Officers Mess

Photobucket?

Posted by MABO on 01 Jul 2017, 08:44

Hello friends,

I have seen, that photobucket has blocked the my pictures posted here - like the pictures from other members as well. As far as I know, after browsing the net, it seems that all users have to pay now for posting pictures hosted by photobucket. Is this true? I did not get on any side where they offered method of payment or "invited" me to pay for their famous service.

And in case of changing the host: Is there a possibility to exchange the links for the pictures. I think this can only be done by Moderators, which is impossible for them to do so for all the pics.

I am confused and pi**ed of, because I had no time to deal with this at the moment.

:mad:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by FredG on 01 Jul 2017, 08:53

This may be useful

For users who are affected by this, it is important to note that the images are not gone. They are still hosted on Photobucket, and you can actually load them right then and there by right-clicking on them and selecting "open image in new tab" or "open link in new tab" depending on the web browser that you are using. This opens the Photobucket website where the original image is displayed.

$399 is a bit heavy when there are still free hosts available.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by sberry on 01 Jul 2017, 08:57

I was always suspicious of picture hosters such as Photobucket and the like, because I always thought it might be dangerous to become dependent on them. Now it seems that this was not just paranoia.
My solution is to upload all pics I want to show here at my own website. That's a bit tedious and not nearly as elegant as using a service like Photobucket. But the clear advantage is that you retain full control over your pictures and the way you can show them to other people.
sberry  Germany

Posted by MABO on 01 Jul 2017, 09:02

Thanks for your quick reactions.

They are still hosted on Photobucket, and you can actually load them right then and there by right-clicking on them and selecting "open image in new tab" or "open link in new tab" depending on the web browser that you are using. This opens the Photobucket website where the original image is displayed.

that is right. I can see all my pics. But I can not relink them. I can post them again maybe:

TEST TEST

Funny that it works with this picture now :eh:

But all my other pictures, that I have posted, can no longer be seen.

My solution is to upload all pics I want to show here at my own website. That's a bit tedious and not nearly as elegant as using a service like Photobucket. But the clear advantage is that you retain full control over your pictures and the way you can show them to other people.

Good idea, but I can not relink the pics as well.

So my question is: Does anybody know a possibility to unblock or relink the pics posted here without paying such a great amount of money?
MABO  Europe

Posted by Paul on 01 Jul 2017, 09:12

MABO wrote:And in case of changing the host: Is there a possibility to exchange the links for the pictures. I think this can only be done by Moderators, which is impossible for them to do so for all the pics.

It´s Impossible for mods or admin to Exchange links etc it for any pics that are Held on a Picture Hosting Service if that host is blocking the link codes.
To have the pics hosted here would mean the Forum being hosted on a private Server..expensive to do.

Elsewhere on the web the Consensus seems to be wait and see. There is growing demands on social media for FB to drop this cynical Marketing idea so maybe the links will be re-instated.
Paul  China

Posted by MABO on 01 Jul 2017, 09:39

Hello Paul,

I am not quiet sure, but I have no ohter possibility at the moment than wait and see.

And it is sure that no mod here could exchange or relink anything! No discussion this has to be solved by the members.
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by FredG on 01 Jul 2017, 12:11

By the time you get your photos back they will probably have Stockholm Syndrome. :eh:
  • Graeme likes this post.   •  
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by mickey mouse on 01 Jul 2017, 13:17

I have no problems with photobucket. Mine are still visable.
mickey mouse  Netherlands

Posted by Taipeh on 01 Jul 2017, 13:35

where do you have this? - mine are also not visisable.
start to upload on a German Service.

Ciao Michael
  • Hellboy likes this post.   •  
Taipeh  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Jul 2017, 15:01

They Froze my Account preventing access to my pictures last November.
That was when they pulled the plug on the whole world for 3 days.

They`ve often spammed me since then with jokes like the one below.

$400.00 a year is a good deal according to my Photobucket e-mail offer today with a $10.00 off voucher !
They can go whistle in the wind. My wallet is staying shut. :mrgreen: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 01 Jul 2017, 15:51

All my photos hosted on Photobucket are (still) visible (to me). :eh: :eh: :eh:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Paul on 01 Jul 2017, 16:28

Tinypic are no better. The below pic was originally of Airfix washingtons army but the link has changed. The pic Showed up as the one below on the blog but in the edit form of the post it Shows as the original airfix bods.
Solution. I copied the pic to my PC then uploaded it to Google account.

I hope that Somewhere there´s a make up site/Forum/ blog with a Picture of washingtons army :-D
Paul  China

Posted by Bluefalchion on 01 Jul 2017, 21:25

My photobucket pics are still displaying properly, at least to me. Maybe this is a hack?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Paul on 02 Jul 2017, 10:23

It´s no hack. PB will get around to all at some Point
http://photobucket.com/pricing
What subscription do I need for 3rd party hosting?

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us ... y-hosting-
Put "Photobucket no longer supports 3rd-party hosting for free" into a web search and there´s no end of Forums complaining and giving advice on ways around getting your pics hosted elsewhere.

My account has been restricted due to 3rd party hosting. Are my photos safe?
http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us ... otos-safe-
Paul  China

Posted by MABO on 02 Jul 2017, 13:39

Thanks, Paul, for spotlighting this. So we lost a lot of pics here in this forum.
MABO  Europe

Posted by FredG on 02 Jul 2017, 15:07

They're not totally lost. We just have to right click and open in a new tab (Chrome). A nuisance but not a total disaster. :yeah:

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that in Microsoft edge.

Edit. I was looking at the Ligny photos and some do open in a new tab in Edge but others do not. At the moment I'm thinking it's the original post that gives the open in new tab option.
One I opened then appeared in the text as was normal previously.
FredG  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Hellboy on 02 Jul 2017, 15:24

I am also affected by the change at 'photobucket'. My pictures are not displayed here in the forum. :( What now?

I fear other providers will follow the example of 'photobucket'. Everyone has equal worries ... costs and hardly any revenue.

I do not want to experience it again. That is why I am now planning my own domain with appropriate space. Then I can refer in my posts here in the forum to the pictures in my own memory. I'm just checking it out. The costs for this are manageable. :yeah: Currently planned storage size 50 GB. So the plan. Maybe not only for my pictures!?!? I have to look closely at this. We will see....

But the one question torments me. In some circumstances an administrator here in the forum can answer this question. What do we do with the old posts? :( At the moment, it is not possible to edit old posts later. Will it be possible - if only for a short time - to update image links in old posts? So links from 'photobucket' to new memory locations change? Please check if this is possible. If a conversion of the old posts are not possible, these are probably lost. Who should look at it, if no pictures are available ???? Nobody! That would be very bad. I am full of hope that it will be somehow possible !!!!!! Please please check all possibilities.
  • Cryns likes this post.   •  
Hellboy  Germany

Posted by mickey mouse on 02 Jul 2017, 15:39

Hellboy wrote:But the one question torments me. In some circumstances an administrator here in the forum can answer this question. What do we do with the old posts? :( At the moment, it is not possible to edit old posts later. Will it be possible - if only for a short time - to update image links in old posts? So links from 'photobucket' to new memory locations change? Please check if this is possible.

I think that the best way is to ask a mod. by pm to open the topics you want and tell them you want to change links, or what ever you want to change for.

Posted by Hellboy on 02 Jul 2017, 15:57

mickey mouse wrote:I think that the best way is to ask a mod. by pm to open the topics you want and tell them you want to change links, or what ever you want to change for.

This will be too much work for the administrators. This is not going to happen. Look again by the posts. There are a lot of users affected. It must be affected countless posts. We must all help with the conversion. Best each user his own posts. Otherwise the change will probably not go .... :(
Hellboy  Germany

Posted by mickey mouse on 02 Jul 2017, 15:59

Hellboy wrote:
This will be too much work for the administrators. This is not going to happen. Look again by the posts. There are a lot of users affected. It must be affected countless posts. We must all help with the conversion. Best each user his own posts. Otherwise the change will probably not go .... :(

Or ask Benno to let it open for a period of time. Problem solved, i think.

Next page

Return to Officers Mess