Questions

How to ...

Posted by Wiking on 14 Apr 2017, 08:59

remove the protection paper for decals that stick to the decal surface?

I put the decals into the water. And they leave after around one minute the thick base paper.
All as usual.
After that I see the thin transparent protection paper will not go off.
It stick very well on each other.
I check the whole unused decal sheet and realized that the thin protection paper stick to ALL the decals.

Do you have in the past the same problem? A good solution? Idea?
A useful answer would be a nice help.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 14 Apr 2017, 10:55

Just a lucky guess, maybe that is protective layer of varnish (not a paper)?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by FredG on 14 Apr 2017, 12:00

Back back to my 1/72 Airfix aircraft days the top transparent layer was not removable. If you didn't want to keep the transparent edging it had to be trimmed off
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 14 Apr 2017, 12:12

I would use a hair drying machine from a distance. :oops:
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by stenfalk on 14 Apr 2017, 14:40

Wiking wrote:
After that I see the thin transparent protection paper will not go off.
It stick very well on each other.
I check the whole unused decal sheet and realized that the thin protection paper stick to ALL the decals.

Unfortunately, i don't know exactly what you mean with "protective film" on the decals. Actually there is only there the carrier film, which is however usually larger than the picture. :eh:

Do you have a photo what shows these protective film?

Otherwise, i can only recommend cutting the decal as close to the edge as possible in a way like FredG already said. Use water with a bit vinegar or a softener (e.g. Humbrol Decal Cote 1) to dissolve the paper. Always apply the decal to a glossy surface, if possible use an adhesion improver (e.g. Humbrol Decal Cote 2). Only after these steps use the model to finish with a durable protective lacquer, glossy or matt, as you would like.

When you put decals on matt surfaces, you will always get a gloomy look because under the carrier film collect air bubbles. The technically transparent carrier film around the image then looks dull and becomes clearly visible.

Maybe that was the problem which you mean. If not, try to explain to me again.
stenfalk  Germany

Posted by Wiking on 14 Apr 2017, 15:06

Thank you all for your fast support.

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:
I would use a hair drying machine from a distance. :oops:

Funny but maybe effective idea. :thumbup:

@ stenfalk

Never happen something like that before.
Wiking  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by stenfalk on 14 Apr 2017, 17:02

Oh, it looks bad. This phenomenon is fortunately unknown to me. Did something go wrong during storage? Liquid or heat? But if the method of Kostis is effective, you have at least a little hope.

I would never have come to this magnificent idea. Indeed, once i will ask Kostis what he's doing all yet with the hairdryer.
stenfalk  Germany

Posted by Bramble15 on 14 Apr 2017, 18:33

Not sure there is a fix for this problem. I have differing kits (mostly fringe kits) purchased aftermarket that come with that supposedly protective film almost melted to the decal sheet like in your photo. I had tried almost everything to separate them but in the end the separation damaged the decals. I am not sure but I would speculate that some companies may place the film over the decal sheet before the ink and carrier film have fully cured to the decal paper thereby melding the two together.
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Wiking on 14 Apr 2017, 18:55

Thank you Bramble 15 for your information. I think the same as you have mentioned. :occasion:

Right now I carefully tension up the protection paper use a knife, patience and rub off the paper who stick on.
Do not ask!
The next time I use the hair dryer idea.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by FredG on 14 Apr 2017, 19:35

Now that's something entirely different. Are they really old?
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Wiking on 14 Apr 2017, 20:10

Yes, FredG I think that they are very old. I bought it this year from a private seller. The decals was wrapped in clear plastic. And untouched. I saw it.

I very rarely buy decal sheet. The most kit get decals for several options. Over the years I get a good collection.
Most time I cut ore use unused decals for my build additional. But for a special project I need letters in a size and amount that overstretches my collection.
So I was hunting for letter in black. But the modelling god will let me only find these in grey. Will work too - I thought. ;-)
Wiking  Germany

Return to Questions