Tutorials

The Rubber Mould

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jun 2016, 07:11

Yes a darn good spot on Line to be happy that's for sure Bluefalchion. :thumbup:

Gunnar,thanks for your support Buddy!
Mrs B,saw the Lego Board,second hand on Line and bought it for me.
It`s the little things in married life that are most pleasing,
that and giving her free range of a jointbank account that is.
She gets lots of real good expensive walking boots ,
well she dog walks about 48 miles a week,
and i who cannot walk get a good looking Lego board. :-D i`m happy!

if one had to give up one thing in the hobby what would it be?
Sadly in lifes circumstances making choices like that are not possible.
We can do ,or not be able to do.

Thankfully with my overactive mind i can still write my latest book,and work upon it daily.

Doing writing and this open ended topic and other creative odd-ball stuff has certainly helped me battle with the overpowering effects of Post-traumatic stress disorder, that put paid to me being able to paint figures. I`ve been victim to it now for over five months and it is a battle that I cannot win but Mrs B,has helped me do lots of other things besides painting figures. The railway room newly set up and running is mainly down to her great helpful efforts not mine,and she puts up with all the mess i make daily and helps clear it up for me.

As Beano Boy,i get to laugh and have fun here and on my Blog, :-D
but behind every educated clown is a face few ever get a chance to see.
My Mrs B,gets to see it 24/7 and she copes with it all without one word of compliant.
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 30 Jun 2016, 07:22

We are happy to have you here! And what you say is very true, behind every clown there's another darker side. That we only can hint glimpses of. :thumbup: And joint bankaccount is the thing! :thumbup: We also have the same bank account, in that way we don't have to deal with "your money-my money" it's all our money. :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Cryns on 30 Jun 2016, 10:00

Dear Beano Boy,

First of all tell your wife: the Dutch Guy With The Funny Ears thinks she is A WONDERFUL WOMAN!

BB, it took me a while to understand what problems you are facing day by day. I think around the time I joined Benno's Forum I missed one of your posts in which you told our members about your PTSS. The first hint I noticed was your hands were shaking so you could not paint properly anymore. But now I understand you have difficulties with walking too! Suddenly it is clear to me why you spend so much time at home, building and writing (like we all do) but in an excessive way. Now I know it is not your choice but its the fate of life leaving you up with doing nothing at all or doing things you like to do when staying at home. I am glad your wife is supporting you.

Gunnar, didn't I read somewhere you are a little bit in the opposite position? You are the one that is walking the dogs while your wife is in a wheelchair?

Beano Boy, did you write somewhere in this forum what is the cause of your PTSS?

Take care good man!
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Susofrick on 30 Jun 2016, 11:16

Well, yes, she is in wheelchair because of MS. She's working halftime so I take the walks in the morning and she's got an electric moped and takes the walks during the day and in the evening we take them together. The moped goes 10 km/h and 30 km before it has to be reloaded so I get a lot of walking in my legs. No, we don't walk 30 km the same walk, acually just about 12 km is a good dogwalk. And our dog demands that we bring coffee, so after about 7-8 km we take a coffeebreak. :-) And here is a picture of my boss, deciding if it is a good dio or a bad: http://gataskog.blogspot.se/2012/02/wild-west-dio.html
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Jul 2016, 02:12

This is my marked styrene sheet.

It`s much bigger than i need but nothing will be waisted.

A tense moment of cutting out the sections needed.

It should look fine with a new top,but i need to take another small section out.

Just right,and using a model bus gives the correct height to the wall. Now I believe in showing mistakes but nothing I can`t put right. Two pieces are to be glued onto the rising columns and a cocktail stick will strengthen each one too. This action of strengthening these upright sections was in the plan anyway and will allow for the pressing in stage to be rigid enough to get a good result.

So here can be seen the cut-out where the metal bridge will span the gap.
The final scribing will be next to do and then the Pattern can be pushed into the rubber mould and levelled off.
i`ve not been able to do much work on this pattern but there`s no hurried rush.
I only need one pattern because the mould will produce multi purpose castings that can be turned around and can be used to make 1 to 2 or 3 to 4 overhead railway lines.
Looking at the photo with the work-crew gives good insight on how many rails were being laid on top of those structures with a space between each one.

Well that's the plans coming together so far. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Jul 2016, 04:12

LETS CALL THIS AN INTERLUDE?

There are many ways to produce first class top of the range castings,
but perhaps this is not part of this topic that will. I`ll let you all be the judge of that. As for myself i never intended perfection just fair to good. BB

As can be seen on You Tube and on my Blog, i am walking wounded ,well a shuffle really like a Penguin, in Long Bottom Beano Castle,but cannot manage walking outside because it is not level.It might seem odd but i get land sick,its like being seasick but not as bad.
Thankfully many years ago there was a window of opportunity where my health allowed me free range for the first time in my life. i had,had many an adventure before in my life but by far these were the funniest and best of them all. We were able to level off the garden pathways and built patio`s and a raised deck area that reaches up high above the roof of our extension. Although i need to cut three new steps to access the deck i have a power tool that will take care of that little job,and another that will screw them into place. With all the birds nesting in the five little gardens around our place and now re-nesting again that little job was put on hold.We enjoy seeing the birds and have no great wish to disturb them they are all our little friends throughout each year.

17 years ago we created this tiny garden,and with not having much money then we bought the tiniest plants we could afford for this evergreen garden with a Lion Feature and tiny pool. Now they are fighting to get out of this tiny space. i always had a minds eye in view of such a place.
i never thought i`d design it and create it with my Mrs B. but we did it.

The stone balls were dug up and were slung by Roman Siege Artillery long ago. Five are in the Norwich Castle,and we kindly donated them,and after the well chuffed guys took them away for public viewing,we bought a few more cheap plastic beach balls filled them with concrete and made some more. So that's my tip for buying very cheap moulds to produce a cheap garden feature.

Being an Engineer i designed four of these to create archways leading to each garden and each were very different from one another. i said to Mrs B,"Up is free so we`ll use it." They were bolted together with our own fair hands. it took 7 years to create the five gardens surrounding our place.Having one project a year to do in each summer as it came around.
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 01 Jul 2016, 08:03

I've seen parts of it before and it looks so HUUUUGE. But that's the way magic works. To get the eye to see something else. Very nice garden!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Jul 2016, 07:50

Thanks Gunnar.
I suppose this would or could belong comfy in style on questions,but i am dealing with rubber moulds here so here it stays.
It has just hit me that perhaps i will make a rubber mould to produce narrow boats because i have a longer area board on which to work now._______________ This sort of odd style pattern making out of styrene could be extended further and used for producing Pirate ships cast up in homemade resin. i have formulated my own stuff,but prefure to keep that closed up in my treasure chest for now.
Often i see 28mm figures on such shipping on war gamers sites and for the most parts they are rather crude in style and need extra modelling skills to drill out and add a mast rigging and sail. Most are rather small and seem to come via trade with the U S A, but mounted guns look way to large for these boats! Yes lets call them boats. So if one is wanting Boats ,Pirates & Guns ,it seems that making your own wider larger boat moulds and casting your own is well worth thinking about. Here i am not talking about making to scale model boats,however how others wish to refer to them after working with beautiful style upon them is of course their very own choice.

( i am certainly not suggesting one copies and recasts for sale. No i would certainly not do that and most members knowing my views upon such things would i`m sure believe me upon this point of copyright law. )

Making styrene patterns and rubber moulds is aimed at fellows who want to raise the bar and cast a few up for their own use,and perhaps pass a few on to others and the small cost and the work intailed could therefore be shared. The process set down on how to make the moulds has been well set into place on other topics of mine,including the two part mould which would be required for both my narrow boats and any other kind of vessel too. So i will not be dealing with that again here. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Jul 2016, 14:54

Using The Old Paper Card Tunnel As a Pattern
To Make The Inner Brickwork For The New Canal Tunnels

Today Sunday,saw me quite busy making stuff. One and a Half hours and it was all finished and the mess cleared up before Mrs B,arrived home from the first dog-walk.

When i made these i raised every brick by P V A Glue and it tooks hours and hours to achieve a good brick pattern,and now all that work is going to pay off big time.

Cheap Cooking Oil brush on will act as a Separating Agent so the rubber will not stick and tear as it is later removed.

A Piece of Polystyrene pined over the Entrance. Then infilled the entire thing with rubber.
Here the pins have just been removed.

It`s the facing pattern that will count, and this rough and ready look will not make the slightest difference to the casting that will be removed later.

Here`s the other mould the Pattern was pushed into the mix this method avoids trapped air bubbles.

One tiny dot of paint can be viewed.
A piece of card either end will complete the mould and make it ready to cast up.The plaster will be brushed on very much the same as i did the face castings a few weeks ago. This mould will be used within Archways of my medieval bridge that i put on pause a year or so ago. There will three arches in that design. That and everything else will be great fun.

This has saved me tons scribing out work.

Now a good soak in Bubbles and_____
hopefully i will cast them up tomorrow. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Jul 2016, 14:09

The mould is set up with card making the sides. Plaster added.

The end cards were removed.
The middle section cut out allowed the mould to flex,and the casting was removed.

So the inner brickwork is simply formed and this illustration show the tunnels are to be formed with the canal passing through on the layout. The tops will eventually be landscaped over.

Still lots more to come . See You Later BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 04 Jul 2016, 20:35

Looks fantastic again Paul! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Jul 2016, 22:32

Thanks Peter. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Cryns on 06 Jul 2016, 09:31

Dear Beano Boy.

I am following you process step by step. I hope you manage to continue and finish this one and not switch to other subjects too many times in between, though I know this will be a very large project altogether.
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jul 2016, 05:26

The first moulds made in this open ended topic, delivered good sound castings for future fantasy topics. Mainly for use as props for future story`s that emotively will be set out in style to create illusion.
Waiting for that end they are shelved ready for when I wish to use them.

The requirement set out by the Title has exceeded even my expectations, and making moulds for my use has gone way beyond what i thought it would or could. By this i do not imply that it is good work,but that it is good for me with very limited skills to hand now.

i will try to explain This Pathway To An End, in order to fully explain a New Beginning Elsewhere.

The Rubber Mould, changed direction on the 8th of June this year 2016,and it has expanded as indeed have my ideas, and you are perfectly right Mr.Cryns, it is a large project and it is constantly ongoing.

"The Rubber Mould ",is and has been designed whereby universal castings can be made for my 14 x 7 foot railway layout.

i often write more than one style of story in the course of a day, but eventually upon reaching a fitting ending both covers are closed up upon such things. Meaning as this topic closes. Then construction could start and each piece will hopefully go up quick smart and in hardly any time at all.

My List cannot simply be bought from the high street or on Line,and quickly assembled and painted,because it is not in my nature to accept what is on offer, or work in that way.

1. The parts required to make my canal tunnels and culvets are all made.
2. The parts required for my railway tunnels are all made.
3. The last mould designed and made,has produced five different castings,
and all the stone parts required for my first railway bridge are all made.
Although i might only need one or perhaps two of any one item built ,i always make many more then i need.Why ? Because i`m crazy ,and it helps me get through my day. :-D

Plans are afoot to make moulds for another few structures,
and once the parts have all been stock piled ,
then both back and front covers will be closed upon this odd rustic Topic,The Rubber Mould,
because yes it has met with all the requirements applicable to its Title.

Thank you Mr Cryns for voicing your comment. :thumbup:
It has felt good to try and friendly explain my pathway to a hoped for finish. :-D

:mrgreen: "He he he! BB,started work on his railway layout 11 years ago."

:read: "That`s very True!"___ :cowboy: " It Sure is Book Worm!"

:coffee: " Very True Guys,But i have so much to read my way through. And drinking lots of hot sweet Tea takes so much time.Mrs B,is making me two cups at a time now. Because she bought a special blend." ;-) ____ZIP!_______ " Off i go to the toilet again!"

It`s 05:22 in the morning and yes another night has been spent on what i love to do____Write! :-D
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jul 2016, 21:53

The Mould Produced Nine Different Castings.
This was achieved by cutting up the pattern and plugging up parts of the mould that were not needed.
In this way I utilized the little mould in order to make universal castings that would fit elsewhere and this avoided making extra moulds for left and right sided castings that I need.

I hope that all this makes sense? :-D

Above is plan A: A Single Rail Bridge. The ruler shows the direction of the overhead rails.

Above plan B: Shows a possibility of a double track bridge.but only shows parts making up one side of the bridge.

Above shows possibilities of a triple rail structure using a left and right sided wall with the centre section.This is not planed on my layout,but is a good option to be considered here.

Above plan C: Shows castings with extended stone columns being used so a much longer stretch of metal top can have something extra to anchor onto at the far end.

Imagination is the key to this setup and looking at the photos these structures could also be used for a raised canal which would certainly look especially magic! :-D

Well all my castings are finished for the bridge,and now the metal top needs designing, cutting out and constructing.

The top section will be similar to the one above. See you guys later :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Cryns on 08 Jul 2016, 12:02

Beano Boy wrote:It`s 05:22 in the morning

When do you sleep?

Beano Boy wrote:Mrs B,is making me two cups at a time now.

Is she a night owl too?

Beano Boy wrote:Why ? Because i`m crazy

Well, to be honest, I am glad to see you are not that crazy and your brain still functions surprisingly well, since you have been creating a multi-purpouse building system for train, road and canal as well, for both the H0 and 1:72 scale.
It was a clever idea to cast the basic part being a section of wall with brick pillars left and right. The variations are endless.

You can mass produce this and sell it to scale train and urban modelers.

I am particularly fascinated by the aquaduct canal, part of your project but also treated in another of your topics. I have seen those in my tourist guide for England. It had very colorful boats in it and I have seen some of these boats you already made.
Your picture of the real canal shows a 'golden spitfire'. Why is that?
Cryns  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Jul 2016, 14:45

Well Mr Cyrns the aircraft in question is fixed upon the rudder of a real narrow boat making its way across an aqueduct somewhere in England. A snapshot showing very little else but the length of water behind it,but i found interest in it because of the scratch-building side of the hobby,
and so i used it to show the share Spartan Simplicity of it all.
i often work by old photo`s because they emotively inspire me rather than pictures upon boxes.

i do like to teach and give away modelling ideas freely.
At 67,i am comfy off and fully satisfied living on my two Pensions,
one that long ago i actually bleed to get.
i write the odd copyright prose down in another expressive art-form,
and by doing so i render to Caesar quite enough taxes now.

Upon that bright morning mentioned,i was fast asleep by 5.30 am,
and up wide awake for the Mailman at 9.15 am.
Always lots of mail to be delivered and other stuff left.
We take in all packages for those who live on the courtyard because in this time of social change both parties in a household it seems have to work to keep the roof over their heads,and food upon the table.

Often is the case i write throughout the night it is a peaceful time of quite solitude and while doing it i get to listen to the night Owls in the wood just beyond the boundary of our little place.
Likewise i used to paint,but a good wise friend on this Forum, kindly mentioned that i would have more time now for other things. So being a slave to no Bank or Whom Ever, i do as i please,and being able to is a great comfit to me.

There you go a snippet of my day. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Jul 2016, 14:49

Opp`s! A double photo shown!

This is the other photo that should have been placed.

Above shows the Pattern with the metal section in place.
This is shown as an illustration only.
The brand new scratch building programme of the upper section will actually show girders spanning the gap and supporting the railway lines,or whatever I chose to place on top.

Hope To See You Soon. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jul 2016, 12:35

Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Jul 2016, 14:00

THE GIRDER
MADE IN THE SHAPE OF A PUSHED OVER H

:mrgreen: "There were figures involved,but they were used to figure this out." :( !_ :-D H!

i did a short sample girder using paper card just to refresh my memory on how i actually did it last time.
:read: " THAT WAS YONK`S AGO!"________ :cowboy: " Yip Pard`s BB,is quite ancient!"

"That`s very true after all i do remember the Dark Ages!
When Mom, had no Silver Shilling to put in the Light!" ____ :shock: " Darkness! That`s Darn Scary!"

OK!_______________ Lets begin in the middle!

The card is fixed together with P V A Glue, at the centre point of the bottom strip.

The top is stuck on.

Used the Square to make sure it was laying flat and _____ well square! :thumbup: "Yip! That`ll do BB."

Any glue was whipped away using a piece of card to scrape along the inside edge, and that left a tidy neat job.
Painted with enamel paint this girder section will be very strong,and will look like a girder when in place under say a railway bridge.

However i looked at lots more photo`s and realised i don`t need to make any girders up at all, silly me! ;-)

Well i thought i`d show a few shots of the work involved anyway.
Distracted while listening to Mrs B,
Opp`s! i pressed the wrong button and the first few shots were posted by any typing danced upon the page.
:mrgreen: " What a twit!"

i will be making girders up bridge-wise on another topic.
So being familiar with it again will be of help.

:read: "That sounds very interesting BB." :-D " Well time will tell on that score i suppose Book Worm."

See you guys later :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials