Modelling

basing WW2 vehicles

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Nov 2015, 14:56

Sadly, having nary a SYW figure to paint (hint, hint HaT), I dug out my 20 mm WW2 collection for some needed re-furbishment.

The late war German, Soviet, British & US forces haven't seen a wargames' table for at least 2 and a half years, sad to say.

At any rate, although the figures are based in 2s & 3s for Blitz Krieg Commander, the various vehicles, from motorcycle & side car to Tiger tank have always stood proud, without any basing.

I've decided to change this & am working my way through the collection adding bases, cut slightly larger than the vehicle & being suitably "terrained" with Vallejo Earth mixture & the usual flocking & static grass etc.

I must admit I like it. The smaller vehicles look more significant & the even the larger are nicely set off by their bases. Clearly they're easy to handle & will store a little more neatly.

Do you base your vehicles?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 09 Feb 2016, 22:54

Yep I do base my models. It gives then a little vignette feeling, and it helps to hide some mistakes made or missing parts.
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Posted by Fire at Will on 10 Feb 2016, 08:05

No, it looks completely wrong when on different terrain to the basing, plus they take up more room in storage.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Mário on 10 Feb 2016, 21:15

I agree 100% with Fire at Will. I only base guns and machine guns that are too brittle to handle.
But this is a matter of taste.
Regards
Mário  Portugal

Posted by C M Dodson on 11 Feb 2016, 09:17

Hello. I personally like wheels and tracks to operate in the same manner as the originals but perhaps I am lucky to have a sand table. Any vehicle that Is based, ie a resin type I try to remove as much of the base as possible.

The projects such as ' The Russians are coming' are fantastic little vignettes but I would have difficulty positioning them in houses. Personally I find it a little weird seeing blocks of troops perched on house roofs like so many pidgeons.

However, it is up to the individual and as stated mounted units are easier to use on the wargame table and although taking up more storage space are easier to store.

Happy modelling,
Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Green Tiger on 01 Apr 2016, 10:54

Nah - can't be bothered - they look OK without and they take up less room...
Green Tiger  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by zirrian on 01 Aug 2016, 13:43

Fire at Will wrote:No, it looks completely wrong when on different terrain to the basing, plus they take up more room in storage.

A tank based for Normandy would work well in Germany too...you wouldn't use it in the Battle of Ardennes as they have no winter camo, likewise for the desert. And I guess you base everything else, infantry, guns, cavalry...they'd look off in different terrain too.

I started basing my tanks too, and I like the way it looks.

zirrian  Hungary

Return to Modelling