Tutorials

On The Cutting Table: Something

Posted by Kekso on 04 Jan 2016, 11:03

You're very handy, neat and precise with scratchbuilding Paul. To be honest sometimes I don't read all text you write but I enjoy watching your wip photos... more than once.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by KGV on 04 Jan 2016, 21:56

I always enjoy your WIP, and can honestly say that I have learnt quite a lot. Thanks.
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Jan 2016, 00:11

Thank`s Dalibor,as you don`t read my stuff to well,here`s some more. He ,He, He. Only friendly banter my friend. KGV, as one Veteran to another ,Thanks Mate for the encouragement. :thumbup:

Its been a rough trip getting to grips with posting pictures lately.
Dam PC Update ruined the way i liked to do stuff.
My organised photograph files are now stuck onto three photo sections when the two i had before were ample.

I managed to get some Pub Signs for my various builds. I need 8 different ones in total,for all the Pub`s in Honey Well.__________________ Those tiny ho oo fellows certainly like their Ale! Especially the Engineers driving the Trains. The Pubs are already built.
The Signs have got to be shrink down to postage size. Mrs B,will do that for me she`s quite a wiz with the printer.

As for my cutting table a few things are going on. Lots more chimneys for lots more houses of various shapes and sizes. A Victorian School is to be modeled based on the one in Catton Village. So there`ll be a few posts here rather than opening up another topic.

Although this little house has gone together as planned i have decided to alter the shape of the dormer windows. Not a big deal really its just a matter of cutting into the roof by Six 16 th`s . The Chimneys are based upon the very tall ones on the houses of Old Catton.

With the alteration to the dormers,i had to redesign larger brackets that will in fact form the end wall to each dormer. With the thought of shop safety i stuck the brackets onto another piece of card. So this is my safety tip.

It might seem a waste to spread them out onto a large size piece,but these are very tiny things to cut out,and before actually cutting them out fully the sloop needs cutting first. This will form the corner wall to each dormer. So the wide space is where the paper card can be held tight while this cut is being made with relative ease.

Four sloops cut out this side and then turning the card over four sloops cut down on the other side.

This makes Left and Right sided brackets.

And Mits are left on ones hand rather than being cut off and bleeding all over the place.

Keep watching this space because updates will be bunged upon here quite often. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 06 Jan 2016, 13:06

I like the purple Macintosh toffees the most! Those with a nut in them! :mrgreen:

I was wondering how your fingers were, but I see you built some safety in it, whit wriring "fiingers here"! :-D

Looks great so far! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Jan 2016, 10:55

My fingers are fine Peter,and the word Flingers,is a play word i used to use when playing Fingers on Head.It being much more fun saying Flingers on whatever,and so on when playing with my children a million years ago.
As for the sweets i eat one,every time i stick a roof bracket in,and what with the chewing and the sticking I get double the enjoyment when putting it together.

The roof is on and soon the roof over the four dormers will be tiled too.
This side wall is rather plan which was my intention, because i want a small extension added in the middle of the wall. The Strelets figure is that of General Picton,and the house along with the other figures are ho oo scale. He looks massive!

Because i have to make a few,the box shape needed can be seen drawn out for another. A rather simple thing with doorway and window marked out as is the slopping roof. The door and window were fitted the same way as before and It folded up and closed together in the same way as the corners of the house did.

All painted B & W at present but the dressing up and color is the next easy stage. Rendered walls throughout.
___________________________________________ AND NOW GUYS _________________________________________

The First Project ,On The Cutting Table.

The Spray Booth & Lazy Susan.

Made from recycled Paper Card.

Total Cost Nothing!

Now working on half jointed locking brackets to curve the bottom.

After drilling out the new Mk 2 Lazy Susan three and a half inch Base,
it Spins like a Whirligig! Solid Magic! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Jan 2016, 11:05

Is it possible for Benno,or another Moderator,
to please edit out the first 13 blank photo spaces at the beginning ? If so Thumbs Up. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 08 Jan 2016, 20:16

Paul, if we remove the blank photo spaces at the beginning, the post doesn't make any sence no more.
Maybe you can send us new image links, so we can replace them?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Jan 2016, 17:39

Why the slit in the floor? That`s a good question.

