Work in Progress

Polyphemus Giant Cyclopes

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Jan 2016, 02:31

Odysseus and his men are lost at sea.

After coming upon an island,the boat was secured and most of the well armed Greeks set out to search for food and fresh water. Lucky for them they also carried heavy wine skins. Finally Odysseus and his men had waited in a cave in order to trade the wine for food with whoever lived there,but had eaten the cheese belonging to its owner. Greeks seem to take what they want and behave like Pirates. However as sheep are driven into the cave what appears is the sheepherder a Giant Cyclopes who enters the cave and then rolls a huge stone across the only entrance and way out.
They are all trapped. Polyphemus the Son of Poseidon is angry to find men eating his food. So after introducing himself the Cyclopes sits down. He then catches and eats one of Odysseus men. Biting off the good bits he likes best,and throws down what`s left of the legs.Then sitting there he picks his teeth with the tiny Greek sword the poor fellow had carried.Horrified the Greeks realize their fate.
Odysseus introduces himself as Nobody fearing the Cyclopes might recognize his real name. Then laughing he urges the Giant to sip the wine. "Wine! Whats Wine?" Polyphemus asks out in his demanding load voice." It is the Drink of the Gods." Odysseus answers,and beckons his men to ply the Cyclopes with the sweet wine.

As a flute is played the soothing music flows upon each gentle breath.After much wine had been gulped down by Polyphemus ,he falls to sleep being quite full of Vintage Trojan wine.
( Spoils of war. )
With his men now wanting to kill the Cyclopes, Odysseus calms them down with a question. " If you kill him ,who will roll away the stone so we can escape?" Some leap upon the chance to move the massive stone,but cannot. Others try too. All fail. They could never,ever move such a stone. Odysseus,as ever has a plan. Fetching a large length of wood ,a pole that lay in the cave,a spike was hacked out in its pointed shape by a sharp Greek sword. Soon Odysseus,in the lead followed by a handful of his men manhandle and maneuver themselves with this stake up above on the rock face ,over looking the head of this man eater. Upon a split second as the Greeks plunge downward with the spike,Polypemus opens his eye. It was far to late,as it was driven in .The darkness and blinding pain made the Cyclopes roll about in agony. Pulling out this wooden stake,he cried out for his Brothers to come help him. Rolling the large stone away from the entrance he howled out, "Nobody,has blinded me.Come help me my Brothers." It appeared to all now that there were others of this kind. With the way open now the sheep began running out,and one by one the blind Cyclopes fingered and felt out each and every one that now passed between his legs. One Greek tried to escape by holding a sheep over his head and body,but was blindly found out,but slipping the gropping fingers he manage to scramble out to freedom. Screaming he fled in the direction of the boat. The last of the sheep now out of the cave ran in all directions. Polyphemus blinded ,with blood a plenty pouring from his eye socket,cried out,"I`m blind! Blind! But I`ll eat everyone of you."

Now upon his hands and knees he blocked the way out. The Greeks,were still trapped with no way of avoiding the searching out of giant fingers. It now fell upon the courage and self sacrifice of the gentle Flute Player,as he enticed the blind Polyphemus to seek him out with load sounding notes. As those giant hands finally found him the last defiant note slipped out as the fingers , thumbs and teeth tore him apart. Behind the Cyclopes a gap had appeared just enough for the other Greeks to escape.

Seizing the oppertunity of escape all ran for their lives,knowing that The blind Cyclopes would follow on best that he could behind them. As they were nearing the boat Odysseus shouted out to the men on board to shift out the oars and make ready to sail. Jumping frantically on board each grabbed an oar,and soon pulled the boat away to sea. Hearts racing,but with heads of relief they rowed for all their worth. As they eyed the cliff tops of the island they were pulling away from ,the blinded Polyphemus came into view upon the highest point.

Polyphemus stands upon the cliff overlooking the sea. However being blinded he has to rely upon his hearing. As Odysseus and his men escape on board their boat they shout out insults to Polyphemus which is nearly their downfall ,because he hurls huge rocks after them that crash into the sea around the boat sending giant plumes of water sky wards.

As we leave the exhausted oarsmen slumped over their oars who now sail away upon a good wind to whatever adventure may await them next. This is the end of the Story of Polyphemus Giant Cyclopes.

Written entirely by BB

Finally Friends
Work in Progress

As you have seen i bought the Cyclopes.
The first thing i did was to make the plastic base. I used Green-Stuff,and rolled and shaped it,and then used the rubber end of a pencil to form it in the required direction of my fancy. "A good tool to use",i made mention of it to Mrs B. The sticky stuff does not stick to the rubber end.No skill needed just a pencil.
The next job is to paint him. A wonderful thing i have not much talent for,but in line with the story i will have a good stab at it. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 22 Jan 2016, 10:14

Good luck with the painting Paul! It looks like a very big piece.
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Jan 2016, 14:36

He`s only 9 cm high from foot to the top of his head. I expect the camera will create the illusion of this man eating Giant. Thanks for commenting Peter.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 22 Jan 2016, 17:23

Can you show us a pictures with a 1/72 figure aside?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Jan 2016, 19:35

Mrs B,made the comment that he looked like a footballer throwing the ball in.

Some special conversion to the eye needs doing because it would have bubbled up and oozed out after being poked out. Yuck! I have thought of a good way to achieve this special effect without cutting the eye out.

23mm Strelets

1/72 Figures from antiquity would be perfect in line with the story. I have Atlantic figures that are slightly smaller than those shown.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 22 Jan 2016, 21:03

Now you are teasing me! All 1/72 figures would have been good, but Strelets Bonus figures! Aaarrrgggh!

Thank you for the comparison! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jan 2016, 05:18

Having two has ment that i can have one with a complete eye___________and Poor Polyphemus with his eye ripped to pieces.
A slight conversion has been carried out that will show the damage.
i should finish these off some time today.
The Dark Brown is a base colour. So high lights and washes can now be applied. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 25 Jan 2016, 13:33

I like him! And I thought we were required to send those Strelets bonus figures to Peter or something unpleasant would happen to us or our dear ones. Or our beer, same thing.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Jan 2016, 15:10

Gunnar I`ve only got three. So I`ll let Poor Polyphemus eat them. :-D :-D :-D

The Cyclopes favorite meal is stir-fry Strelets figures with Sprouts and a dash of sugar on them. :-D

:read: " He`s only Kidding Peter."

:-D That`s right Book Worm,everybody knows they hate sugar!" BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 26 Jan 2016, 11:10

Beano Boy wrote:He`s only 9 cm high

Only? I would see you if you are 2,5 cm and meet that cyclops :xd: :xd: :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jan 2016, 03:31

Base colours all on.
Now i`ll lighten the two with three washes. The wound to the eye will be the last tiny piece of detail to do.

Very confident in painting these two toy figures now. _____________________ highlights next on skin and fur.

I paid £1.40 for each of these figures,and it cost me £8.00 to make the two bases. Yes, Mrs B,laughed too,but it still makes them rather tidy now and affordable toys.

:-D I will be painting Zulus next. That is after finishing a few scratch building projects.
See you guys later BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 27 Jan 2016, 09:10

Looking good! Looking forward to your zulus!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jan 2016, 15:00

Thank you Gunnar,they dried lighter than the picture shows,it being the case both were still wet when i took the photo-shots. So they are nearly finished. Remembering that they were Gold colored at the off set of painting i am rather pleased with the way they are beginning to look. My own white undercoat has proved very successful,and by adding a spot of Red to Tanned Flesh,gave me a good base color to work from,and one that i could gradually lighten with two lighter color washes,painted on. Two thinned out mixes of my own. It helps having the name of the color`s on the bottles. Because it is a struggle painting when colorblind it is always Mrs B`s perfect eye sight is very reliable for me.
Sample Skin Tones on Zulus,is going well in pratice. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Jan 2016, 03:01

Although i have finished painting these two Man Eating Cyclopes in Acrylic Paint and Ink,
i will protect the work with a coat of varnish. My own mix of Pigments added.
( Eye Shadow being one of them)
As you may have noticed i changed the fur garment to that of Wolf Fur,which i thought apt to do because being Shepherds ment looking after thier Flocks and where there`s Sheep,there`s Wolves too.
Well at least in my head of over expanding reasoning. And Big Buggers Too!
The wounded eye needs a touch up after when all is dry.

So one more picture to post later on for this Work in Progress Topic

For Now It`s Fingers Crossed On How They Turn Out. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 28 Jan 2016, 09:06

Wolf fur looks much better! Now you just need an Odysseus with crew. Or a wolfpack.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Kekso on 29 Jan 2016, 11:23

Susofrick wrote: Now you just need an Odysseus with crew.

That would be awesome
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 29 Jan 2016, 21:02

Great brushwork Paul! :thumbup:

Pity they ate the Strelets figures! :(
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jan 2016, 08:07

Well i do have the small size Atlantic Greeks,but i think 28mm figures would be just about the right size figures to use. However i have doubt if i could do little justice to perhaps the scene that you see played out in your own imagination guys. Emotive Language coupled with pictures is well intended to stir such imaginations. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
i would like to be able to do the sheep,the wolves,that towering Cliff,the Greeks,the Boat and the sea with giant plumes of water,but that is far to epic for my limited time left.
As i look back upon this tiny large. Well over large topic,i am well pleased with its outcome,not because i am a good painter. No never that. It is the fact that these cheap toy figures have so dramatically changed from being boring to that of being interesting. They are now a big part in more ways than one in the Toy Figure Collection.

My next challenge combating my handicap of sight is the start today, `Sunday 30/01/2016`,of painting my full Regiment of 840 Zulus at Rorkes Drift. Painting the Cyclopes was just an exercise to get my minds eye set into painting rhythm again. So wish me Luck,i will need it. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Jan 2016, 13:39

Well thats that then,both are finished,and i`ve enjoyed painting them,and writing the story too. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 30 Jan 2016, 19:51

The final result looks fantastic Paul! Great job done! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Next page

Return to Work in Progress