Officers Mess

So our stashes aren't that big after all

Posted by FredG on 04 May 2017, 17:41

Now this is a stash, I'll have to make sure MrsG sees this. I still think Fiddles Wood is something like it though. What say you BB?

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBACxcQ?m=en-gb
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 04 May 2017, 21:05

I want a bigger house! :mrgreen:

Great find Fred! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 05 May 2017, 07:50

And he paints too!!! Great find!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 May 2017, 23:21

Well FredG,thanks for posting it interested me greatly.
I saw a couple of Items in his collection that I have in mine. The hollow cast lead metal Tramp Pre WWII, i have a few,and an old Puppet too.

Many years ago while buying books I met a guy who had been into making puppets for early 1960`s TV children`s hour program`s on Anglia Television,and I acquired his Poppet Elephant in 1989 from one TV production of 1959.That was the year Anglia Television started.
Having had experience in making Puppets myself I really appreciated all the work done in carved out Coconut. Although painted it still hangs in one corner of our bedroom from its strings.

We all need extra space.

In the video that guys collection is massive, and the things are very beautiful to the eye as it is on permanent display behind glass. A luxury I would like. However no room means that option is out.
I have a garage,but that is an unusable 17 foot by 10 foot dead space built into the house I dare not use, because it was broken into a few years back and my stuff smashed up and other stuff stolen. I had a small workshop in there too,however that was moved into the house, and what was left of my model railway layout moved upstairs and into our largest bedroom. A Victim of Scum Bags? Yes most certainly. :(

Collecting toys and toy figures is a something clear cool and crazy that i like to do. My meger collection is heavily insured against fire and thieft, but under insured because I just add and add to it constantly.

Mrs B a few days ago asked me," Do you realise how much you spent on toy figures in April?"___" I do." I replied._________ "£ 1.454", Mrs B, remarked.__________ " Really", I replied,"I had thought it to be more."
I had acquired someones entire collection of toy figures,because i could not bear to see them all split up for sale on E Bay.The 121 Britains figures worth between £6.00 and £12 each are now safe in my collection. Well that is how I see it.
Upon the subject matter of cost we laughed together as Mrs B, realise that I am a lost cause, but there is no contention in our Fiddle Wood home. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 06 May 2017, 08:43

Your collection seems to be unbelievable, Paul. In my eyes everybody, who is addicted to collection toy soldiers, must be jealous.

At the moment I am a little bit filled up and for me - having a big collection as well - it is sedative to see that the "big" producers are slowing downs their production e.g. HäT, or have disappeared from the 1/72 marked like Revell or Italeri.
Zvezda has dissappeard as well, but this makes me sad as their bigger boxes are high end stuff in "die casting dimensons".

But I am filled up a little because I have not much time to deal with the hobby - which is a daily life problem for most of us - and I have problems to store my collection as well. (Our neigbours are so kind to rent us a room in the cellar they did not need and there I can store most of my stuff.)

So actually I am not buying that much and asking myself: "Maybe you should slow down, you can not paint all the figures you have" (Thoughts everybody knows - I guess.)
But when buying the next set of figures or the next box from Airfix, I assure myself with the hope, that there will be other periods in my life and I have plenty of time. In this bright future I will be happy that I have bought a set of Strelets marching Polish Infantry when it was published and have not ebay as last option, where I have to pay lots of money for a rare set from past times.

And to be honest there are so many good and interesting sets, especially from smaller hobby companies. So I could not resist. :oops:
But I am far away from being able to spend such a great amount of money like you delineated. :shock:
On the other hand I think Mrs.B. will agree with me: It is better to collect toy soldiers for some buggs every month, than drinking beer for the same amount of money. :mrgreen:

And finally I hope, that some day my son may be interested in the collection of his father. If not, I have to find a propper place for the tons of plastic and resin I have collected. But before I can upgrate it by painting some more. ;-)
MABO  Europe

Posted by FredG on 06 May 2017, 08:47

I'm surprised you've not bricked up the garage door BB. Although I can imagine you designing some contraption a la Wilfred Makepeace Lunn that could deter would be scum bags. :yeah:
FredG  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by FredG on 06 May 2017, 11:01

Space saving courtesy of Heath Robinson

FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 May 2017, 15:34

I must admit I mainly buy old 1960`s style toy figures. It just gives me pleasure to do so The Greeks & Trojans ,I recently bought are Britains, then I have The Harald & Britains, and the Harald figures. All are the same figures but different bases. So the three types for the period 1954 right up to 1972 is covered concerning all these toy figures.

FredG, I especially like the cartoons you placed. As for the garage we have considered turning it into another bedroom, but my work benches, wood stores with metal ladders and bikes all chained to the wall and my old bench drill is still in there. Along with my hand made Long Bow Collection, and a boobytrap wired up crossbow, and fearsome Spiders of which there are many. So mainly it comes in useful for garden maintenance ,and twice a year My Mrs B,is up high ladders keeping the ivy in check on the house walls,with a garden hoe and clippers. It is a magical sight the Fiddle Wood,Birds and Squirrels and I enjoy watching. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Officers Mess