Work in Progress

Ancient Temple

Posted by Phersu on 25 Jul 2016, 21:08

First of all my apologies for not posting much recently, and to everybody for not commenting other threads, I have problems of internet connection at home and uploading take ages, sometimes doesn't work at all. :(

However, after sculpting so many figures it was time to take a pause and do something different... and I decided to try with a very old project which I never started for lack of time.
It was a challenge also because I never casted so big pieces in resin but it works well, so from now on goodbye one-shot models of buildings, and welcome resin copies :mrgreen: while the original master piece which required so much planning and sculpting work remain there where it is, intact! :yeah:

This is just a first temporary assembly test of the main building parts... in a quite unstable way, withot glue :affraid: in fact as you see one column went out of place :eh:
It happened while I was placing the figures to make a comparison of size... of course those famous Atlantic (now Nexus) figures, the same that made me dream about a model of temple since I was a child! And now, at long last soon I will have the temple to put them... :-D but I think I'll sculpt some new original figures instead to use the old Atlantic, as soon as I find the time.

I still have to male the stoneblocks base with stairs, and the front triangle basrelief which will be the funnier thing of all the model. :-D
Besides, this actual temple building is 18 x 21 cm and 9 cm height, with the basement it will be a bit higher.

The walls are sculpted differently on each side: stone blocks on one side and plastered wall on the other, so the model can assembled in two ways to get a different external look.

In future I planned also to make a set of alternative columns with Doric or Ionic capitels, walls and roof decorations, some statues and other accessories and add on to make some variations to represent some particular temples.
a bit at time I'll show the progresses, and when something is ready painted on the galleries too.

And probably I will make other buildings too because it is very fun to sculpt them. :mrgreen:
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Peter on 25 Jul 2016, 21:38

Looks real nice Leo! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by sberry on 27 Jul 2016, 08:05

Hi Phersu,
To be honest, I don't see any pictures here, only the word "Image" is shown in the post.
But I had a look over there at your website, and I really like what I see there! I think you can never have too many buildings (or other accessories) for your figures.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 28 Jul 2016, 17:40

sberry wrote:To be honest, I don't see any pictures here, only the word "Image" is shown in the post.

Me too :(
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Phersu on 28 Jul 2016, 18:03

sberry wrote:Hi Phersu,
To be honest, I don't see any pictures here, only the word "Image" is shown in the post.
But I had a look over there at your website, and I really like what I see there! I think you can never have too many buildings (or other accessories) for your figures.

Thank you!

Let's try again with the front basrelief which I just finished... but this time I put also the links of the page and the images below, in case something doesn't work. :sweatdrop:

https://sites.google.com/site/phersumin ... t-releases

From Paul....This link is to a log in..I´ve disabled it ;-)
https://0f7034f7-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.goo ... wYK4c29sP-

And... sorry for the images... I thought it worked, despite it took ages to appair I can see the images...does anybody else can see the images?
It took nearly tre quarters hour to post those few images and the text, and 5 minutes to open the page again and check.... worst than with a 56k modem, bloody faulty connection! :mad: ....misterious paradox of my faulty connection!
(sorry for this off-topic relief) :eh:
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Paul on 28 Jul 2016, 19:51

Phersu wrote:Let's try again with the front basrelief which I just finished... but this time I put also the links of the page and the images below, in case something doesn't work. :sweatdrop:

Take this;
https://sites.google.com/site/phersumin ... ne%201.jpg?attredirects=0
and take off the dark marked letters to get this;
https://sites.google.com/site/phersumin ... ne%201.jpg
add [img] to the start
and[/img] to the end and the Picture appears .... ;-)

PS..I´ve altered the previous post so the pics appear ;-)
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Phersu on 31 Jul 2016, 00:17

Paul wrote:PS..I´ve altered the previous post so the pics appear ;-)

Thank you Paul! :yeah:
I hope to remember how to do it and avoid mistakes next time... I assumed that if I see the images in the preview and the post it automatically would mean that all the others can see the images too. :eh:

This never happened with images from Photobucket, strange that images from Google sites doesn't work the same, I never understood much of those "images source codes"... however when I'll get the internet connetcion fixed I think I'll better start to use images uploaded on Photobucket so there won't be problems anymore! :winky:
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Jul 2016, 00:32

Posting for the first time is share frantic frustration to many. i can remember it being my case quite vividly!
Your Temple is a certainty to be liked by many in the hobby, and so gets the thumbs up from me. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Phersu on 03 Aug 2016, 20:20

I finished the basement and the stairs too, and finally casted all the 18 of the temple! :sweatdrop: :occasion:

It's still a temporary assembly without glue, but I couldn't wait to see the complete model... :oops:

In the next days I will start to paint the interiors and some parts before the final assembly.

Then a bit at time will follow some figures and accessories like some altars and statues... and add on sets of alternative columns and different wall and roof decorations... to complete the scenery and allow different versions of the same base temple.

I still have problem with internet connection (it took more than a half hour to update my website just with these four small images! :eh:
and I hope to post them right here this time! :mrgreen:

I don't know if I'll get to post some more images and updates, otherwise eventually I'll show the temple painted in the galleries when is finished. ;-)
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Alex on 03 Aug 2016, 20:43

. Very good ! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: Leo and interiors you will show in what way there is section through?
Alex  Russia

Posted by Susofrick on 04 Aug 2016, 08:16

Missed this! Looking very nice!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Kekso on 04 Aug 2016, 08:40

If that's all resin it must weight a lot. I like it a lot and looking forward to see it painted.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by sberry on 04 Aug 2016, 10:22

Wow! Even though it was hard job to upload the pics - it was really worth the effort. This model looks like a must-have, even though I have done something similiar as a scratch built model. Usually I don't do the same topic twice, but here I have to make an exception.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Phersu on 04 Aug 2016, 14:56

Thank you my friends! :-D

Alex wrote:. Very good ! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: Leo and interiors you will show in what way there is section through?

Well, as you see actually there are no interiors... at least not yet.
They will come a bit at time, as soon as I have time to do them, like all the accessories and add ons mentined above. ;-)

Fot this first model I thought to something which however will be ready much quicker :winky:
I will draw some templates to represent decorations and frescos, which can be printed on paper, cutted from the sheet and pasted in the inner walls directly... eventually also on further inner sections, as it's just a matter to cut a square of cardboard of the right size to add inner walls.
When ready I will put them as free downloaded on my website!

I reduced the parts and structures of this first model to the minimal necessary, to keep the cost at the minimal too... after all at the moment is just a first experiment, which i will cast only on request by myself, with all the limits of the home made castings without professional machinery.

Kekso
If that's all resin it must weight a lot. I like it a lot and looking forward to see it painted.

Indeed, but less than how it may look... it's less than 500 grams! ;-)
That's another reason why I didin't made inner walls or other sections apart from those visible from outside.

I managed to keep the weight low casting most parts just 2 or 3 millimeters thick, the 4 main walls are just 5 mm thick...

And the basement especially, which is the biggest piece, is not all compact but almost empty underneath... with a very trycky casting I managed get a layer of resin 2-3 millimeters thick.
It was not difficult but took almost one hour to cast just the base, however work perfectly to reduce the weight a lot.

Casting thinner parts reduced also the heating developed from large amounts of resin when hardening too, allowing better casting quality and making the molds life longer! :winky:
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Peter on 07 Aug 2016, 14:55

Looks real nice! :shock: :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Phersu on 08 Aug 2016, 20:51

Thenk you Peter! ;-)

Last update before post in the galleries.

It just need some more washes for shading, and perhaps some strokes of drybrush to highlit the upper corners... then I'll definitely fix the roof and columns, which are still just placed without glue.

I know, the basrelief looked much nicer unpainted... but in that way it would be historically wrong. :(
We are used to see unpainted statues and basreliefs today, but in ancient times apparently all (or at least most) statues and basreliefs were painted, they used to like garish showy bright things. :eh:
In this case I tried to give the appearance of partly faded discolored colors, washed away from the rain and bleached from the sun... to keep a slight impression of the look of a plain basrelief underneath, instead than the bright naive stile as it probably had in reality, probably much like very badly painted toysoldiers. :xd:
So this is an attempt to compromise between realism and good looking, and I hope that with some washes it will look better for our modern taste. 8)
However it's just a matter of choice to paint the basrelief or not, like the columns in two colors, after no one temple were erected in just one day and a basrelief could remain still to be painted for a while, or loose the paint after some time and remain that way for a while. ;-)

And here are the inner walls and the decorations sheet I mentioned.
I cut and add two rectangle of cardboard to create three different rooms.

Then I draw and print those walls decorations on paper, cut the stripes and glue them onto the internal walls. (of course it's easier if done before to assembly the walls, instead than when the walls are already glued together).

Finally I simply paint white the rest of the internal stone walls, they will be not visible but the white will give more light at the interiors, reflecting the little light entering from the doors when the roof will be assembled and the ceiling closed.

I just had a new idea! :-D
It would be nice and relatively simple to put some mini lamps inside to simulate the light of braziers and/or torches, especially when I will make also some statues and altars to put inside... it's just a matter of drilling some holes in the basement, and ther's already plenty of room for the batteries underneath! :winky:
Perhaps I'll do it in one of the next of these temples, at least I have to make the version with the esternal stonewalls. :thumbup:
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 08 Aug 2016, 21:34

I really like it Leo! The painting of the relief in bright colors and the walls in red and white goes very well together! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by stenfalk on 08 Aug 2016, 21:53

Phersu,

this is a work very detailed and fine. It gives an excellent impression on the architecture of this time. I am grateful to be able to pursue the development here. Thank you... :thumbup:
stenfalk  Germany

Posted by DickerThomas on 09 Aug 2016, 07:00

Hi Leonardo, :P

this looks great ... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by Alex on 09 Aug 2016, 07:31

Excellent, Leo! :yeah: :yeah:
I also like to always see what is inside !!!
While painting (very beautiful), unusual for the eyes. Because ever seen before only pure rock I know that it all paints, including sculpture ..... Nevertheless, the work is great. :yeah:
Alex  Russia

Next page

Return to Work in Progress