Tutorials

How I base my 28mm Napoleonics

Posted by gerry7944 on 15 Feb 2017, 13:50

I have been asked to do a small tutorial on how I base my 28mm Napoleonics.

Firstly I base my models on their bases and superglue them in the position I wish.

I then get some PVA glue and put it into a plastic bottle top and paint it onto the bases of the models. I then use some fine grit sand which I buy off of Ebay quite cheaply (I would pay no more than £1.50) and then run the bases through the sand allowing the sand and grit to stick to the base.

I then paint the inside and sides of the movement trays with Vallejo chocolate brown model colour paint.

I add a few drops of water to the left over PVA glue in the bottletop and also a few drops of Vallejo Chocolate brown model paint and mix this into a thin paste. I then coat this onto the bases of the models over the sand and grit stuck to the bases. This will create a seal when dry sealing the sand and grit to the base.

The next stage is I get some Vallejo iraqui sand and dry brush onto the dry model bases giving some highlight to the sand and grit.

I again use some PVA glue and dab onto the model bases where I want the static grass to be.I also put it onto the sides of the movement trays.

I then use my Static grass grasss box to apply the static grass which will stick to the model bases and the sides of the movent trays.

Once this has dried I then apply various sizes of bushes and grass tufts.

Here are some photographs of the steps.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Gerry

gerry7944  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 15 Feb 2017, 14:08

Well known technique but excellent tutorial with pictures and explanation. Perfect for new people in this hobby. Thanks a lot Gerry. We need more stuff like this (not from you but from all members).
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 15 Feb 2017, 19:36

Real nice tutorial! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Emperor on 15 Feb 2017, 21:01

Great tutorial. I just have one question...What is material you use for base and where you get it?
Emperor  

Posted by gerry7944 on 16 Feb 2017, 01:55

Kekso wrote:Well known technique but excellent tutorial with pictures and explanation. Perfect for new people in this hobby. Thanks a lot Gerry. We need more stuff like this (not from you but from all members).

Kekso

No problem.

Glad it will be usefull to any friends who are starting this wonderfull hobby.

Cheers

Gerry

Posted by gerry7944 on 16 Feb 2017, 01:56

Peter wrote:Real nice tutorial! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Peter

No problem.

Cheers

Gerry

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by gerry7944 on 16 Feb 2017, 01:59

Emperor wrote:Great tutorial. I just have one question...What is material you use for base and where you get it?

Emperor

I use laser cut MDF and get my bases from a company on Ebay called Lasercraftart.

They are quite cheap and also fit the Victrix movement trays.

Cheers

Gerry

Return to Tutorials