Miniatures Talk

Star Wars in 1/72 - is there anything out there?

Posted by Airscape on 06 Jan 2017, 11:06

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, so firstly 'hi!' and secondly, as the title suggests, can anyone advise what's out there now? I appreciate this has been asked before, but since Episode VII and Rogue One have been released (and which also peaked my interest again), I'm wondering if anything has changed and if anyone can point me in the right direction?

I know a lot of spaceships such as TIE's, Y-Wing's, X-Wing's etc. are available, as are a few walkers, but apart from some stormtroopers and clonetroopers from miniknight (http://www.minitoysoldier.com/prolist.asp?id=392) I can't seem to find any figures.

The Micromachines figures are too small, and others, such as from the Star Wars Miniatures game are too large (although the AT-AT looks about right).

Are there any sculpters out there that anyone knows willing to take on jobs in 1/72 or know of any figures for possible conversion (although I've never attempted this before, I'm willing to try!)?

Thanks for your help everyone :-)

Dave
Airscape  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 06 Jan 2017, 13:29

Welcome to the forum Dave. I would be very happy if 1/72 Star Wars figures show up at the market in quality of Zvezda, Italeri, HaT and others, but I doubt it will happen. There are few excellent sculptors on this forum but copyright would be big big issue.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by giorgio on 06 Jan 2017, 14:04

Hi Airscape, welcome to the forum. I feel exactly the same star wars fever as you! Revell (and recently seems Bandai too) speceships and fighters are good (even with some scale issue), Miniknight are... quite scarce, Micromachines, Galoob old glories are too small (and not even so good), WOTC are 34mm, Heroclix-Wizkids-NECA are... good but what size? and where to be found? and all of them are definitely and with no reason quite expensive!
Hasbro should take care of this and release miniatures of the right scale, not only 10cm, 15cm (Black Series) and some (good but scarce) 1/32 (and do the same with Marvel licensed carachters and Mattel should do the same with DC licensed and some other brand the same for War of the Worlds, Battlestar Galactica, Mars Attacks!, Predator, Robocop, Terminator, Matrix, Mad Max, Star Trek, Starship Troopers, Avatar, Alien, Planet of the Apes...)
giorgio  Italy

Posted by Peter on 06 Jan 2017, 14:40

Welcome to this forum Dave! :thumbup:

For Star Wars figures you will have to contact Disney Studios! They are the owners now. ;-)

And didn't I read somewhere that they would open a Star Wars attraction park? :eh:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 06 Jan 2017, 15:31

Welcome and have a look here:

http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/

:yeah:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 06 Jan 2017, 15:48

Nice link Jan, but I only see spaceships in 1/72 scale. No figures. :(
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Wiking on 06 Jan 2017, 16:34

At the link the lonely figure I fond is with the Tie Striker (Dark side) in 1/72.
As a separate figure at the pictures.

The other single figure are in 1/12 unfortunately not 1/72.
But thank you for the interesting link.

Because I too waiting for good 1/72 Star wars figures (in hard plastic please).
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Airscape on 06 Jan 2017, 23:05

Thanks for the replies everyone. Still as bad as ever then unfortunately :-( I've checked out the Bandai website before, and although I thank Bandai for their work, it'd be nice to see some actual soldiers and Jedi and Sith too. Also some more armour like AT-AT's etc. wouldn't go a miss either.

I'll take some pics of what I have so far, which isn't much, but I'm concentrating on the figures and armour before getting the readily accessible TIE's and X-Wings!

It's times like this when I wish I could sculpt! :-(
Airscape  United Kingdom

Posted by PDA on 07 Jan 2017, 03:58

PDA  England

Posted by Airscape on 07 Jan 2017, 14:13

Thanks PDA, those are the troopers I have already. I really like them, but the poses are limited. They come as as shown, except the unpainted ones - if you get these you have to build them and paint them and come in a normal box of like 48 or something.

I've also got 2 Elheim figures that I'm using as Leia and Mon Mothma and a Micromachines Action Fleet Chewie.

Also found a lot on Shapeways, but it's quite expensive.
Airscape  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 08 Jan 2017, 00:22

Yes, Bandai did only the fighters. But they are in our scale with figures. I just wanted to add a small info to the discussion... :oops:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Airscape on 09 Jan 2017, 19:43

Hi Mabo,

It all helps, so thanks! I just wish Bandai would look at other stuff too; but I suppose things like fighters are the most popular models and that's why they do them?

I just want everything in 1/72 - I'm greedy!!!
Airscape  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 14 Jan 2017, 02:17

These might be too small but the official licenced merchandise had 4 floating pens with resin figures inside.

I think the Darth Vader might be a bit small compared to 1/72 figures and perhaps the 3CPO too. But I thought the Yoda and R2D2 might work for you because they are small characters anyway.

After several days of trying I finally managed to upload this pic of the Yoda figure compared with a 1/72 ESCI/Italeri figure To Tinypic.

The brand name on these pens is STAR79 WESCO LIMITED.

For any Dr.Who fans they also had pens with figs of a Cuberman and a Weeping Angel in them. The Cyberman looks a bit puny in 1/72 terms but to be honest even a puny Cyberman is still the scariest thing in the Universe.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Ben on 14 Jan 2017, 08:43

@Airscap

Do you have any pictures of the unpainted storm or clone troopers from mini knight?

I just have the painted ones, which in my eyes are too soft for any conversion.
Ben  Germany

Posted by Airscape on 15 Jan 2017, 14:56

Thanks Graeme! I'll check these out, even if it is only Yoda and R2, it's still better than nothing :-)
Airscape  United Kingdom

Posted by Airscape on 15 Jan 2017, 15:08

They're made from the same material, grey and quite soft - the only difference being you have to add the head, arms and legs. Might make it easier for converting though?

For some reason it won't let me upload pictures - anyone know why? Do I have to ask for permission or something? Thanks!
Airscape  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ben on 15 Jan 2017, 17:55

Where have you stored your pictures?

Yes with separate haids etc it would be much easier.

Maybe I should order them.
Ben  Germany

Posted by Peter on 15 Jan 2017, 19:18

Airscape wrote:For some reason it won't let me upload pictures - anyone know why? Do I have to ask for permission or something? Thanks!

No permission needed to upload pictures. It could be like Ben said your picture host. Otherwise send me an example by PM of what you want to upload (the picture code; jpg). Then I'll give it a try.
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Airscape on 16 Jan 2017, 21:51

The images I have are just on my Mac - do I need to upload them to a hosting site? When I click the Img button it brings up .

Sorry, this is probably really easy, but I'm new to this and full of cold, which isn't helping my brain! Thanks.
Airscape  United Kingdom

Posted by Airscape on 16 Jan 2017, 21:56

Hi Ben,

They are in 5 pieces - head, body, 2x legs and arms - they just need to be glued. Should be useful for converting.

You get a lot more than the ready done ones (you only get 5 of those). The artwork on the box shows totally different troopers from what's inside. I took a gamble and was pleasantly surprised with the amount I got :-)
Airscape  United Kingdom

Next page

Return to Miniatures Talk