Game Reports

Massive American Civil War tribute battle

Posted by C M Dodson on 27 Jan 2017, 13:31

It was my privilege last weekend to join a group of fellow wargamers to help bring a terminally ill friends wish to fruition.

Peter has spent the last five years amassing eighteen thousand Union and Confederate troops. At last, on a massive table he got the opportunity to display them in action.

The troops are organised as per the original regiments, brigades, divisions, Corps and the rules employed were Regimental Fire and Fury.

The scenario was as follows.

Vicksburg has fallen in May ,Grant has become Commander in chief of all Union forces .

Lee is massing his ANV on one of the major river depots ready to launch his northern invasion. However, with Vicksburg falling and Johnson being pressured in the West by Sherman, Lee has despatched 2nd Army Corp to halt Sherman's lightning campaign towards Atlanta before it is to late.

Grant has intelligence that this has happened and although newly in command in the East, believes that he can attack Lee with 1/2/3 and half of 5th Corp and beat him or cause severe disruption .

Grant has had some Western troops trained to take part in an amphibious assault and has assembled a small flotilla to this purpose.

The battle.

The Union attacked the very heavily defended port/depot head with ironclad and siege gun support. Despite knocking out some significant gun positions the Western troops suffered badly, losing one brigade en route as the fleet was sunk. The other brigade having landed was repulsed by a strong Confederate defence.

The Confederate Army responded to the Union attack by attacking and we all had a great two days of action.

Whilst the Union right flank and port attack was fought to a stand still, in the centre the Federals were winning and looked like splitting the Confederate forces in two.

The troops on the Union left were losing and it looked like Longstreet's Corps would eventually turn the Union flank. However, events had run their course and it was time to pack everything up.

Conclusion.

We all had a super time fighting our war game in the 'Grand Manner' with some 18,000 28mm figures ,speciality artillery ,ships, trains and all the other support kit that makes an Army .

Many thanks to Peter for allowing us to 'play' with his lovely collection and organising the venue. Special thanks also to all the friendly, lovely people who made me welcome and helped make the weekend the success that it was.
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Emperor on 27 Jan 2017, 20:15

@CMDodson- I want to thank you and your friends for doing such a noble act of making friend happy. You and your friends are big in hearts as your diorama of Ligny is big.
Emperor  

Posted by C M Dodson on 27 Jan 2017, 21:30

Thank you for your lovely comments they are most appreciated. However, I must point out that I was a helping guest of Peter and his friends not an organising person.

Peter and I met at Waterloo 2015 and have gamed/ swapped ideas since.

It was my privilege to be a small part of making his wish come true.

Thank you again.

Chris

Posted by Peter on 27 Jan 2017, 22:23

Wonderfull pictures of the game! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Someoneis cheating! That gun is to big! :mrgreen: ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Cryns on 31 Jan 2017, 12:52

Mr. Dodson,

I wish I could have joined you gentlemen during that weekend.
OMG! What a magnificent long battlefield.

Are you one of the persons in the pictures?
You met Peter in Waterloo only 18 months ago: are you living close to each other in the UK or did you travel far to engage?
And most important: was he fit enough to join the game?

I hope your friendship will last some more time from now.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by C M Dodson on 01 Feb 2017, 13:20

Hello Mr C.

Thank you for your kind comments and good wishes regarding Petet.

We live about fifty Kilometres apart so travel is not a real problem.

Yes, I am the one with the Springfield rifled musket. One has to try to intimidate the opposition if at all possible.

A very useful bit of kit to play with as it gives you a real feel of what is possible and more importantly, what is practicable when you are swinging one of these things around.

Peter played General Grant and as such was able to give orders and advice as and when necessary to us, the lower ranks from the comfort of his command chair!

Best wishes,

Chris

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Cryns on 02 Feb 2017, 13:41

C M Dodson wrote:One has to try to intimidate the opposition if at all possible.

:eh: Hmmm.... I think you did no't need the musket for that purpose since you are already the best looking man of that group ;-)
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Return to Game Reports