Work in Progress

WIP Bennos Figures Forum Great Miniature Figures Parade

Posted by Marvin on 19 Mar 2017, 22:33

Michael Robert wrote:Thanks Beano,

you touch my very problem. I do not have a lot of time. So with the little time remaining I do what I can and sometimes it's bad luck because I take a wrong decision and then regret. This here is an example.
I have always fun though.

Anyway, I will keep you updated
Cheers
Michael

I agree with MABO - the seemed to look perfectly good from the photo :-D (nice details and striped trousers that would have given me a real headache to achieve as well as that) but we are often our own toughest critic. Good luck with the conversion - we're all cheering you on! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Mar 2017, 08:42

I think you can send these! I have seen what I'm going to send and if you see a big white box in the parade you'll know my figures are in it!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Mar 2017, 12:52

A Box Parade!____________ That`s a good idea Gunnar.
Just sent in flat packed to Jan, who will then quickly assemble them for presentation at BOXZ 2017!
:mrgreen: " Sounds like a plan."

The rules have been relaxed,and any number can be sent in.
However each must be a recycled cardboard box.

My Donation one of 200 to be sent.

Come rain or snow or shine `BOXZ 2017,' to be held for the very first time in Peters,back garden.
Remco,will be arranging BOXZ T Shirts for sale .
:sst: " that will arrive in recycled boxes."
:coffee: " The plan is to have fun, Fly Tipping Peters Garden." :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Mar 2017, 16:45

A Dark rainy day today, but perfectly set into place for painting and varnishing,reading comics, and typing this.

Today I paint the two flags,they being The Regimental Colours and their ornate Union Flag.
This is one of the last pieces of the painting needed on this topic,and I left this till last along with the Regimental Drums seen in the photograph above.

Herein lies a problem, the drums with pegs fit the holes very loosely in the figures. They wobble about and yes drop out. I cannot use supper glue it will melt the paint off each toy figure destined for a over the hill and far away display. Therefore those pesky drums will have to be set into a resin type Waterproof P V A Glue. The drums will not be yellow as seen above,but red white and blue,and of course there is no detail inscribed to help guide little o`ll me. However it is not all gloom or doom,and there is a silver lining, my yard brush has worn down perfectly to three and a half bristles for finer stylish work like this.
The small drums look more,like old oil drums especially as they are sporting a moulding seem line.
All moulded pattern wise to accommodate a peg that does not fit a cleverly designed larger hole.
Which is an AIRFIX 68 year old debacle! :eh: :eh:

All the other figures are finished but having had problems with paint pinging of riffle bayonets I have varnished all the toy town figures in Gloss Cote.

They will be varnished after a photo shoot,with a Matt Cote Varnish,so do not be concerned Jan.
I want photographs for my record files of both types of varnish. Hopefully all the work should be done and dusted by the end of this week. So I am sorry Jan, for any delay.

This is the way I varnished my Prussains and other toy figures for the Grand Parade. It saves not only space but a little pick up jostling time too. I paint varnish all on one side turn it over an complete the other side. Quirky but proved to be a good system 4 me. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by gbvarese on 21 Mar 2017, 15:57

Dear Mabo,

As per your request, I submit my contribution to the Parade, consisting of elements of the 20th Austrian infantry regiment of the Napoleonic period. They will be ready soon. The flagstaff is a little bit oversized. Can it be acceptable as it is?

I also include the mounted officer, that will not take part in the Parade.

Thanks a lot . Giovanni.

gbvarese  Italy

Posted by MABO on 21 Mar 2017, 17:25

Of course this is acceptable. Very nice figures and the flagstaff is in the way you have made it. I am looking forward to have them here. And please hold the wonderful officer, because I will not use him as this is a parade. ;-)

Just one thing. You could have add your post to the existing WIP Topic. Then there is only one for the GB.

Dear Moderators, could you move this post in the other topic, please? Thanks in advance!
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by gbvarese on 21 Mar 2017, 19:55

Dear Mabo,

Thanks for your immediate answer.

I've tried to include my post to the existing WIP topic, but unsuccessfully. As you already kindly requested, I would be grateful with the Moderator, if he/she could do it for me.

Let me have the address where I have to send the finished soldiers.

Last question: what do you mean with GB?

Best regards

Giovanni.
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by Dad's Army on 21 Mar 2017, 20:57

MOD: post moved to the right topic

GB means Group Build, and nice work Giovanni!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 21 Mar 2017, 23:04

Thanks, Remco!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Susofrick on 22 Mar 2017, 09:44

... they're a long way from home
They're a long way from Tipperary
or where ever they come from

Found these oldies. Some white from the 80s, some yellow from the early 70s. Think I have four boxes, but only found twelve marching figures! :( Haven't decided if I should send them or keep them. I won't repaint them if I'm to send them.

Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by MABO on 22 Mar 2017, 12:50

They would fit to Marvins Brits, but I would not send them, if you are emotionely attached, because they are connected with good old memories...
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Mar 2017, 15:31

Having an analytical mind, this was the only way I could reason out the complicated pattern of The UNION FLAG! when it folds without a breeze to send it a fluttering.

It bugged me and I soon realised the Flag Pose,was wrong and that no real flag would hang resembling that piece of plastic.

I softened the sketch I had made by screwing it up lots of times,and stuck it on a paint brush handle.
The first side on view.

The other side and how it natural folded, :-D because it was fixed to the wooden handle! :-D

I realise this action might well raise many smiles or even ponderments of why ?
but I just had to solve this problem.
Showing a relaxed flag it hung down and acted as a real one would,giving me clear insight of what colours go where. I will paint the plastic flag even though it is wrong because I want to present a complete original set and not one of conversions.

I expect you lot are getting tired of my red white and blue? However they are off the tins,awaiting a few coats of matt varnish . The Bands Brass Section is all as seen,but the 15 Drummers will soon be added to this Marching Guards Band. Will ship the Regiment out next week sometime. Nearing the end now and its been a long haul,facing many a problem but solving them one at a time. I hope to show them completely finish in the other section. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by MABO on 22 Mar 2017, 21:04

Hello Paul,

what a great Parade. I am also preparing the theater to present them :winky: :winky: :winky:
MABO  Europe

Posted by Susofrick on 23 Mar 2017, 09:09

Wow! That's a GREAT parade!!! Paul, you are a monster! Wait, is it master? Bah, doesn't matter!

Yesterday I took a look in the hobbyroom and right under the ceiling (yes, about 3,70 meters up) I saw two suspicious boxes. So I took the ladder and went for them. The figures inside looked right, but not all the grenadiers look like Airfix. Very strange, since I haven't bought ACTA's set. Could be som Nappie Austrians painted as brits. Haven't opened the box yet, but if the figures are painted acceptable there will be some British Grenadiers in Jan's parade! No nostalgia with these guys, actually. Rather frustration with the white ones.

Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Marvin on 23 Mar 2017, 20:00

Beano Boy wrote:I expect you lot are getting tired of my red white and blue? BB

Not one jot! What a terrific sight! Worth the effort and the late nights many times over I'd say. Got to admire your dogged determination to work out the flag folds. :-D

And if there's one thing better than all those red coats of BBs, Konrad's, MABO's and mine - it's even more red coats, Gunnar! :mrgreen: :yeah:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 23 Mar 2017, 20:55

;-)
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Mar 2017, 09:43

Regimental Colours and The Regimental Union Flag

The Union Flag

A Tip for painting these, is paint the flag white on both sides.
Find the four corners and bring the thin red line toward the centre point. Then from the centre point bring down the widest red strip to the bottom allowing for the slight angle.
Then fill in with the blue,but leave white around the edges.
All the edges have yellow and gold trim. I added the gold onto the yellow while the yellow was still wet.
Job done and well Dusted!

The Regimental Colours.

Orange,Yellow & Gold, on both sides,all worked in when all was wet.
Gold dotted onto the Battle Honors. Job Done. :-D
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Mar 2017, 10:02

As you see the Flag solving was quite easy in the end,so easy I painted up another three for my collection along with another 42 toy soldiers that upon seeing those flags did start a brawl to decide which two would be first to carry them to the top of Pen Y Fan Brecon Beacons !

I am having trouble sticking the drums to the figures,a most frustrating thing ever. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 24 Mar 2017, 12:51

I will try to open the box tomorrow morning. And if the marching guys are like the rest I'll send them! :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by MABO on 24 Mar 2017, 15:58

Beano Boy wrote:Image

Regimental Colours and The Regimental Union Flag

Job Done. :-D

F..ing great, Paul. Looks really good. :shock:
MABO  Europe

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress