Work in Progress

From the Middle Ages to Greece during WW1

Posted by dykio on 15 Mar 2017, 07:56

Dear Kostis,

I am not very active any more in giving replies on posts but i just had to react on this tread. This is so brilliant, your models are absulutely top, the painting fantastic and the scenery brilliant.

So a big applause to a real master :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Edwardian on 15 Mar 2017, 10:06

I have very much enjoyed catching up with this beautiful modelling.

I keep thinking it's 1/35th, not 1/72nd, which shows the skill, precision and level of detail you have achieved.

The painting is so subtle and natural.
Edwardian  United Kingdom

Posted by Cryns on 15 Mar 2017, 11:25

So yesterday my wife had birthday and the first thing I showed her, while still in the bed, after she woke up and I made her a cup of coffee, was a close insert of your first picture, so the edges of the diorama were not visible. I told her she was looking at a future holiday destination. She looked and looked. And when I took away the picture from her, she said: 'I was not finished looking yet!' So I gave her back the image on my laptop and then she said: 'There is something strange with the brown ground. Thats not real.' And then she only realized all of it is just a few centimeters high.

I hope this is the best compliment I could give you today.
My congratulations with your work Kostis.

Some questions: will the wire along the picket line be there to keep animals away from the living area?
The semi-circular floor at the right side of the pictures, is that a harvesting floor? Or a platform for the mule to propel a grain mill?
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Edwardian on 15 Mar 2017, 11:40

Mr. Cryns wrote:So yesterday my wife had birthday and the first thing I showed her, while still in the bed, after she woke up and I made her a cup of coffee, was a close insert of your first picture, so the edges of the diorama were not visible. I told her she was looking at a future holiday destination. She looked and looked. And when I took away the picture from her, she said: 'I was not finished looking yet!' So I gave her back the image on my laptop and then she said: 'There is something strange with the brown ground. Thats not real.' And then she only realized all of it is just a few centimeters high.

I hope this is the best compliment I could give you today.
My congratulations with your work Kostis.

Some questions: will the wire along the picket line be there to keep animals away from the living area?
The semi-circular floor at the right side of the pictures, is that a harvesting floor? Or a platform for the mule to propel a grain mill?

A great way to test the realism of a model, and brave and noble of you to risk divorce just to do so!

If I had pulled that trick on my Missus ..... !!!

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 15 Mar 2017, 13:22

Dear friends thank you for the touching comments! :notworthy:
Mr. Cryns the best compliment you gave me is that we'll have the chance to talk about our hobby from close, soon. :-D :-D :-D
Yes the wire fence is there for keeping animals in their area.
And the semi circular area is the harvesting floor. The floor was stones joined firmly as possible, or even cement.
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Edwardian on 15 Mar 2017, 14:03

Kostis Ornerakis wrote: the semi circular area is the harvesting floor. The floor was stones joined firmly as possible, or even cement.

This I take to be an area for hand threshing - aka "thrashing" - harvested cereal crops - I think you mentioned it was threshing circle.

As I am sure many will know, traditionally in England threshing wheat (or, I imagine, barley) - to separate the seed from its coating (known as "chaff") was undertaken by hand on a barn floor at the entrance because there the breeze would carry away the lighter chaff - hence the term "threshold" to describe the point of crossing into a building.

So, I imagine that this is how the circular area was used - what cereal crop(s) would have been threshed there?

From the 1850s in England, steam-powered threshing or thrashing machines were employed to do the job. Threshing machines were loaded with the cut crop from the top, and separated it into the stalks (straw), the wheat seed and the chaff. They were belt-driven by traction engines.

This pretty much continued until the Combine Harvester combined this process with cutting or harvesting the crop.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 15 Mar 2017, 18:53

Dear Edwardian you are right! The Greek work is αλώνι ( aloni ).
http://content-mcdn.ethnos.gr/filesyste ... e13145.jpg
http://arcadia.ceid.upatras.gr/tragoudi ... os/547.jpg
It could be a pole in the center:
http://agiorgitatsi.gr/sites/default/fi ... k=x1OXHhim
After finishing they separate chaff from wheat or barley this way:
http://sainia.gr/images/1_st_class/glws ... img463.jpg
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Edwardian on 15 Mar 2017, 20:34

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:Dear Edwardian you are right! The Greek work is αλώνι ( aloni ).
http://content-mcdn.ethnos.gr/filesyste ... e13145.jpg
http://arcadia.ceid.upatras.gr/tragoudi ... os/547.jpg
It could be a pole in the center:
http://agiorgitatsi.gr/sites/default/fi ... k=x1OXHhim
After finishing they separate chaff from wheat or barley this way:
http://sainia.gr/images/1_st_class/glws ... img463.jpg

Excellent, thank you!

I wonder if a similar arrangement was adopted in Spain?

(mainly because I am thinking of the final duel in For a Few Dollars More).

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 16 Mar 2017, 07:16

Since Spain and Greece have similar agriculture it is very possible but I am not sure.
In households they were using small grinding stones by hand :
http://ebooks.edu.gr/modules/ebook/show ... mg9_17.jpg
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Peter on 25 Mar 2017, 22:41

It looks wonderfull! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 09 Apr 2017, 20:19

Dear friends I am really close to finish my work and upload in gallery. :-D ( At last! :oops: )
But I want your opinion for my tree, before I post my dio. I tried to represent what we call: πρινάρι, and the google translate it: Holm oak. A smaller version of:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ifolia.jpg
Well here it is:
Please don't be kind. I really want your strictly comments.
Thanks in advance. :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by FredG on 09 Apr 2017, 20:33

Being super critical, the foliage is a little on the heavy side. Shape wise it's a good job.

FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Konrad on 09 Apr 2017, 20:40

Your Dio will become a masterpiece. :notworthy:
I'm deeply impressed! :shock:
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by sberry on 09 Apr 2017, 20:54

I like the tree (like anything else in this dio), and I think you have done a good job with the color of the foliage. It is surely more difficult to get such a pale hue right, rather than a simple bright green that would be good for other species.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Cryns on 09 Apr 2017, 21:41

Well look at this! :-D
So this is what you have been doing (secretly) the last few weeks.
Very nice work, a great addition to you dio.

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:Please don't be kind.

Okay I give you my most honest opinion:
I would like to have this tree myself as part of my handmade forest. :-D
Its color looks fine.
The foliage is convincing and lively.
The texture of the trunk looks very good.
I agree with FredG, the foliage is extremely dense and compact. Speaking from one tree maker to another: most of the time we make foliage too dense because we used too much foliage powder or flakes.
A lesson I had to learn: Less (foliage) = more (in quality)
A real tree is transparent, even in full summer. Like the tree at your research picture: we can still see some spots of blue sky.

I have some request that you probably did not expect:
Your photograph is too obscure to judge the proportions of the tree because the full trunk (bottom) is not in the frame and part of it is covered in black shade.
I am afraid the proportion of this tree (% hight of trunk, % hight of foliage) could be the weakest part of your creation.

Your research picture shows 1/5 part trunk and 4/5 part foliage.
Your own tree seems to show 1/2 part trunk and 1/2 foliage.
A better picture could give a more reliable image for us to judge. :oops:

Also it looks like you used a split-focus lens: tree top = sharp focussed, lower part of foliage = soft focus. How (or why) did you make that soft focus?

I hope this does not keep you awake this night, Kostis. ;-)
Just hope this will help you a little.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Emperor on 09 Apr 2017, 22:07

I am happy with the result of entire diorama... I especially like the scene where cat is sleeping peacefully on door steps. Entre diorama gives the feeling of quiet peaceful place like the one I spent my childhood days...
Emperor  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 09 Apr 2017, 22:16

Thank you so much my friends. :-D
Mr. Cryns wrote:I agree with FredG, the foliage is extremely dense and compact. Speaking from one tree maker to another: most of the time we make foliage too dense because we used too much foliage powder or flakes.
A lesson I had to learn: Less (foliage) = more (in quality)
A real tree is transparent, even in full summer. Like the tree at your research picture: we can still see some spots of blue sky.

This is what I also think. :oops:
In my eyes the proportions are rather OK. The tree I want torepresent is small. The trunk is a branch from a real tree.
I will finish everything else if I would still think that the tree is the weak part of the dio, I would rather give the foliage of the tree another chance.
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Wiking on 10 Apr 2017, 15:03

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:
Please don't be kind. I really want your strictly comments.

OK, my opinion. The tree is not bad for wargaming. But it is not up to the quality for the other things in your Dio. I remember the handcart as an example. Mr. Cryns do a nice text with pic how to create tree.

My experience is if you like your Dio or something on it. You do not start to ask other people/ member about that. Simply it is good ! If you feel not satisfied with it or something is wrong you start to ask other people/ member. That is really not a bad solution.
And then change it !
I am sorry. :oops:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 10 Apr 2017, 18:59

Wiking wrote:My experience is if you like your Dio or something on it. You do not start to ask other people/ member about that. Simply it is good ! If you feel not satisfied with it or something is wrong you start to ask other people/ member. That is really not a bad solution.
And then change it !
I am sorry. :oops:

You are right Eric!
Well some times, hopefully not often, the weak face of my character shows up from the corner.
Though you know something is NOT that good, you hope that it might be. :eh:
I really appreciate your friendly comments. :notworthy: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Kekso on 11 Apr 2017, 07:58

Wiking wrote:The tree is not bad for wargaming. But it is not up to the quality for the other things in your Dio.

My thought exactly.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress