Tutorials

On The Cutting Table: Something

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Dec 2015, 14:01

It is true i could afford to buy one,but where is the fun in that.
One could be knocked up using wood.

So here`s a tool well worth the making.
However i wonder if there are those that could figure out what a scratch build something this is.
This is something I need or there would be no point in making it.

Everything on the table is needed,and it has been designed for my needs. So it may not suit others. However like the last drop of water that finally overturns the bucket ,this too will certainly turn.

(1)

Last edited by Paul on 01 Apr 2018, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pic links unobtainable - "downed" /Altered links removed
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 19 Dec 2015, 16:57

I see that you use a lot of that cardboard. Where do you get it?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Emperor on 19 Dec 2015, 22:24

I was interested in one of those, since I saw one in some show on YT...Anyway I was hopping for one of those with rotating motor, so that you can rotate it...
Emperor  

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Dec 2015, 23:15

This is designed to spin on a pivot. That`s the whole point in making it,and the Spaying Booth. No need for a motor that`s share and utter nonsense. save your money and make one.

My design feature makes it possible for one finger to move it . It Spins like a well oiled Spinning Top especially after i rubbed Candlel Wax on to the Spindel Pivot.

I Buy Bulk on E Bay or Amazon Dalibor.
My History Sales on Line only go back to 2013,so i have no address.
Any Big Arts & Craft Store Should Have It in Stock.
It Is Paper Picture Mounting Card 34 X 24 inches . BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 19 Dec 2015, 23:17

Kekso wrote:I see that you use a lot of that cardboard. Where do you get it?

Go to a picture framer.

These guys use quality card as mounting boards for their framing.

They cut out the centre of a sheet in order to fit in whatever they're framing (photo, painting, certificate etc).

This square becomes waste. I found if you ask nicely, they'll give you lots for free (only once have I been asked to pay a nominal amount).

All the cardboard you'd ever need.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 19 Dec 2015, 23:18

Emperor wrote:I was interested in one of those, since I saw one in some show on YT...Anyway I was hopping for one of those with rotating motor, so that you can rotate it...

There's lots of options on ebay: they're not dear:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/1812840 ... ue&viphx=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360-Rotating ... HGsvP7dMVQ

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Dec 2015, 00:29

The stuff I`m using will melt plastic that`s why i made the thing in paper card. Experimentation using wood dyes and acrylic paint. To melt in special effects rather tan paint it. You see there are those who do ,and those who do nothing. I know which one i am.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Dec 2015, 12:15

I buy sheets of high quality paper card 34 inches X 24 inces.________________ Not framed ___________ It is the quality card used by Picture framing._______________ I am trying to find the sheet`s used by JARROLDS PRINTING,JARROLDS HIGH STREET STORE IN NORWICH. GO tell them they are not selling high quality paper card. They made it for over 100 years._______________THIS PROJECT IS NOW CANCILLED. Paul Howes
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Dec 2015, 20:59

Some more display stands; some rotating some not.

I like the one with lights in the base.

I think you could do something with that:
http://www.rocketfin.com/collectibles-display-base.cfm

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Dec 2015, 21:01

For those who have the time & inclination to make something rather than buy it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4DhVd1NfVs
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by KGV on 20 Dec 2015, 21:40

Beano Boy wrote:I buy sheets of high quality paper card 34 inches X 24 inces.________________ Not framed ___________ It is the quality card used by Picture framing._______________ I am trying to find the sheet`s used by JARROLDS PRINTING,JARROLDS HIGH STREET STORE IN NORWICH. GO tell them they are not selling high quality paper card. They made it for over 100 years._______________THIS PROJECT IS NOW CANCILLED. Paul Howes

Have you just thrown your toys out of the pram?

I find most of your posts very informative, and quite useful.

I was looking forward to this thread.

Shame.
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 20 Dec 2015, 21:48

KGV wrote:[

I was looking forward to this thread.

So why not continue it?

Looking at various dioramatists (I'm talking about you, Santi) I've started thinking of displaying a *bit* of my stuff. So display stands were in my mind.

Another area is the carved wooden pot stands you get for Chinese vases. These can be found in dollar shops & would make great display stands. Non-rotating of course.

The cheap prices of stuff from Asia REALLY should be looked at as there are loads of options & it is just an internet purchase away.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Dec 2015, 01:15

Hi guys,on a lighter note. The Links to E Bay shown here show the products which are all fine ,and good for simple jobs,but upon looking into it further they do not post to the United Kingdom. Well we are talking post from OZ! I dare say popping into your local Cake Shop might pay off,by gaining more info on the subject of obtaining one. Of course you can always make a cheeky offer to buy the biggest cake they have if they throw one of those things in for free. If you don`t ask you don`t receive. If they do, save me a big slice. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Dec 2015, 01:38

Alway aiming to help members.
This one on E Bay: Lazy Susan 28 cm. £6.47 Free Post UK :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 21 Dec 2015, 12:20

Paul, can I have the cake and you can take that cake holder? :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Dec 2015, 15:30

Sorry Dalibor,
I`ve eaten both. Well i thought them both edable. So from here in intensive care have fun. :-D
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Dec 2015, 02:45

I must Apologies,for not being able to finish this post. I made the MK1 Lazy Paul,a few days ago. I have managed to post these pictures in quite an indirect way.I have managed to post indirectly from my Blog. I moved pictures from File,______to Picture Gallery for editing._______ Then placed pictures on my Blog,_____ Then onto tinypics,and_____________________Then here onto the Forum. It took a while but,Phewwww! I made it. :read: " You did it BB." ______________ :cowboy: " Yah! Now you`ll sleep sound."

This project is not a Lazy Susan whereby you present work for show. This is a heavy duty designed for my needs Turntable for the simple Spraying Booth I made. I was hoping to have lots of fun on this topic,but the end result was not to be the case. The Plane is a sacrificial Lamb so to speak,because i have never attempted the likes of what i intend to do. So this is going to be very interesting and cutting edge for me me.

This is of course upside down and i designed it to be moved simply by a mere finger or if stick with paint a sort wooden dowel. I am currently working on a Mk 2,version that will highly improve this rather large tools performance.

It will be a few days before i can spray this part built model.

I certainly did need a good prefabricated Spray Booth.So that`s why i designed it. i`ve got stash a plenty and by the hundreds to paint with undercoat.

So this is going to be a very useful tool indeed. I`ll post the result of what is on my painting table as soon as possible. One thing i do know this thing certainly spins. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Jan 2016, 00:52

A new year and my first little scratch build. I have designed chimneys that have been rendered up.

The shapes were cut out,and glued onto scrap paper card. Then left for five minutes then a heavy book was placed upon them. This waiting avoids pieces skidding around. Once dry they were cut out around the edges and then stuck onto card again. Four parts in total make this section up.

Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Jan 2016, 01:16

:read: "Sorry BB, pressed submit by mistake,"
i believe the pictures are a good guide.It is only a matter of assembling the parts.
One thing i will add now ,is once the four pieces that make the main chimneys up have been finally cut out the facing paper is peeled off to give that rendered look. Where the lines are down the sides,is no great problem,because each side must be stuck onto facing paper that has been peeled off. Of course the flat side is the sticking point,and when glue is dry the paper is trimmed around the edges leaving a good rendered finish all around.

Here are the two painted with S Matt Paint this makes then very hard and the next stage is painting the chimney pots and then dry brushing overall for effect. If a rougher job of render is needed,simply stipple a base colour of emulsion onto the sides, then dry brush. I will be placing many a project here, On The Cutting Table :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Jan 2016, 10:29

Hi guys,just take a walk down the line. It will take you to where i am on the scratch build.

Update Soon BB
Beano Boy  England

Next page

Return to Tutorials