There will be a light fitted into the bottom of all the buildings,and like light traveling up stair wells in real houses this light will put a glimmer to the top windows. Well worth a mention.

The Dormer Roofs

Universal Black

Fixing The Fascia under the Eaves

These can be either stone or wood.

Outside Mantel

So the cutting continues. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Jan 2016, 18:56

This little box Four and a half inches long, by two and a quarter inches wide by three inches high, is now being dressed up in stone rather than wooden beams. I feel edged in stone work will give it more of a substantial look. The walls will still be rendered up and painted very much like many in the Village.

I need to trim the paper strips off slightly and the lean to will fit snug in place.

Three Stone door steps will be stuck onto a simple base so the building will be held in nicely by three points.

A few more window sills to stick into place. Then the real painting can begin.It will be good to slap some paint upon that black roof. The gutters and down pipes can be fixed on, which i have already made and painted,and the roof finished off with everything in place. This is one of two sample ho oo scale buildings I`ve been working on. Tiny but nice. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jan 2016, 03:35

The chimney lead flashing has been stuck onto the bottom of each chimney.It is only a matter of cutting a card and splitting it down the middle. Folding it in half and sticking it in place.The chimney`s are not attached yet to the roof. Painting the roof next. Then they can be. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 19 Jan 2016, 22:11

Nice little bit of art Paul! Go on! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 20 Jan 2016, 09:37

I agree, that is ART
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Emperor on 20 Jan 2016, 13:34

Man Beanoy Boy, you sure produce a lot of stuff... I guess it is never boring at your place...
Emperor  

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Jan 2016, 19:29

Hi guys thank you for your kind comments. :thumbup: If i have any real expressions to make in my hobby work,they are on how to get around problems in model making, having fun,and saving money.
Although never bored i am however winding down.___________I get tired out just waking up.
Today i was able to make a base for my Cyclopes Figure.So that was something out of my comfit zone, but very enjoyable.
I guess i am not the first hobbyist though to get a blister using that Green Stuff! :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Mar 2016, 15:17

The roofs and chimney`s have been dry brushed.
A top ridge line has to be put into place.
Lean to buildings have been added.
The marking out lines on each wall have been painted over.
So the final painting upon these walls will take place next.

With my hands not being to steady to paint fine things at present
i am however trying to finish this topic off.

So hopefully i will complete tiny bases already planed and show them next all finished.
Thanks for looking BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 21 Mar 2016, 18:20

Lovely! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Cryns on 21 Mar 2016, 18:40

Hi Beano Boy,

What lovely houses you are building up there in the north! The chimneys are heavy, it is clear you live in a cold climate. These houses are what you desire: very warm and cosy inside.
I like the lean to-buildings. They always make a modelhouse look lively, realistic and rural.
Apart from your buildings (I have seen the nice, typical English or Scottish thatched roof houses of yours too in another topic) you made some really nice trees too.

Your shaking hands worry me a little. You wrote about that before. Are you ill? Or just getting older? It makes me realize I have not 'forever' to be a fine scale modeler too. I already lose sharpness in my eyes. When will my hands start to shake?

I hope you will recover soon!
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Mar 2016, 19:12

I actually live in the East of England,and can trace my line back to the time of Duke William himself who granted title and lands upon Butch Beano The Bad, after quite a Battle at the local Saxon Church in Olde Catton 1066.

The Chimneys were inspired by the large prominent ones upon the houses in Old Catton Village. They skirt along the pathway leading past the early Saxon Church in Church Street,and those living in them were ordered to grow knot gardens in their tiny front gardens by the local Lord.It was there and then that Lord Buxton back in the day wanted a social statement concerning the houses he himself provided for his workers.They were allotted an amount of coal once a year. So massive chimneys certainly achieved that aim in the village in 1848. The Government of the day ordered all landowners that they must provide Houses and Schools for the common people and certainly it was such a Radical Reform for Victorian Great Britain. Just along from those houses lays the School with its red brick and grey tile roof and its large tall arched windows.A place common to its day with its two stone doorways one for Boys the other for the Girls both cut deep into stone over each door,and both lead to the same curridor the other side of those harsh cold walls. Things were better but still quite tough.

I bend the rules when scratch building because i squeeze two houses into one and in that case my little house is a little different.

My four by Two Inch Little House by two Inches in Height is actualy three houses in one. Four Walls and Lean to`s all with doors and windows. As one walks around the layout another garden another street on the other side. Designed by myself to squeeze hundreds of houses along seven streets.________It fools the eye,and is pure illusion based upon higher mathimatics. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Jul 2016, 23:17

Fluttering Off The Cutting Table A Certain Dead Eye Dick Something.
An Off- Cut Of Odd Sorts.
A Homemade Handy Thing.
Butterfly Wings!
An Instrumental Tool to save cutting out longer sections that might turn out to be wrong.
So it`s a Guage To Set In Place A Measurement!
:shock: "But How?"
:o " And on What?"

Scroll down and see.

With using Universal Fittings one only has to measure once,then check again before cutting long strips.
However just to be on the right side of, :sst: i`mmmm, being correct i decided on the Butterfly Wings check to make sure.

Bridge Paper Card Top

The Butterfly when folded shows that every piece will fit snugly into place.

Well that seems straight forward to me and requiring no Laser Cut Thing a Me Jig!
The best tools to use are what we were born with. :mrgreen: "That`s handy to know that BB."
:cowboy: " It sure is,Lets Raise Some Rails!"
Shouted Out! That eccentric Cowboy, who always sleep in his boots. ;-)

So there we have it. Before raising rails or indeed water one needs a bridge or a viaduct.
So lets see how to build one or two from scratch.
:-D " Yes lets Raise some Narrow Boats Too."

:cowboy: " This is Gonna Be like "Hell on Wheels!"

Has anyone seen that on TV?

Two pieces of paper card are cut out.

Good quality P V A Glue is being used. Buy the cheap stuff and you are paying for 40% more for water they slosh into it. A pretty good mark up in price for those producing it.

Both have the glue brushed onto one side in complete Beano Boy Style! :-D "He he."
They are left for a few minutes. Long enough to make a cup of tea,then both are stuck onto another sheet of card.

Heavy books will weight them down, and because i left the glue to settle a bit they are not skidding around like musical penguins upon ice. :mrgreen: " I`d love ta see musical Peguins!"

Later each piece was cut out again. One piece is glued up,as well as this wedge of polystyrene which has already been measured and cut out. Both are left for a while to dry out a little.

So another brew up.

Yes more tea,and I drunk it down,with a few well dunked in biscuits.

Then the two were stuck together,and a few lighter books were put on top. :read: "BB`s got books a plenty." ___ :cowboy:" He sure has,but those are Mrs B`s books."__ :sst: "O`,my!"__ :mrgreen: " He he it`s lucky Mrs B,has gone out and about."
Later: the other card was stuck onto the other side of the poly! The glue was let dry out a bit before sticking up time. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: "We love that glue!" __ :affraid: "Crazy smilies."__ :winky: " Yah! Very true,and BB`s got e`m all talking now just to urritate!"

The edges were checked for square!

Marked out side cards.

Stuck into place,with ongoing work on others.

So this is the very strong thick road-bed of the bridge with lighter books on top again.
:read: " The Polystyrene will lessen the sound of the rolling stock as it passes over it. Before on the old hollow vibrating railway viaduct the sounds seemed rather spooky,like weird humming style chanting!" _____ :sst: :sst: " We didn`t like it."__ :affraid: " Scared the pants off me." ___ :cowboy: " I sleep in me boots so I was wide awake and a running!"

The first section of viaduct is for either,road rail or canal.

MAKING METAL BRACKETS

marked out card showing patterns of back to back bracket parts.

The pins are put into place.

Above a Mystery!

:coffee: Time for Tea. Then i`ll get started on the others. Hopefully I`ll see you guys later. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by dykio on 29 Jul 2016, 09:14

Hi Paul,

Finished your thea already? Because i realy am wandering what those last pieces on the last picture are going to be. So hurry up :coffee: :-D

Great topic this is btw :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
dykio  Netherlands

Previous pageNext page

Return to Tutorials