Modelling

Ships Guns

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Aug 2015, 10:42

M & C the F S O the W

Just One Of Jack Aubrey`s Ships

H M S SURPRIZE

She was armed with 28 , 12 Pounder Long Guns, and not the usual 9 Pounders, or 32 Pounder Carronade. In 1/72 scale, What size Brass Guns would I need for Lucky Jack Aubrey`s Ship? I was thinking they would be 32mm by 6mm diameter Guns. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Paul on 01 Aug 2015, 11:55

You could ask wether the 12pdr´s in this set are for sale individually
http://germania-figuren.com/gx2/product ... hnitt.html
I got one (I´m not sure what calibre it is) with this set
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2207
and it really is a lovely piece
Paul  China

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Aug 2015, 14:01

Thank you Paul for the interest and added information.I do have lots of plastic Guns suitable,and 4 Boxes of Hat sailors and Marines. So more than enough personal to man Neddy`s Ship. There is a small opportunity to buy Max amount of metal guns so in for a Penny in for a Pound,as the old saying goes.

These are the 32mm Brass Guns . I will make all the other parts myself. So I`ll order 30,and then in due time make the carriages.

Other size Guns are,54mm,50mm,44mm,34mm, 29mm, and 26mm, plus Carronade 32 Pounders.
O` Well it`s back to ancient Egypt for me. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Emperor on 01 Aug 2015, 16:05

Emperor  

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Aug 2015, 11:43

After further extensive research revealed far to many differing sized Guns,this project has been shelved, but while doing it ,it was a real joy to my old noggin of a head. There being no 12 pounder Long Guns aboard her ever.
So just what were the Guns on HMS Surprise?
First of all In 1794 she was a French Class Corvette named UNITE,with 24 x 8 Pounder Long Guns,and 8 x 4 Pounder Long Guns.

UNITE was captured in 1796 intact by HMS INCONSTANT, and renamed HMS SURPRISE. Soon She was refitted out with 24x32 Pounder Long Guns,10 x 18 POUNDER Carronades, and 2x4 Pounder Guns.
Sorry Guys,Massive Brass 32 Pounder Guns make this a no go area, unless I build my own Foundry.
Never mind Neddy, there will be other projects.

"Could you do one Gun BB?"

" What like this one Neddy?" _____" Yip! "_____ I`ll think on it Neddy."___" OK BB."

M & C the F S O the W
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World,Movie and Book ,does somewhat cload out certain facts of history concerning HMS SURPRISE. The Author Patrict O`Brian does write extremely well of Lucky Captain Jack Aubrey, in fiction,just as I try to do with Neddy ! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by CPN on 16 Aug 2015, 10:32

Hi Mr Beano,

Have you a had a look at Hincliffe models. they have very nice 18 Pounder gun in metal with several choices for naval, garrison of field carriage. I bought a couple of them for my Britih siege battery (Peninsular campaign). I do think they look and size great.
here is an example of such British gun gun : http://www.hinchliffe.co.uk/LIB/1060.JPG
link to :
http://www.hinchliffe.co.uk/home.htm
then go into the following section on the main page :
"Click here to view our latest List of Wargames Figures for Sale section.* " then go on the 25mm equipment menu .

I hope this helps.
CPN
CPN  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Aug 2015, 13:34

Well thank you CPN, for your info,and for taking interest. The Gun looks good.
I have been looking around ,and I have obtained twelve 18pounders with a saving of a quarter of the original cost I first saw on Line. That's one third of the Guns needed.
So in spite of this project having been shelved, it is not totally out of the question,because the Guns are out there. Well Ship Mates,i take my leave. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by KenzoSato on 02 Sep 2015, 12:09

fantastic
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Sep 2015, 16:54

Thank you KenzoSato for your interest.

Now Guys,saving money is not always my aim,because you must buy what is available at any given time. However as for more Guns,these Perry`s 28mm 25 Pounders would serve well with my fancy taking shape to re-mount them and others besides too on scratch built Gun Carriages. These cannon actually need drilling out so in theory one could make working Guns. All you need is black powder,and someone brave enough to spark it off.For obvious reasons,that is one tutorial I will not be doing.

Up grading to a larger size is not really a problem.

What does one buy first on building a small ship? Do you buy the Guns first,or start to build the ship without any? Where does one build a decent size ship for fun? Well a Shipyard is good.

Or a very large 6 foot Craft table where you can build it. Delivered a few days ago,this two and a half foot wide table will give me more spreading out room,but Mrs B,said I must be more tidy.

I knew I should have never lifted that brush.

Talking of tidying up ,there are lots that I will finish off before tackling such a project,but even though still shelved materials for it can be gathered. Like the anchors below.

All you need do is twist them using two pairs of plyers. Paint them and add the rope. Job Done.
Even the ships wheel can be converted for use.

The cost 9 pence each for a ships anchor is magic. BB

( My topic 17mm Anchors for Scratch Building Projects. On Modelling.)
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Sep 2015, 05:28

Sometimes imagination needs a little help when contemplating modelling anything. A slight nudge in the right direction sort of. There`s a wealth of info on Line a finger tip away. Tap!Tap! So it was that this appeared when I Googled `Ships Guns.` Ka-Pow! A News Report. It concerned a British Ship named The London.

Warships 17th century gun carriage raised from the bottom of the Thames estuary. It had been discovered in the wreck of the English warship, The London,built by Oliver Cromwell`s government in 1650`s.

The 1.6 Metre Long, 70 Centimetre wide piece of artillery equipment would have held a 9 foot long cannon, capable of firing 24 pound cannon balls up to two miles. It was raised up in near perfect condition. It is true I know what a Gun Carriage looks like,but sometimes others who read this topic may not. So I thought it apt to place this little scrap of information here to add interest. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Jan 2016, 21:20

A few more for the shelf £6.40 for 4 :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Gowan on 13 Jan 2016, 21:02

@Beano Boy, where did you get those model cannon in the end? As a avid wargaming ship builder I would appreciate knowing where to get me some cannon. The Pirate sloop the Abigail will need some more cannon.
Gowan  

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Jan 2016, 06:50

Tried in vain to get info on who produced those cannon. Mrs B,ordered them on her PC, last year and sent me the picture. which i posted here. The darn things never arrived ( In the end out of stock. ) Mrs B, finally refounded, P`d off with the whole debacle deleted them from her accounts and book marks. Sorry.

However,all is not lost at sea,because as it rolled in i caught another fresh wave upon the Internet,and
i just ordered these 32mm in length brass cannon. £5.70 plus 75 p postage.4 to a pack,and i ordered two packs of 4. One can order as many as you like the postage remains 75p. In UK

GOWAN, Sellers info these are available on E Bay 9806pavel in several sizes

Slight easy trimming on those wheels once fitted and then dress the carriage up, stain,paint or whatever. Job Done. The cannon can be ordered job lot without the carriage if wanting to make your own stuff.

I will review these when they arrive. If they check out i aim to buy some 40mm length ones later,they being yes at present out of stock. Have fun guys. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Gowan on 15 Jan 2016, 07:23

BB I can't find those. Can you tell me what brand they were or some other details, please?
Gowan  

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Jan 2016, 11:48

Oddly i could not get the Seller 9806 when i typed it in on my e bay account.

However Gowan, go onto E Bay,and Type in what is below

4 historical cannons on the carriages for ships

from the Fiddle Wood UK :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Gowan on 17 Jan 2016, 09:36

@Beano Boy

Cheers that worked. Thanks :-)
Gowan  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jan 2016, 16:00

JUST A CRUDE SKETCH INCLUDING THE FIRST 18 POUNDER LONG GUN

The wheels need sanding down and the wood wedge needs placing.

Crude cannon ball rack drawn where the real balls will be stacked .

The Gun Crew are damaged figures i had loose laying around.

There will be 10 x 18 Pounders 4 x 4 Pounders on the upper decks. Plus Swivel Guns. Main Armament 24 x 32 Pounder Long Guns . All Brass Cannon.
That`s the Plan. All the Ships Guns should arrive soon. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jan 2016, 17:16

For those interested the 32 Pounder Long Guns will be 54mm in length,and the 10x18 Pounders are 32 mm in length. The 4 Pounder Guns are Pursuit Guns to be mounted in two`s Fore & Aft. So i will be making all the Guns up for the self.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 20 Jan 2016, 21:51

Now it gets interesting! ;-)

Looking forward how you will build that ship section!
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Jan 2016, 20:29

Peter I expect it will be a case of half jointing the ribs of the ship to interlock each section into a keel in order to shape the hull. Every form required is shown in line on the blue print. All one has to do is learn how best to read them.

Then clad it,like they do real sailing ships,but without stuffing string in between each plank.

i`ll make a large Base.The top being a SEASCAPE made from Dried Oats, P V A Glue,Varnish,home made Hodge Pudge Resin.and Paints. Topped with varnish.That will cradle the ship in place very much the same way as my Indian Canoe was set into the river.
Do you remember?
The cheap dried oats are worked into the resin to build up the uneven waves.
All one has to be is crazy like me to do it. BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Modelling