General

Profile foto

Posted by dykio on 22 Feb 2016, 15:01

Hi Guys,

I just had an idea :shock: when looking at one of our members profilefoto. Wouldn't it be a nice idea to tell something about the reason we use a particular profile foto.
So here's mine:

The photo is from an autor :coffee: who sadly passed away a long time ago :( . He gave us just a couple of books but imho these were (and stil are) the basis of every fantasy book that has been written since then :notworthy: .
When i was 13 or 14 i read the first small "intro" into his big work and i fell in love. :love: :love:
And when i read his masterpiece i became edicted to these books.
And they still are an inspiration for me today and the main reason i was drawn into this hobby.
And for those who still haven't guessed of whom i am talking.... it is offcourse the author of the Hobbit and The Lord of the rings J.R.R. Tolkien :yeah:

So who's next?
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Susofrick on 22 Feb 2016, 15:50

Nice idea. I have an actor who also passed away a long time ago. He was a big hero for me, at least in the only series I had seen him in. It wasn't the same when they put another guy in the same role. Since he's not as famous as dykio's author I'll put a little link:

Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ben90 on 22 Feb 2016, 16:06

I like the Idea as well! But my profile foto does not have any deeper sense... Just a figure I have painted some time ago :-)
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Emperor on 22 Feb 2016, 16:53

I putted Dali's painting on my profile photo...Guess that profile photo gives some imppresion about the one who put it on profile, but than meeting person in real life gives a whole new perspective...Except if person didn't put it's real life photo...
Emperor  

Posted by Kekso on 22 Feb 2016, 18:26

I can't give you rational explanation why I chose my profile avatar, sorry :-D
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 22 Feb 2016, 18:47

Mine is from Wellington! When I joined the forum I picked this picture because I'm a big fan from him. and how he won the battle of Waterloo.
My other avatar, on my blog, is from Sean Bean, better known as Sharpe. I just love those books and movies! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by sberry on 22 Feb 2016, 19:17

My avatar is from a photo I took in the church of San Giacomo during my first trip to Rome (which will be exactly 25 years ago this fall – strange how quick the years pass by).
I had to take this pic in a dark church without tripod (because I had none) or flash (because I would never use a flash in a place like this). So I was quite surprised how good it came out (explanation for the younger people here: this is an anecdote from an era before you had all these fancy digital cameras which can make photographs under almost any conditions).
sberry  Germany

Posted by santifernandez on 22 Feb 2016, 19:37

My avatar is my picture of me, I thought it to be an international forum can be a good way to know .... a party that is a nice photo that I do not usually smiled often does.
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by vellek on 22 Feb 2016, 22:54

New York has many great professional sports teams, and I chose the logo of my most favorite: the New York Football Giants.

ps. That would be "American" Football to most of you. ;-)
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Sho on 23 Feb 2016, 07:25

I have only a short time on the Earth.
Sho  Estonia

Posted by MABO on 23 Feb 2016, 23:13

My avatar is a picture of Commander Adama, from the new Battlestar Galactica series, that I really love. It is far better than the old one from the 70th, because it has more complex story. I really was hooked, so It was my first thought when entering the forum. The actor is Edward James Olmos.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 24 Feb 2016, 04:49

Do I have an avatar? Can't remember. I always look at the forum on my mobile now. Hee hee!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Kekso on 24 Feb 2016, 08:54

Bluefalchion wrote:Do I have an avatar? Can't remember.

No, you don't have it 8)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Cryns on 24 Feb 2016, 13:01

This man is wearing my first name, translated to Dutch.
He was Napoleons brother and the very first king of Holland: Louis Bonaparte.
He is wearing the white uniform of Napoleons 3th Regiment of Imperial Guard Grenadiers.

Louis was a good king and took his new job very serious.
But his brother gave him little space to rule in his own way, his wife left him, she returned to France, he was a lonely man in a strange country and the Dutch ridiculed him. So he was a very tragic person.

Somebody gave him these ears. That is because he very badly wanted to speak Dutch. But for him it was difficult to make the difference between the word koning and konijn. So during his first public speech to the Dutch he said:
'I am your rabbit' in stead of: 'I am your king'.
The people on the Amsterdam square in front of his palace laughed at him.
I still feel sorry for the guy.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Marvin on 24 Feb 2016, 14:18

As a boy, I was always a huge fan of the Beau Geste book and really enjoyed the BBC TV series of the novel when it was screened in the 80s. I collected some of the Britains figures around this time. So, I think that maybe a FFL figure seemed appropriate as an avatar.

My avatar is simply one of the Esci French Foriegn Legion figures that I painted about the time I joined the forum. I was quite pleased with this early attempt and even took a photo of the three "Geste brothers" (John, Digby and Beau) here;

But the subject of my avatar I originally identified as being the evil and sadistic Sergeant Lejaune! :shock:

...And my name isn't actually Marvin btw. Marvin is my fat cat's name! :mrgreen:

Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 24 Feb 2016, 15:57

My avatar is the yet-to-be-based general of my DBA Roman army; meant to be Gaius Julius Caesar? Uhm......maybe

Mr. Andrea  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Emperor on 25 Feb 2016, 01:00

Nice cat Marvin...I really am fan of cats and dogs...
Anyway we can also use this topic to discuss nicknames...For example Emperor...Napoleon was Emperor, Palpatine is fictional Emperor, we here also had one, and so on... Speaking of Palpatine, we made a little joke out of the Monty Payton song ,,Always look on the bright side of life...'' In Palpatine and Darth Vader case it is ,,Always look on the dark side of life...'' with Monty Payton song melody played similar as Imperial March...
Emperor  

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 25 Feb 2016, 15:02

Well mine is a well known cartoon character. Well I like the old western movies and yes I like cartoon movies. so that is why.
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Posted by Acid on 04 Mar 2016, 16:00

Well Dykio.... I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen......so......bite my shiny metal arse!
Acid  Netherlands

Posted by Dad's Army on 04 Mar 2016, 16:42

Well of course I took Captain Mainwaring, from one of my favorite British Television series.
The serie is called "Dad's Army" and that was the main reason to take my nickname.
A lot of Army figures here on Benno's forum, and since I am Benno's father...
That's why ;-)

Ohw and if you don't know Captain Mainwaring, more info here

And here some British humor...
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Next page

Return to General