Work in Progress

BB`s Unusual Canal.

Posted by Peter on 01 Aug 2016, 09:25

It looks like it's getting more and more all on his place! Go on! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Aug 2016, 11:25

Nothing to complicated to avoid plunging it into total darkness bright over dark,a sort of reverse colour scheme.

I`m now working on the metal top section , and i need to construct the actual raised canal reservoir level for the narrow boats to glide upon and the pathway that runs along side of it.
This is a first for me so one could call it oddly cutting edge stuff. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Aug 2016, 05:43

i was recently asked in a bright inquisitive way,
"What makes it unusual?"

One must always explain to small children the way of it all.
So i did,
"The unusual thing is the water in the canal will enter through one wall and exit-leave from another."
" But how?" asked the 6 and 8 year-old girls.
" Well through those tunnels",i replied with a smile.
" Where does the water go Grandad?"

Looking around cautious-like while holding a finger up. i replied in a hushed calm.
" That`s magic, and a secret."
They giggled away in amusement ____________ and It was a good day to explain,and not explain. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Aug 2016, 02:04

Mid Victorian Times of Great Change

The actual build is nearing completion,but it must be inspected before the water effect can be added.
Just red tape of some Government Department. After all a river directing a wetness where no wetness has ever been before must be inspected by highly skilled idiots that`s for sure.

The Tow Path

The Water Reservoir stands ready for the first pour.

So it has been slow in coming but it`s inspection day today for this part of the canal and Official looking
Men in black with matching tall hats to boot,must scale the stonework,
because silly me there are no steps.

The narrow boat going to HOBBS END,is well placed so Mr Mod ,and Mr Podge,will take a look and make a few mental notes. This is the beginning of their day, and after this they must investigate strange going`s on at Hobbs End,where the new underground railway is being built. Strange ghost-like demons and hopping imps have been seen by the work crew who are digging up London clay by the ton.

( The Bargeman is being converted and will be my first in seven months.)

"It seems all in order Mr Podge."

"It surely does Mr Mod. and that boat will move a lot faster with some water underneath it"

So with this quick eye ball of an inspection over,off they go over the wall to slid down the overgrown embankment. Perhaps steps will be added to another section.

Test samples of canal water effects are being carried out. Thanks for looking. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 15 Aug 2016, 12:20

I can only agree with the Misters Podge and Mod, it all looks fine! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Aug 2016, 01:54

A facsimile of the water reservoir was made up to do samples,and HOD PODGE wins the day,because it dries hard. This one is the best out of two,and so i now have a much clearer direction to take,because experience in water effects I have none.__________ Well not true now after a few days i do have a little.

Samples of the larger stretches of waterways are also ongoing, and above are the colours that will be blended in.

Sample A

The corrugated card was cut from a tiny sized cardboard, and it will be stuck in place to make up the support for the straight edged side of the river.

Sample B

Hi Ho , Hi Ho, A Hod Podge PODGING____________________i will go! BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Alex on 23 Aug 2016, 09:03

I really like the flowing water! Great! :yeah: :yeah:
Alex  Russia

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2016, 17:54

The cheap Brush forms a Duck Foot shape,and so i stippled away. :-D

HOD PODGE,and the cheapest way to use it i found was use a cheap 10p brush and put very little on and then apply the duck feet method. Not one hair of the brush came out to spoil the work.
i applied a tiny layer last night and it dried up less than 1mm,and the job i had worried about was as easy as taking the top of the Hodge Podge Tub! :-D

i took the stop off the end and really it was not needed.

This bridged canal has taken a while to reach this stage,and it has been a learning curb every step of the way. Lessons well learnt can and will be applied to other more important stages of the canal scratch build. Thanks for looking.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2016, 17:56

A Big Thank You Alex. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 23 Aug 2016, 18:14

That water looks fantastic! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by stenfalk on 23 Aug 2016, 19:32

The water looks really good. The visual effect harmonizes very well with the old walls and the sparse vegetation of weeds in the joints.
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Cryns on 24 Aug 2016, 12:35

Bit by bit it is all going to fit together very well.
Nice water effect and I love the two guys with top hats!
And not to forget the metal rings you used for the boats windows!
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Aug 2016, 16:48

i must make mention of this wonderful fact, a friend made mention of him.

Paulus The Little Wood Gnome,appeared on our first T V,way back in 1959,and i loved the puppet show ,_____________

__________little did i realise though at 9 years old that i would bear an uncanny resemblance to him at 67 years young. How the wheel of time and favour turns.

It is good to realise that funny Bunny Ears,has returned safe from his hol`s.
So thank you kindly Mr . Cryns,for commenting upon the water effect,that happened in way of fluke, a chance happening so to speak, rather than expertize on my part. If anyone knows about water effects it`s you.

These photos are most interesting ,and it is the tow path level that i will incorporate into further scratch building sections that will be longer,than this bridged canal system just finished.
i therefore need railings to run along side the path way`s. :sst: "So in the mean time i am thinking,and thinking!"_____ :mrgreen: " They must be rusty rustic."

:sst: i have an idea,but has anyone ever made railings on the Forum?

From the hot leafy green of Fiddle Wood i bid you all adieu. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Aug 2016, 17:04

Thank you Peter,and stenfalk,there are certainly more waterworks to come in the near future.
The largest one can now proceed, and the longer canal sections will pass through walls on their way to link up tidy-like with it, i hope. Nothing will be perminant, i`m afraid, but doing this type of work gives me added interest as i like a cork in the water bob-along. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 24 Aug 2016, 17:09

Fantastic scratshbuilt project! :notworthy:
Many different substructures involved. :thumbup:
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Aug 2016, 02:53

Thank You Kostis. :thumbup:
Thing`s come along in slow process pretty much like a winding river does,
then suddenly an ending and a new beginning appears.
Things are getting better all the time including me. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 26 Aug 2016, 10:39

I wonder what if 2 boats want to pass that canal in opposite directions at the same time? :eh:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Susofrick on 26 Aug 2016, 11:22

Agree totally with the others! Very nice water! It looks pretty narrow, so I have the same question as Dali (no, not Salvador! The other painter, he with the nappies!), what happens if two boats meet each other? In your channel it is easily solved, you just move one of the boats with your hands, but in real life? Or are they so good at planning that it'll never happen?
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Cryns on 26 Aug 2016, 11:55

Being a born Dutchman I am supposed to know everything about canals, dikes and artificial waterways.

Kekso wrote:I wonder what if 2 boats want to pass that canal in opposite directions at the same time?

Susofrick wrote:what happens if two boats meet each other?

English are very polite people (except when they drunk too much) so normally one of the two boats will wait at the beginning of such aquaduct where there is space to pass each other or swing a boat. Watertraffic rules no doubt decide which side as to wait for the other.

If they did drink too much however, the result will be like this:

Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Aug 2016, 14:05

Very interesting question,
and i suppose like already mentioned upon seeing the short stretch occupied with another narrow boat coming towards you,_____

,_____or even Remco`s Rowboat,one just did the correct thing and waited on the left in line very orderly in the finest British Bristol Fashion, and hummed or sang a song,and upon the level headed pegging out of it all, tipped ones hat to each other with a well worn in smile.

Of course now dealing in a model figure of little plump me on such a stretch of rock hard water,i would raise a cheer as well as my ,tallest tall Topper of a Dickensian Hat. :mrgreen: " Good Day to You",would of course Ring Out!

On the question of THE METAFOR, Mr Triggles Boat,it was indeed likely to be just under the water level,him being a wine gum smuggler in a small way,and it being a midget submarine of unique secret papered and glued up design. So bobbing along in opposite daily style of happy go luckiness ,one could end up most certainly in unluckiness being pushed back to the starting point very much like in that frustrating game of Snakes and Ladders! :mrgreen: BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress