :drool: :drool:, never attempted before could reduce Britannia down to a sea of sand like Egypt.

Meanwhile seeming like an anticlimax when compared to my cartoon sketches above.

The last pieces of thatch have been tied and knotted for final leg of this double scratch-build. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Oct 2017, 14:04

It is true to add that the Romans according to historical fact taught in schools introduced those critters to Britannia. Of course i being a BEANO BOY, out for extra fun just gave my version on how they did it.

Have no fear the Asterix figures are indeed back after securing the last boat load of Norfolk Reed to leave those mystical foreign shores.

They appear to have had longer invoices in those far off days of comical coloured ink on cartoon paper. See you guys a little later:-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by FredG on 14 Oct 2017, 15:00

The real scourge the Romans introduced was Helix pomatia.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Dad's Army on 14 Oct 2017, 20:02

Hey Paul,
I heard in Holland more than 101 new Romains are getting there training right now :mrgreen:

Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Oct 2017, 10:10

The last course went on dry and was tied by gluing a wide band of plumbers hemp around the middle and by simply sticking the two ends. This was designed that way so i could simply lift off any top if I wanted to change any of them. The brush retained the smoke hole. :mrgreen:

They will be washed over with watered down glue 50X50 Mix,and will dry out hard so no hairs will fall about when moving.

I have many years of painting one a month to catch up to Remco up. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Oct 2017, 15:01

The long hot summer of 1960 being over i headed for new adventures ,
at another higher up the social ladder school.
I must admit it,my heart was not in it.
For it were a fearful move for my head of ignorance. ;-)

Below is the very first book I read at Norman School,
but what has it to do with the Asterix building project?

:read: "We will see." Answered the clever dick, Book Worm."

If one was to read of poor Robinson, cast away upon that deserted island for donkeys years.
Therein lies the full instructions of a defensive double structure. There he hacked out a cave from a rock-face and the chippings he tipped into his half circle wooden structure.

:sst: " this is bb`s version on a smaller scale."

Here not all is wood or rock chippings, but the main principles are set out and duly applied.
Thank you Robinson. :thumbup:

Only four sticks were needed. Well it is a much smaller scratch-build than poor Robinsons.

Polystyrene sheet. It will do for grounding a something upon.

Two parts of a circle were drawn lightly out and a skewer was pushed right through at intervils.

It was stuck down onto another sheet to avoid bending. A heavy book was placed on top.

The four skewers were cut up with some longer than others.

Pegging out began.

There are many an application , be it for buildings or walls, military or other wise.

"I wonder how it will turn out."

" We are wondering too."
The last Roman in line mumbled out," What and who is a Robinson?"

:-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Oct 2017, 15:49

More plans are a foot on plan A and B of last post. ;-)

From one of our tiny gardens a Buddleia trunk, for the iconic tree-house. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Oct 2017, 02:39

I must say I have been most lazy of late,and have no ongoing work to show at present,
but I did manage some preparation work.
My 3Ib of air drying clay seen above has all been mixed up,and was a job that was quite hard to do with hands like mine. So next orders for polymer clay will be for the ready mixed stuff.
The other reinforced polymer clay I used on the roundhouses shrunk and cracked and became loose with the drying out. I dare say if I had not used the cocktail sticks for reinforcement during the build,these structures would be derelict buildings by now.
Hopefully the fresh newly mixed clay will fall into place neatly for chimney construction,as there will be a few chucklesome examples sitting upon wooden rooftops.

I came across this old Asterix cartoon page,of 1988 I think,and enhanced it as it was rather dull and most faded. I kinda like it so plunked it here. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 22 Oct 2017, 10:36

I hope to see complete Gaul's village soon, Paul... keep up with good work.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Oct 2017, 15:17

Thank you Dalibor, for your comment and added interest. :thumbup:

Work is ongoing but slow,because I am the epitome of," Goodness me! Did it really take that long?"
It is quite unlike opening a box and there one is. ;-)
:mrgreen: "Deciding on how best to open a box, takes some superior thinking about for some,as they determine it needs desperate ripping first one way and then another spraying the room with ruptured cardboard and spent metal staples."____ :sst: " o`,my! watch your eyes."

Anyway here`s where I am at.

The third roundhouse building is halfway finished.
Another two with square corners and wooden tops,are in the early planning stages.
In me minds eye! ;-)

Thoughts of The half curved palisade I am still pondering upon. :drool: :drool: :drool: "Eh?"
However I have prepared jigs for smaller fencing. I will show that later. :-D

The last two roundhouses have had their soaking of diluted PVA Glue today. A Sunday!
So it is a messy drip a lot day in Fiddle Wood, that is for sure. It will I know, dry hard.

I was so glad I put the top course of hemp on dry,as I decided to remove it , and it only required a snip of my large scissors. It was easy to fashion another not so bushy-like. So I am well pleased with the result of that work now.

See you guys later.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Oct 2017, 23:47

BRINGING HOME THE BACON

They do seem rather apt at doing such a thing.

I`m using string this time.
A something out of one of my special oldest stash tins.

It sure brought memories flooding back into my brainbox of the days long past, when I was designing and making my own hot air balloons. Toy ones that is. One filled in its hanging down position an entire corner in the lounge for many years. Mrs B,always wanted one and in those days money being short,i made her one from scratch, for I have always been keen to find new delights.
She adored it,and so did many of our friends. I ended up making half a dozen of those colourful things with woven baskets a dangling with tiny figures that cheered everybody from upon high. Perhaps one day I might make another as our old dusty thing was replaced with a rather large oblong TV with iron brackets that fixes it to the wall. A splendid thing I do not watch that often. Time just spins away in my usual day.

EVER ONWARDS

BB`s Garden Fences for ______The Asterix Building Project. :-D

I arranged three tiny jigs that were all quite a fidget to do, but such jigs save time in the end.
So are by best well worth the jiffling of one or several pieces together.
Plan A. I tried cocktail sticks! :(
Plan B,i used thin wire I normally use for homemade tree`s! ;-)
They just did not pass the quality control. :drool:

HOWEVER
On Plan C,i used my Ballon string already mentioned,
that had lain in the sealed up tight tin for over 19 years. :-D

The design is a simple zigzag affair with an off side wall,and it being free standing,and not a falling over like the Friday night drunk, passed the quality control.

I overlaid my odd job jig with a plastic sheet,then pegged out every hole fit enough to receive the cut up skewers. These were pushed through the plastic sheet and deeply imbedded into the jig.

I want to be able to remove the entire little thing after it is solid hard.

Hard because fine shingle was added filling it up as is seen in the photograph. Then diluted PVA Glue was dribbled over the entire top dressing of stone. This will go hard by morning.
It being a Monday!

A top tip is one I have long used on my railway,a drop of washing up soap added to the diluted glue, will break the surface tension on those stones making sure it soaks right down into it coating every layer in its passing. With no soap added,it rolls off the top in failure.

Once dried hard,the entire piece will lift off, and those peg ends on the bottom will be snipped off,quick as a few snip snips take.
So the first little wall will stand upright, and true and several will serve as garden boundaries.

"BB`s always cooking something up."

I will be making several other walls using this method, and for wattle and daub type buildings .
So I will certainly show stages of that work. It will be far cheaper than expensive clay that is for sure.

I sincerely hope you pop in to see what`s going on.
In that way we can all learn together as I myself have never tried wattle and daub.
I will certainly need to do it on the Chiefs House,which is a third part stone,and a third rendured walls,then a wooden roof. I am sure It will be fun. :-D
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 23 Oct 2017, 07:19

I don't remember any Romans in Robinson, but never mind! Good work, Paul! And knowing how fast I work I can only be patient and wait for a very nice result! There is one thing with these long WIPs, we're going to miss it when it's over! It's like a good TV-series!
Susofrick  Sweden

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress