Modelling

ACW 1/72 recasts

Posted by Traveller1865 on 08 Feb 2017, 13:33

Hello!
Me and sculptor Leonardo Toricini have been collaborating on a project lately, conversions of ACW 1/72 casualties. Below you can see some of the completed (and almost completed) work so far:

http://imgur.com/hOAcaCS

http://imgur.com/XIEy5y4

http://imgur.com/LodfYOL

Feel free to comment and suggest improvements. If anyone wants to be part of this and help share the cost of masters please contact me, if we're more people on this project we can get more poses and limit the costs. These figures will be cast in metal by Hagen Miniatures in Germany but will ship anywhere.
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Feb 2017, 13:41

These casualties looks very good. Seen them on Facebook too. Used to make my own casualties and the old Esci sets were very good for this!

Made a little ACW-scene a couple of years ago:

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6496&p=80841&hilit=rebel+yell#p80841
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Traveller1865 on 09 Feb 2017, 14:27

Some more.

http://imgur.com/a/P0UE9

http://imgur.com/a/r3xCr

If anyone is interested let me know.
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by Phersu on 09 Feb 2017, 14:45

Susofrick wrote:These casualties looks very good. Seen them on Facebook too. Used to make my own casualties and the old Esci sets were very good for this!

Made a little ACW-scene a couple of years ago:

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6496&p=80841&hilit=rebel+yell#p80841

Thank you!
Indeed they are... ;-) of course the outcome of normal conversions depends much from the base figure quality and position, which could be enhanced and even improved in several ways with further resculpting work... :thumbup:

The resin recasting needs an extra previuos work but then allow several easier changes of positions... sometimes even almost with no need of any retouch!
In some cases, especially to avoid repeating the same poses too much in mass scenes with a lot of figures, and for casualties or other missing poses, it can be a good alternative to create quickly several cheap conversions from just few figures! ;-)

And here 3 new conversions... still from the same bases, and more coming soon!

Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by DickerThomas on 10 Feb 2017, 14:03

Hello Leonardo, ;-)

they look very good .. interesting .. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

maybe the Casualties-Dollies might be useful.. :oops: :oops: :oops:
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 12 Feb 2017, 12:08

Nice and always useful models
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 13 Feb 2017, 15:53

Are those figures doing an audition? "Play that you are dying!" ;-) :-D

Really nice figures Leo! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Feb 2017, 00:43

The poses remind me of my first wifes cooking,
and my strange reaction to it.
I`m glad she left before killing me :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Phersu on 25 Feb 2017, 00:54

Thank you my friends!
This time a dramatic bayonnet fight... this double figure scene particularly inspired me, and some figures are particulary suitable for such conversions! ;-)

Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Traveller1865 on 25 Feb 2017, 19:45

Pretty impressive!
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by Phersu on 27 Feb 2017, 17:16

Thank you my friends!

Traveller1865 wrote:Pretty impressive!

Yes! ;-)
Of coures the figure details are the same of the source figure, as didn't improve them with a further resculpting... but sometimes the poses of some base figures allow excellent conversions, just with a little fantasy and some conversion work! :winky:

And here another two nice ones, inspired from a famous painting of Fort Gregg and some others: when the artillery is destroyed, and there are no more ammo...
rather than surrender, I'll throw bricks and stones to the enemy! :shock:

The interesting thing is that all these covertions came out from the resin castings of the same 5 figures, and therefore was very quick and cheap to do! :-D
Of course independently from the level and quantity of resculpting involved, which in this case is minimal and visible from the different color of putty corrections... despite not so much for the engraving enhancement of some details, which I slightly cleared and improved, only comparable with the source figure next (sorry, I have no time to take the photos now :( )

Of course these are conversions for a mass scenery with a lot of figures, the refinishing can be enhanced up to a single figure quality level, depending from what we want to get and how much resculpting is necessary... with more refinshing and resculpting we can get much better detailing and even make a perfectly detailed but completely different figure.

The last 4 figures in fact required just a little more resculpting, compared to the previous casualties and crowling poses, even just to make the bayonnets and the hands grabbining the bricks (simple resin squared bits)... but the outcome is much better, also thank to the dynamuc pose... after all in most cases, converting standing poses into other standing poses is much easier, than make them crawl or lay down as casualties, and of course look more dynamic!

However, apart the eventual resculpting, in these cases the figures features remains the same of the original, is just the pose that changed! ;-)
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Phersu on 25 Mar 2017, 11:02

I finally just made 3 new figures... after nearly a month of pause.

"pause": euphemism which means a very busy and rush period... to finish and go ahead on some other projects, and to prepare for a modeling show. :sweatdrop:

First two firing gunners, inspired by two famous paintings scenes, like the previous figures throwing bricks.

And another very unusual subject which I particularly liked, a kneeling soldier crying... which could be also used to represent another dramatic subject, a soldier wounded in the face! :stressed:
It is still inspired by a famous painting, and the first of few other similar figures that will be the next conversions.

This time the subjects required some more resculpting (slightly recognizable from the different color parts, in fact the second gunner is almost completely resculpted) rather than just the pose conversion and few corrections... to make the uniforms of the gunners different like the paintings... and, despite no changes at the uniform, the kneeling pose also required quite some resculpting especially to the legs and shoulders.

In fact, despite I still just used two of the same 5 base bodies, the same already used several times for the previous conversions. :winky:
And the gunners are mostly unrecognizable from the base figures, few parts are still the same of the original source figure.

Of course it would take some further resculpting to make the figures exactly identical to the painting... probably no much less than the same necessary to sculpt a figure properly in the normal way!
The poses would need few adjustments, the whole figure a further refinishing, especially to the heads which are the same of the original figures (not bad at all for commercial plastic figs, but far from the best quality figures sculpting and not resembling in the face and expression)

However, these "enhanced" conversions still resemble very closely the subjects on which are based, while keeping the cost closer to a cheap conversions than to the usual for normal figures sculpting...

While the kneeling crying instead is still a normal pose conversion, the whole uniform is still the same, just the pose and few body proportions are different.

And I begin to think that perhaps, at least for some of these very particular and interesting subjects could be a good idea, to sculpt proper completely original masters instead than just conversions... to make them regularly available, even if just as limited edition or casted on request... as I really doubt that subjects like these are available in the range produced.

After so many ancient subjects... it was a nice change and I definitely begin to enjoy to make also ACV figures! :thumbup:
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Lacc on 26 Mar 2017, 13:11

Fantastic job!
Your figures are very dynamics and realistic.
Good done, congratuations!

Alfredo
Lacc  Spain

Posted by Traveller1865 on 02 Apr 2017, 11:14

They really are dynamic, especially when painted and in a mass!

Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by Phersu on 15 Apr 2017, 19:34

Just few quick words to wish a good Easter to everybody, and show the latest conversions of the series... after a pause to bring ahead some other works, which will be coming soon! ;-)

Another crying soldier inspired by a painting...

And another fighting pose just inspired by fantasy... and probably from some films scenes!

Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Photoro Man on 06 Feb 2019, 09:03

Hi, still in this project or is it finished?
Would have some suggestions :-)
Photoro Man  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Traveller1865 on 06 Feb 2019, 09:41

Photoro Man wrote:Hi, still in this project or is it finished?
Would have some suggestions :-)

Hi Photoro, this project is long gone, the ACW I produce and sell now are in resin at http://www.speira.net
you're welcome to send in suggestions, and even sponsor a pose if you want https://www.speira.net/product/custom-c ... ur-choice/
There might be figures from the resin line produced in metal in the near future.
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Return to Modelling