Work in Progress

Soviet tank riders - next step

Posted by Zed1 on 31 Oct 2016, 15:49

Hi folks!

So. At first: thanks to Kaktus who sent me a sprue of Soviet tank riders. It took some time to finish them (especially because, at first, I had to build and paint the tank for them), but here are the first pics of the mounted infantrymen. I specially hope that you like my painting results.

As you can see, I decided to paint these chaps in the more khaki colours that were rather usual for the late war period.

And it's guard infantry. You can see it by the badge on their breasts. :mrgreen:

The set itself provides a nice variety of headgear, by the way.

While on research, I found a nice website made by reenactors. It gives a good live idea about different types of Soviet WW2 uniforms, equipment, rank insignia etc.
http://www.2ndguards.com/Picture%20Gallery.htm
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Wiking on 31 Oct 2016, 17:45

Ready for (comb..) Wodka!

Nice link for color of Russian uniform.
Well paint Hät tank riders.
With a badge and dirt at the boots and legs!
:-D
Wiking  Germany

Posted by MABO on 31 Oct 2016, 20:37

They are good looking, Sascha. Btw: Can you tell us what was the reason for choosing exactly this tank when starting in this new period?
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ben90 on 31 Oct 2016, 20:38

Nice! Great work on the faces!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Zed1 on 31 Oct 2016, 20:42

Thank you, friends. :)
@Mabo: The reason is simple. It has a flat design... so I hoped to be able to put all of the tank riders on it... and was right.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by guilhem on 31 Oct 2016, 20:56

very good paint...
guilhem  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Mário on 31 Oct 2016, 21:38

Good Evening to all
As I’ve just painted some Russians that I plan to use in my next wargame (I’ll call it Moscow 45, a very fictitious scenery during an alternate WW2) it is with great pleasure that I admired your perfectly assembled and painted assault gun and its riders.
Excellent faces and uniforms! It gives me the will to get some of these tank riders.
Just an observation and a critic, if you don’t mind:
First the critic, the guy on the back, sitting over the engine grilles, must have its backside burning. It gets really hot there! :oops: Just put him elsewere.
Then the observation that does not relate to your work but to almost all the companies that have been modeling tank riders. Have you ever had a ride on a tank or other type of armored vehicle? If you did you know that up there you grip to anything that is available just to save your life! You rock, you tumble and it seems that the driver is trying to throw you out of the vehicle.
These riders are obviously on a stopped vehicle. :-D
Regards
Mário  Portugal

Posted by Bluefalchion on 31 Oct 2016, 22:16

Wonderful paint on those tank riders. Especially the boots--they are delightfully weathered and dusty. Agreed about the tank riders--they would be holding on for dear life if the tank destroyer was on the move.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Zed1 on 01 Nov 2016, 10:13

Good point, Mario. The tank itself is designed for the needs of its' crew. It has some handles, but not many. Using it as a taxi makes only sense in a slow or medium speed. High speed driving accross a field wil certainly make most people drop off. In return, the crew would have to modify the tank speed on basis of the aspect not to lose the 'riders'. My only live experience is riding on an M113, but I would agree: whatever the scene is, that tank wil most certainly be standing still or only move very slow.

And when it moves and the engines start to heat up, the man on the grilles will certainly look for a more suitable position.

And then... I have just another idea. Has anyone a sprue of Plastic Soldier Set WW2020001 'Russian Infantry in Summer Uniform' http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1855 for me?
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 01 Nov 2016, 12:29

Fantastic work, very inspirational.
It seems that tank riders are very popular lately.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 12 Nov 2016, 21:17

Kekso wrote:Fantastic work, very inspirational.
It seems that tank riders are very popular lately.

I'm buying all of them! I will be the only supplier of these sets in a couple of weeks! :mrgreen:

Great work Sascha! Much better as my British tank riders from this year for FIGZ! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Work in Progress