Officers Mess

What else are y'all up to?

Posted by efb on 08 Nov 2007, 22:55

I've been reading a lot y'all's posts, and admiring your handiwork, on the Hat forum for quite a while now...and I'm sure I'll be doing the same here (especially with all the pictures on this site :thumbup: ).

Maybe it's heretical to suggest such a thing but, what other interests do you have?

I have a couple of History degrees and buy a lot of books but, most of those aren't that far removed from this hobby so, that doesn't really count.

As for other interests...I love to play golf. I collect records and I live for the four months out of the year when Southeastern Conference Football is played. I'm a Gator fan.

Oh, and bourbon...if that can rightly be called a hobby.

What about y'all?
efb  

Posted by Adam on 09 Nov 2007, 00:03

I too have a 1st class honours in Archaeology and history, and work as an Archaeological Illsutrator at OAN in the U.K. In my spare time I tend to play guitar (have a gibson Les Paul and Fender telecaster) and do history based stuff, drink beer with my friends, and I am a 10th century reenactor (viking age) I maintain a viking house in York (not the Jorvik centre). I also love computer games, make things I my garage/workshop (which is also the wargames room) and Love watching DVD's (500+ now and a big flat LCD TV)

thanks fully the mrs shares some of the hobbies and is happy to go and do something else whilst i do the rest!
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Benno on 09 Nov 2007, 00:04

I'm following the study of Applied Arts & Technology (webdesign, video editing, marketing, advertising etc) in Enschede, 20 kilometers from Almelo.

Also, I like to watch films, my three favourite films are Forrest Gump, Amelie and A Good Year.

When the weather allows it I go mountainbiking in a hilly part near here (the low countries aren't flat everywhere ;-) ).

Another hobby of mine is web design and video editing. You might have seen the film of Hans Slagers Waterloo diorama on the Lingen 2007 page in the gallery. I have to admit I'm not very good at it, hopefully this gets better in a few years. As for web design, just see the Benno's Figures website. I've built it completely, no templates or whatsoever. Compared to the first version of the website, that went online almost exactly two years ago, the new one has improved a lot.

Last but not least, I love hanging out with my friends. :beer: They find the figures I paint way to small and would never start this hobby haha. ;-)

Thanks for your contributions efb. :thumbup: Hopefully many more will post their pictures on the forum. :-)
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by efb on 09 Nov 2007, 00:34

What do you like to play on gi-tar adam?

Benno Forrest is "from" my neck of the woods and, if I remember correctly, he first gained notoriety playing for Bear Bryant at Alabama...at least in the book.

Bear Bryant is widely considered to be the greatest college football coach ever and the Alabama Crimson Tide is still widely considered to be the "bell-cow" of the Southeastern Conference (12 National Championships).
efb  

Posted by Benno on 09 Nov 2007, 02:20

efb wrote:Benno Forrest is "from" my neck of the woods and, if I remember correctly, he first gained notoriety playing for Bear Bryant at Alabama...at least in the book.

Bear Bryant is widely considered to be the greatest college football coach ever and the Alabama Crimson Tide is still widely considered to be the "bell-cow" of the Southeastern Conference (12 National Championships).

I didn't knew that. ;-) What does "bell-cow" mean btw?

adamparsons wrote:Love watching DVD's (500+ now and a big flat LCD TV)

Adam, we have around 500 DVD's here as well, with a big plasma and home cinema set. Watching the battle scenes Master & Commander is like you're in the middle of it.
Do you have some pictures of you in your re-enactment outfit? :viking:
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by efb on 09 Nov 2007, 02:32

I guess standard bearer would be an equivalent to bell cow.

I think there's a scene in Forest Gump that occurs on Auburn University's campus. Auburn and Alabama are absolute sworn enemies. It's one of the biggest rivalries in all of US sports. The two schools are only about 150 miles apart in Alabama.

I'm partial to samuri and yakuza movies.
efb  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by rpardo on 09 Nov 2007, 11:58

Hi
I tech Analytical Chemistry at the University of Valladolid (Spain) and my research is on environmental topics. I like science fiction, rock music (the 80's are my favourites), mountain trekking.... and women ;-)
Rafa
rpardo  Spain

Posted by Adam on 09 Nov 2007, 13:27

On guitar alsort- from hard rock to really gay teeny pop!

Namely- Manic Street Preachers, System of a Down, Foo Fighters, but also Red Hot chillis, McFLy (teeny pop), Guns and Roses, Direstraits, Grren Day, sexPsitols, Tenacious D, Madness, and Kate Rusby (folk), quite like the Eagles too. All over the place me! :lol:

I'll post a few pics tonight if you like of the reenactment gubbins
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by smokinprice on 10 Nov 2007, 03:45

My favorite time period centers around the Napoleonic Wars however, I do build a lot of 1/35 WWII Armour. During the warmer months, I do a lot of fly fishing and some attempts at fly tying. My other hobbies include my salt water reef tank and reading. Right now I am back in school trying to finish my history degree. Work takes up a lot of my time. I am also a budding archaeologist for Adam. I have been on a few digs now and when I retire I might choose that as my next career.
smokinprice  United States of America

Posted by Danny VH on 10 Nov 2007, 10:29

My DVD collection is a little bit smaller but it is growing every week. It's getting a real addiction I'm afraid.
I have to admit my biggest passion is music,even more than painting figures. After playing 20 years in several kind of punk,rock,metal, nu-metal or popbands my bassguitar is retired recently. 12 years ago I started to study Eastern percussion. My main instrument is the Tabla (India) but also Tombak (Persia),framedrum and I am one of the founding members of the only Balinese gamelan orchestra in Belgium. This must sound very exotic to the most of you,I guess. :)

oh yes,and I support my local football club RFC Cappellen. I also love icehockey. It is my dream to watch a game of my favourite NHL team Buffalo Sabres.
Danny VH  Belgium

Posted by Adam on 12 Nov 2007, 09:48

Nice to hear what varied interests you all have!

Next year we will probably branch out into Napoleonic and Tudor reenacting, not the march around firing etc, but occupying a brick farmhouse at the viking centre we go to (its actually multiperiod) and chalking it up as an occupied farmhouse in the spanish peninsula!

I'll have to post some pictures and rafa can tell me if we are getting the ambience right... well as close and west yorkshire can get to spain anyway!
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by rpardo on 12 Nov 2007, 15:12

I'll do! :thumbup:
However, remember that Spain has many different climates.... sunny and warm in the center-south and rainy in the north.... and the farmhouses are thus very different... In what zone are you thinking?
Rafa
rpardo  Spain

Posted by Adam on 13 Nov 2007, 10:50

I'll have to send you some pics next year, then you can say: it looks more like here-

then again, you'll more likely say: it looks like..... Yorkshire.. sorry! :lol:
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Siegfried on 25 Nov 2007, 15:38

well, a late repy:)

I'm still in school, planning to studdy history at the uni next year. Besides (military) history I'm very much intereseted in fine Arts (middle ages - romantic period) Literature, poetry and music (choir, baroque, some romantic, and 'classics' like Sinatra, Monro, Bessy, Williams, Aznavour, etc. )

Cheers,

Christiaan
Siegfried  

Posted by Susofrick on 26 Mar 2008, 16:25

A VERY old thread, but I like this sort of things. I'm reading, playing the guitar (there's a MySpace-site with my band if anyone is interested), walking the dog, be with the missus and unfortunately not much time for the li'l guys. Used to work in the local blues association and writing articles, arrange concerts, but family life (not a big one) became more important so I quit 2000 after 15 years. A LOT of my life is music and not only blues, started with punk 1977 and got interested in other music as well through the years. Sometimes I think I could write a book or a short story, but I only get started and never get to the end. Friends are important, but I don't know anyone that's ever been interested in those li'l guys. A little about me (and the avatar? I was devastated when Pete Duel died, but I came over it some 35 years ago). :-D
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 26 Mar 2008, 16:26

A VERY old thread, but I like this sort of things. I'm reading, playing the guitar (there's a MySpace-site with my band if anyone is interested), walking the dog, be with the missus and unfortunately not much time for the li'l guys. Used to work in the local blues association and writing articles, arrange concerts, but family life (not a big one) became more important so I quit 2000 after 15 years. A LOT of my life is music and not only blues, started with punk 1977 and got interested in other music as well through the years. Sometimes I think I could write a book or a short story, but I only get started and never get to the end. Friends are important, but I don't know anyone that's ever been interested in those li'l guys. A little about me (and the avatar? I was devastated when Pete Duel died, but I came over it some 35 years ago). :-D
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by chen on 26 Mar 2008, 18:27

I'm so envious to see almost all of you can play some instruments. I love music, but can'y play any of those instruments. :( I'm now a third-year student in the national institut of applied sciences (INSA) of Lyon, studying civil engineering and city plan. I should say, 3 years of stay in this awful place has taught me how important music could be.

I also love films. In my opinion, all films can be sorted into 3 categories: 1st, those I watch when I take meals; 2nd, those I watch because there are historical scenes which serve as inspirations for my figure painting; 3rd, those I could really enjoy and by which I could be touched. In the last 3 years some of my favorate films are:
'A one and a two' - Edward Yang ( director from Taiwan),
'life is a miracle' - Kustrica
'Before the rain' - Manchevski (young macedonian director)
'Talk to her' - Almodovar

Besides, I read (or used to read... I don't have much free time now). My teenage (well, I'm still young now ;-) ) is so much changed by Italo Calvino's books "The baron in the trees" and "The invisible cities". Then I admire Eco and Borges. Just before leaving the middle school I was still dreaming of studying literature in the university. But after that I came to France to study applied science. Can't tell why...C'est la vie.
chen  China

Posted by Peter on 26 Mar 2008, 21:01

You all have various interests. Mine are reading (I'm a big fan of Tom Clancy), watching movies (mostly historical, and my favorite is of course Waterloo). I don't play music on instruments (I must think about the neighbours :-D ) but I like to listen to all kinds of it. My job is what you all paint.

And watching websites about Plastic Soldiers, of course!

Greatings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Martin on 26 Mar 2008, 23:27

hi, It is interesting to read, that collectors of 1:72 figures have very different backgrounds and hobbies besides the little men.
Mine: I am in Scouting since I was 9. First a scout, later a leader.
Also in the board of the scoutinggroup as the financial man.
Now my daughter of 8 is member of a scoutinggroup and I am active again as a trainer of the leaders. Scouting in the Netherlands is a bit different as in other countries: groups are mixed; boys and girls together.
In 1995 the Netherlands organized the World Jamboree, and I was the financial man of the organisation. My job now is head of the financial department of 2 companies (in the same holding) working in the installation business: "old fashioned" plumberswork, Central heating, Electrical installations, alarm, airco, roofing etc. Nice work and oa lot of variaty.
Because I have 2 smaller children (5 and 8) I don't find time to watch movies or listen to music. Only when I am painting I listen to the radio.
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Omnidiscombobulated on 27 Mar 2008, 08:39

I don't play any musical instruments either, I'm afraid - though I love music as much as I love films, books and collecting 1:72-scale figures.

I started working life as a lawyer (barrister) in London, got deeply interested in Chinese, came to Taiwan to study, and loved it here so much that I've stayed two decades and have no plans to ever leave. I have a Taiwanese wife and our first child is due to arrive the month after next.

I work for the government, mainly translating speeches from Chinese to English for ministers and other senior officials to deliver to international audiences. I work from home, and try my best to keep the workload down to just a few hours a day so that I can find enough time for all the other important things in life. I'm a keen outdoorsman, love hiking and river-tracing, and try to find time every day to go out and swim in one or other of the lovely mountain streams of which there are so many in this island where extraordinary natural beauty sits cheek-by-jowl with blighted urban ugliness.
Omnidiscombobulated  Taiwan

Next page

Return to Officers Mess