Gallery

Dinosaurs and other creatures in 1/72

Posted by sberry on 06 Jun 2017, 07:51

They all look very nice!
Have you ever considered to create a larger diorama, involving a number of these creatures together? I would love to see such a scene! The vegetation might be some challenge, though.
sberry  Germany

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 08 Jun 2017, 23:46

The beast, which is only outnumbered by Spinosaurus:

Giganotosaurus carolinii, 1/72, David Krentz, Shapeways (WSF)
Unfortunately its only avaiable in WSF-(white strong flexible). Forget about sanding, it won't work.
Fortunately the details are prominent enough to paint them in a reasonable way. But FUD (frosted ultra detail) would be of course much better.
Paint-reference is the African wild dog (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_wild_dog)

@sberry: There are only a few dinos which could be placed together, because they must match in place and time. But I have no space for a dio like this. My Afrovenator/Jaobaria and soon Allosaurus/Stegosaurus diorama are problematic to place them on exhibition. Usally I sort them like a evolution tree with bones as branch. But meanwhile the network is so dense, that I need to present them by families. May be I will place Allosaurus on a single standard mini-dio, and use the base for my in bulit Giraffatitan.
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by Ben90 on 09 Jun 2017, 12:24

Looks really nice. Taking the wild dog as reference was a great idea.
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Carlos on 11 Jun 2017, 04:09

Good work, nice for the eyes.
Very good painted job.
I had the opportunity to see the bones (the museum of "Villa el Chocon" is very nice, and have many pieces, I still have T-shirt from it :-D ) . The history of the discovery of these creature and his discoverer is very intersting too.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 18 Jun 2017, 22:26

Yes, a time ago You had some freaky beasts in the backyards of Argentinia. :-)

Next one:
Troodon formosus, 1/72, Manuel Bejarano (Shapeways, FUD)
Once again a small and nice dinosaur from Sen. Bejarano, printed by Shapeways.
Troodon was probably omnivor (all-eater), so I decided to paint it like a Scarlet ibis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_ibis) with some blue as contrast.

MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by sberry on 19 Jun 2017, 09:31

Cute!
sberry  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Wiking on 19 Jun 2017, 15:32

Sberry wrote:
Cute!

... is the beginning of each Jurassic Park ...

@MixvsMinimax
I hope that you have build a great wall for your well paint Animals. :cowboy:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 21 Jun 2017, 22:16

@Sberry: It's only just a thin layer of glass wich seperates my beasts from the world....

Next ones:
Pteranodon longiceps/ steinbergi, female, 1/72, Mixvs Minimax. Model was built OOB. The kit contains seperate crests for a male P. steinbergi and P. longiceps (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteranodon). The wing-skin is thin like paper. Lower beak, tounge and feets have to be assembled. Paintjob-reference: Albatros ((https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albatrosse) and Blue-footed booby (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-footed_booby)

and:

Herrerasaurus ischigualastensis, 1/72, Manuel Bejarano ,Shapeways, FUD. Paintjob-reference: Clouded Leopard (Nebelparder) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clouded_leopard)

MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by Susofrick on 22 Jun 2017, 07:19

Really love the colours on your figures! Making the past more alive.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 30 Jun 2017, 19:47

@Susofrick: merci! I am buisy to paint one of the next ones (Yangchuanosaurus) like a lion.

Furthermore I am working on my biggest dino model: Giraffatitan brancai. Formerly known as Brachiosaurus.
Its nearly relaxing to work on areas larger than 25mm². Supersaurus is also on my screen and will be 50cm long. My Spinosaurus from Manuel Bajarano is also in the garage and is elongated from 18 to 22cm.

Giraffatitan
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by Ben90 on 30 Jun 2017, 21:07

Hope to see all these painted, soon :-)
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 01 Jul 2017, 20:59

@Ben90: Spinosaurus will be "sooner" than Giraffatitan and at least Supersaurus. Before them some smaler guys will posted.
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by Rahan on 03 Jul 2017, 19:19

These are fantastic!
Rahan  Hungary

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 28 Jul 2017, 00:02

@Rahan: I know. :-)

And once again a new "beast" has left my production garage.

Protoceratops andrewsi, 1/72, Mixvs Minimax, is watching its nest.
Its again a small 2-parts kit. One base (with casted legs) and the body.
Paintjob-reference is the Springbok (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springbok).
BTW, this kind of camo (bright downside, sand/brown upside with contrast-stripe between) seems to be witespread in the recent fauna.

MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by sberry on 28 Jul 2017, 09:17

I really like your color schemes!
I'm just reading "Dinosaurs" by Fastovsky and Weishampel. On p. 99 they say: "The murky crocodile-green of your parents' dinosaurs is a thing of the past: dinosaurs were colorful, brightly patterned animals." Every painted model you are presenting here is a great illustration of this concept.
sberry  Germany

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 29 Jul 2017, 05:57

Thankeschön.
"Dinosaurs" by Fastovsky and Weishampel seems to be an interesting book and maybe similar to my "The complete dinosaur" by Farlow & Brett-Surmann.
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by sberry on 01 Aug 2017, 09:18

I think with The Complete Dinosaur you have already the, yes, most complete book on the subject available (I haven’t bought it yet, because of the price, but I suppose it is a must-have). By comparison, Fastovsky & Weishampel have written a sort of introductory Dinosaurs 101, with a stong focus on the phylogenetic relations. If you are interested in this aspect, you might have a look at their book.
sberry  Germany

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 01 Aug 2017, 15:50

mmmhm...I need phylogenetic information for my kits, because I attach the family tree on the downside of the lid of the kit.
My "Complete Dinosaur" edition is from 1997. I already thought about to buy a new edition, but 90,- €....
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Posted by sberry on 05 Aug 2017, 10:21

Yesterday, I came across this story here about the camouflage pattern in a herbivore dinosaur (you can download the pdf for free). Fascinating, in particular figure 4 which sort of summarizes the story!
And, if the analogy to mammals holds, one might expect that at least the large sauropods might be of a rather dull coloring, like elephants today.
sberry  Germany

Posted by MixvsMinimax on 06 Aug 2017, 21:41

Thanks for the link!!! That is what I already assumed. As bigger an animal is, the camo gets unicolour, or just grey. It's a bit a disappointing view to the future painting of my Sauropods, but on the other hand is grey a good colour to work with.
The countershading, as mentioned in the article, shows me, that I am at least not on the wrong way with my dino-camo.
MixvsMinimax  Germany

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery