Work in Progress

Ming army project (Battle of Byeokjegwan,1593)

Posted by lirui on 05 Sep 2016, 02:54

一些涂装照片,陆续更新:
Some painting pictures, update

lirui  China

Posted by Cryns on 05 Sep 2016, 11:43

Excellent work both on sculpting and painting.
The glossy coat must be on purpose depicting silk, is that right?
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by lirui on 05 Sep 2016, 15:47

Excellent work both on sculpting and painting.
The glossy coat must be on purpose depicting silk, is that right?

:yeah: YES..... :mrgreen: He attired himself in Chinese traditional silk. :-)
lirui  China

Posted by Peter on 05 Sep 2016, 17:43

:shock: Excellent brushwork! Love it! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Sep 2016, 19:22

Elegant Stylish Horse,and Colourful Rider, and i like the shine too. Splendid Achievement! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Alex on 05 Sep 2016, 20:01

Very good !!!! :yeah: :yeah: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Alex  Russia
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by KenzoSato on 11 Sep 2016, 21:34

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by dirk on 12 Sep 2016, 07:10

Good paintjob - looks really good !
dirk  Germany

Posted by Emperor on 12 Sep 2016, 11:03

This is great...A real eye candy...
Emperor  

Posted by lirui on 13 Oct 2016, 03:49

I am glad to see more friends (Dicker Thomas) had made some new Ming soilders , new masters had the same uniform : “锦甲 ” ;so I update some painted pictures. The former masters had already been copied but still waited for WEAPONS from my firends....In fact, I had painted them all with one or two reference figures,when weapons were supplied by my friends, I would update more pictures. so, the pictures were lack of Ming' blade.... : )

I had already began more masters , cavalry , general...

我很高兴见到更多的朋友 (Dicker Thomas) 来做明朝的士兵模型了,而且原型同是穿着“锦甲”,所以我也上传一些涂好的图片。之前的原型已经复制好了,但是都缺少武器,等待我的朋友给我提供......事实上,我已经都给之前的模型都涂了几个未完成的示范,等武器到了,我再补图片. 因此,图片上的人物都缺少明刀....... :)

我开始继续制作其他原型了,有骑兵和将军

Lack of blade
缺少刀
lirui  China

Posted by DickerThomas on 13 Oct 2016, 07:15

Hello Lirui, ;-)

great painted figures .. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: and many thanks for the pictures fo the Uniform as well :love: .. i also got your message ..and many thanks for your offerde help .. i already used the pictures you sent me the last time .. about your remark with the "shield" ... do you mean the Metalplate (armor) on the breast of the Caesar Miniatures Figures ??

If "yes" .. the ones, i want to produce won't have this plate .. Leonardo tries to engrave the little dragons on the Uniforms, so that it will later be a little easier to paint them.. because everyone is such a good painter as you.. :oops: :oops:
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by lirui on 13 Oct 2016, 08:54

Metalplate was optional equipment , is right. I mean the infantry's shields , shape as image below ,the most common are round.

It was described and written by a military researcher ,lived in the Ming dynasty
lirui  China

Posted by santifernandez on 13 Oct 2016, 19:05

Terrific art!!!
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by DickerThomas on 14 Oct 2016, 08:15

Thank you for the Pictures Lirui :yeah:

i will use some of them for the next figures.. but i think i will not use them for the Datog Garrison... :oops:

I also found pictures of these shields..

They are from Korea ... in an Museum of the Imjin-War Period ;-)
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by Peter on 20 Oct 2016, 19:43

Those gunners look marvellous! :shock: :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by lirui on 24 Oct 2016, 16:32

Former master's modifications:
对于之前一个造型的修改:
Jinyi Wei's battlefield uniform,now had two new FuTou.
锦衣卫战场装,两个新的幞头
Fixed some Bugs,Hanfu's collar,belt for hanging weapon, two new FuTou. The former FuTou has two tails(Pic 2 ),according to textual research it was not suit for armed men but civilian.
修补了一些造型BUG,汉服的衣领,挂武器的武装带,两个新幞头。之前的幞头有两个尾巴(图2),而考证后武者是不会这样系的,那是文人的装束。

The twelfth:
第十二个:
Military officer
大明将领
Appearance were combined with pic 3' middle-late period helmet and pic 4' old style armor of the song dynasty .(Though, pic3 and pic4 were Jinyi Wei,’锦衣卫’, they were dressed in general's armor.)
The armor in pic4 were made of 'Shan Wen Jia',”山文甲”,I sculpted scale amor instead. 'Shan Wen Jia' is too difficult to sculpt,maybe only 3D-printing could achieve.
造型结合了第3张图里的中晚期头盔,和第4张图里的老旧宋式盔甲。(图3和图4里画的是锦衣卫,但他们穿的是将领的甲胄)
图4里的甲胄是山文甲,我雕刻了鳞甲替代了。山文甲雕刻起来太困难,也许只有3D打印才能实现。
←中晚期头盔 Middle-late period helmet
←宋式盔甲 Old style armor of the song dynasty
←出警图中的马 horse from "出警图” a Ming dynasty's picture scroll
lirui  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Wiking on 24 Oct 2016, 17:00

Very nice work all around. :yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Phersu on 25 Oct 2016, 00:03

lirui wrote:I am glad to see more friends (Dicker Thomas) had made some new Ming soilders , new masters had the same uniform : “锦甲 ” ;so I update some painted pictures. The former masters had already been copied but still waited for WEAPONS from my firends....In fact, I had painted them all with one or two reference figures,when weapons were supplied by my friends, I would update more pictures. so, the pictures were lack of Ming' blade.... : )

I had already began more masters , cavalry , general...

我很高兴见到更多的朋友 (Dicker Thomas) 来做明朝的士兵模型了,而且原型同是穿着“锦甲”,所以我也上传一些涂好的图片。之前的原型已经复制好了,但是都缺少武器,等待我的朋友给我提供......事实上,我已经都给之前的模型都涂了几个未完成的示范,等武器到了,我再补图片. 因此,图片上的人物都缺少明刀....... :)

我开始继续制作其他原型了,有骑兵和将军

Lack of blade
缺少刀

Congatulations for the brilliant figures! :thumbup:

It's very nice to see more and different versions of the same troops :occasion:
And also very inresting to see the different ways to represent certain details... did you used micro-spheres for the studs on the Datong uniforms?
You made an excellent precision work! :notworthy:

Having just faced the same task I know that of course in this cases we have to make a compromise, between the real scale and the figure and details dimentons... such studs would be too thick and nearly invisible reproduced in the same number and at the precise scale. :eh:

To make the studs first I tried with a round 0,3 mm hollow punch, the smallest I have, more or less probably about the same size on your figures... it look nice and clear but the studs had to be many less and more spreaded than reality.

Then I made also a test just with holes in the place of the studs, being smaller the holes can reach alost the real number of studs... despite not planned to be painted neatly, but just to give a slight effect with a simple wash on the figures once painted.

And by pure chance, while doing this test I discover a new trick... :winky:
While making the holes with a needle I noticed that if the putty is still soft enough, the needle top tend to stick to the putty more than the sides, and when I pull the needle out the pin-top lift the putty in the middle of the hole, often recreating a very similar micro-stud of 0,1 mm or even less! :shock:
Unfortunately it don't worked always, is not easy to put the right pressure and find the right moment when the putty is not too soft or too hardened... :eh: I still have to lear and act practice, however according with Thomas we decided for this other choice, and I guess both our figures would look fine toghether! ;-)
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by lirui on 26 Oct 2016, 09:03

"pull may recreat a 0,1 mm or even less micro-stud"
I had thought the same way before : make a tool ( copper hollow tube), are you going to use this method? I'm looking forward to......

Weigh advantages and disadvantages, "Real scale" it sounds great , express the effect by 0.35mm micro-spheres is easy to operate and it is stick out of the surface as the real situation also had a nice appearance.:winky:
lirui  China

Posted by sansovino on 26 Oct 2016, 17:09

I like your miniatures where you take always care of every detail. And really a huge amount of research which you invest in this project. China is so big, but most producers are still ignoring the market and the richness of possible new miniatures. You are really a pioneer!
sansovino  Germany

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress