Work in Progress

BB`s Unusual Canal.

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Aug 2016, 01:14

MY FIRST RIVER SAMPLE
The river banks are unfinished but i thought to show this second stages of work, because i have already shown the first painted stage already here.

As soon as i grab some time from sleeping more boats will be shown,because you might tire out of seeing just this one. As already reported,O`ll George Jacobs the Bargeman sadly fell into the glue pot so he has had quite a conversion done on him too. He will be shown soon.

Work on reed beds and such need attempting next.
i`ll try not to get another electric shock this time off that powerful Static Grass Applicator!
It sure packs a whack that's for sure, so needs discharging after use. i`ll explain that later.

My second sample of river is ongoing too,
and the deep side of the river bank is under construction,and this is great fun.
However i need to gain more experience for the grand scheme of things locked away in my head to take their final shape.
So a third wider river section is also ongoing and will be the site where my metal girder railway bridge easily span the waters of the deep River Wensum. Norwich.

Thanks for looking. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 27 Aug 2016, 12:30

This is what happens when 2 drunk Englishmen meet in canal:

:xd: :xd: :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Aug 2016, 15:39

(i)

Very good Dalibor, that made me laugh.

The British drinker, stinky drunk as a Skunk , with her,or his head over the boats side ,would be far to river sick to care about etiquette upon the waterways.
Being so darn drunk even to pronounce the name even.
"What is Ettee-ETTIKIT ? " they`ed blort out between throwing up.
With such a slimy bottle neck occurring ,on my canal i would make e`m try walking a straight line on a bendy pirates plank, and with a boat hook to hand i`d make sure they met their deserving end.

:sst: " Is BB,going to make plastic figures walk the plank?"

BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 28 Aug 2016, 20:42

Sure you have to make those figures! It's a figures forum, remember! :-D

Looks good Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Sep 2016, 03:29

As you can see___________

___the entire base has been painted and sanded. Hopefully this will mask a join in the board from being seen through the water effect. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 02 Sep 2016, 20:09

Waiting for the result of all this work! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Sep 2016, 16:35

First of all i am having difficulty with tiny pics,
and so the very large warship that i can see posted on this topic was not of my doing.

Having two stretches of water effects ongoing, and In between modelling jobs at present waiting for stuff to dry out before proceeding.
i decided to do one more sample of water effect.
Well i had already prepared the 11" X 9" board sample for water effects well over a week ago.
So having nothing to loose i put it on last night about Midnight.
The water being 5" wide at its widest point.
So the width is practically the same width as my longest stretch of canal.

It is only 1mm thick at its thickest point.

I`ll be attempting to make plants tonight, just to get practice in ,and fill stuff in growing both in and out of the water. Whether they will look like those growing on our planet in this small scale ,time will tell i suppose. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Sep 2016, 16:43

I guess the picture was somehow corrupted. It is much to large to cruise my canal.

So i downloaded the sanded bend off another gallery.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Cryns on 05 Sep 2016, 11:59

I would like to give you a tip for the visualisation of your water.
What you show us looks like very good fake water.
But you only showed it indoors until now.
This is what I can recomment you:
Take one element of your waterway outside in one of your lovely gardens on a sunny day with FULL BLUE SKY.
But place your object in the SHADOW.
Now take some pictures and make sure your water is only reflecting the blue sky, not mirroring the dark shapes of trees and buildings and not reflecting the bright sunrays.
This will give you to most optimal and spectacular watereffect.
And probably the best result to see the transludency of the water.
You might see the bottom and its color in full effect.
And the blue sky gives the wateri a blue effect that we use to associate water with. But now without painting your water blue.

Now you may think: whats tho point of all this when my waterways will be exposed only indoors for the rest of their life?
Well, Just see this as a 'beano' moment and by ways of the pictures you can share it with your audience.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Sep 2016, 15:20

That is a good point upon reflecting the sky Mr. Cryns,
and an interesting thought too of taking a few example shots outside of my samples!

:shock: "Sample Shots of Samples?"
;-) " Well it seems reasonable to me."
:read: " One must remember it is all part of illusion though."
:cowboy: " Yah,like the reflection in me new boots!"
:sst: "I`mmm,i kinda like that."

Today it is rather a gloomy day here in Fiddle Wood ,but like the fiddler who played along with Duke William,in the day of Nog Bad Beano of old,
i will certainly arrange a few well aimed fiddley diddley dee,shots outside in our courtyard garden.
It will require two full size 5`x 3` tables for the actual parts of the Diorama things that i am working on to sit upon in order to make them able to sun beam reflect themselves in the garden.
__ But anything allowed for fun.

Image " That seems reasonable to me."

Upon my own thoughtful reflection of all this planned out camera snapping activity,is with more space then made available in the house Mrs B,might not let me bring them back inside.

:coffee: "i am of course Joking!"
:sst: " Mrs B,will not be joking!"
:mrgreen:" BB,will have to take the roof off the house for that 14 foot by 7 foot Honey Well Layout to reflect anything."
:wink: "Is there a river there at Honey Well ?"
:coffee: " No just a few puddles where i spilt me tea! _______All written in the bright spirit of fun,
and no slight intended." BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Sep 2016, 20:03

Sticking on The Sidings

Nothing to grand or exciting to report,
however i did make a start to fix the sides up that defines and protects the canal sides.

i put plenty of glue both on the backs of the corrugated strips which were still straight,
and the side of the canal that was to be clad with these things.

Then i left it for nearly an hour to go tacky and then brushed a thin layer of p v a glue onto each piece again.

This combined method i have used for many years, and the glue applied acts like contact glue,and the fresh wet glues acts to seals up the edges.

The small brush handle becomes a good tool to use for pushing the stuff in to make contact ,and a good fixing point that will stay put and not swan off down river. BB

Six lengths stuck into place,
and another two will take me to the hallway point of this part of the raised canal. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Sep 2016, 11:04

Making The Lift Off Sections

These are cut out patterns and are to be reinforced later and landscaped.

An overlap here will look nice and neat.
A small access lane running down this edge would work well.

The canal is awash in a sea of sand while i fiddle about with sanding the banks,pathways and eventually other stuff._______ so why clear it up when work is still ongoing?

Below i call it working the numbers.
My toy trees are perfect for deploying odd numbers in design.Three`s ,fives and sevens serve that purpose well,and the odd buildings about the place give me fresh ideas too,to mull over.
The conclusion of all this,is that more than one lift off section can be made. Perhapes three. So i can change the look of what is along side of the canal without mega changes.

Lift Off!___Place On. Simplicity! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 17 Sep 2016, 17:57

And good thinking Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Sep 2016, 08:55

Hi Peter,
i have certainly reached a stage in the work, of which i have been most lazy, where i can step back with a more critical eye and consider more reasonable options.
The canal will be no problem now,and i must admit i had once been concerned about how to do the water effect, but not now. i guess us Brits like to jump in at the deep end,and take our chances.
The cost to do it will come in Pennies not Huge English Pounds. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Sep 2016, 19:55

MAKING GRANITE SETS

The service Lane or little Roadway will be made up of granite sets,and i have long pondered over the years upon how best to model them an easy way that requires no skills at all. Which is perfect for me. You will not find this on You Tube, but yes on my blog!

i bought a couple of cutting boards that are flat on both sides,and i also placed the anti slipping rubber into my shopping basket. Yes I was out with Mrs B.
This mat of which I bought yards of the stuff for under £5.00 will stop the cutting board from slipping while having the craft knife in me mitts!

I had and odd idea come into my fancy,and decided to us the matting as granite sets on my tiny road which will run directly down to the tow path of my canal.

BUT A SAMPLE FIRST

The first stuck onto a base.

The second being touched up with glue.

Laid onto the first one,and it is guided into perfect place.

It looks good.

And requires no skill what so ever.

Although it does ness pressing, and heavy books to a collector is no problem at all.

Upon release from the pressure of the books,i left this for a couple of hours to inflate again.

He stands ok upon the rubber that now is well set with glue and inflated too.

Black Emulsion Paint and they will just need dry brushing faintly with a hint of white.
So no clay needed,so no scribing to do either. A problem solved because I went shopping. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 27 Sep 2016, 21:02

Great scratchbuild roadpart! You're a genius Paul! :-D :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Sep 2016, 21:20

Peter,
i thank you,but i simple do that which is simple to do once the puzzle is solved.

The sample is complete at this stage.
On longer stretches of roadway a light scattering of green for mossy parts or sedums would and could add to its charm.

So anyway guys the roadway is certainly done and dusted as far as knowing how to do it. i just love the scratch-building side of this hobby. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 28 Sep 2016, 08:23

I agree with Peter!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Sep 2016, 22:52

:sst: " Oz Was Thinking Perhaps Even A Yellow Brick Road Might Well Work For Some?"
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 29 Sep 2016, 07:56

Reginald and Bernard definitely made it work! ;-)
Susofrick  Sweden

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress